shape
carat
color
clarity

Question about engagement ring setting adjustment.

beesbop0131

Rough_Rock
We are getting married next January and picked out/ordered our wedding bands in March (at our jeweler's trunk show - great prices). I picked a band with three rows of small stones that wasn't part of a set with my engagement ring, but was very similar. I really liked the band, and with the trunk show price, it was in our budget (but still more expensive than the engagement/band set ring). There was a little gap between my engagement ring and the band, and the jeweler we work with said that it was because the band was too large for me (by 2 sizes) and that it would sit flush to my engagement ring once it was sized properly. Great! That's what I want - for the rings to sit flush with one another.

We got the rings resized and when we went to try them, lo and behold the rings don't sit flush. And it became obvious to me, that it wasn't an issue of the band being too large, but the stones being too high compared to my engagement ring setting. I know that this can be sort of hard to achieve when you aren't working with a set of rings, but I'm a little bummed (and sort of feel like I was told something that wasn't true to get me to buy a more expensive ring...) I asked the jeweler (a different woman) who was there when I tried the resized band on if it would be possible to raise the center stone on my engagement ring slightly and she said they'd essentially have to remake the whole ring and that it would be very expensive. My concern is that because of the height of the band, the stones on the underside of my ring will be rubbing against the stones on the band.

Is adjusting the height of the center stone of an engagement ring very difficult to do? I admittedly know nothing about this. I just feel like I was told one thing (that sizing would fix the gap) and now that they've sold me the ring...

I haven't talked to the woman who my fiance and I have worked with all along the way, so she may tell me something different. I'm just trying to know what I'm talking about (even a little!) Any advice would be appreciated!

photo__6_19.jpg

photo__7_21.jpg

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The height of the center stone is not the problem, it's the height of the basket. And yes, to adjust that you'd have to remake the entire ring. Either way, the pave band of your e-ring would rub on a pave wedding band and they would both still be damaged. I would find a small plain spacer (many sell on Etsy for less than $100) and see if that helps push the bands further away from each other and the basket. Otherwise, you could find a channel set band or a plain wedding band.

ETA: I would never go back to that jeweler again for several reasons. Sizing 2 sizes down for a pave band can create a lot of problems and they should have told you about the possible damage to your set by wearing those styles together.

beesbop0131

Rough_Rock
Okay, good to know it's the basket, and thank you for clarifying that we'd have to remake the ring (bummer). Also, thanks for suggesting the spacer. Unfortunately, the band is already paid for and the idea of buying another band 1 - is frustrating, and 2 - isn't in the budget.

I should have clarified - they didn't resize my actual ring. The larger ring I tried on in the store was the sample ring, and the ring I had "resized" was actually made to fit my finger size. I will certainly bring up the possibility of damage with our jeweler when we meet with her later this week. No one ever mentioned to me the possibility of damage in wearing my 2 rings together.

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would be very frustrated as well! I would ask for an exchange or refund - the worst they can say is no. But it's definitely not wearable as is. :nono:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
beesbop0131|1401899568|3686401 said:
Okay, good to know it's the basket, and thank you for clarifying that we'd have to remake the ring (bummer). Also, thanks for suggesting the spacer. Unfortunately, the band is already paid for and the idea of buying another band 1 - is frustrating, and 2 - isn't in the budget.

I should have clarified - they didn't resize my actual ring. The larger ring I tried on in the store was the sample ring, and the ring I had "resized" was actually made to fit my finger size. I will certainly bring up the possibility of damage with our jeweler when we meet with her later this week. No one ever mentioned to me the possibility of damage in wearing my 2 rings together.

It might be less expensive to buy another band as opposed to having another ering made - depends on what you paid for this band I guess. I'd discuss a refund with the jeweler, you received incorrect info and the final result isn't what was promised. Or maybe some kind of exhange can be worked out - I don't know, but I'd discuss options with this jeweler.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results