carat
color
clarity

Grammar help

amc80

Ideal_Rock
I've got a grammar question. I just heard this:

"I was wondering about my father and I's relationship."

I know that "I's" is totally wrong, always. But what is correct?

"...my father's and my..."? <--that's my best guess.

I'm pretty good at grammar but this is the type of thing that I never get. I'd probably just reword it to "my relationship with my father" because I'm not sure what to say.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think your best guess is correct, but I think the rewording at the end sounds much better.

D

Deactivated member 42515

I learned that you are always supposed to think "how would I say it if I was to just talk about myself?"

So, you would say "I was wondering about my relationship." Not "I's relationship." So, you would use the word my.

I could be wrong though.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I agree. I would just reword it. Good question though.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Okay...so what about this-

The car is bob's and mine.

It is bob's and my car.

Are those correct?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The car belongs to Bob and I ??...me think... :praise:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1401773267|3685377 said:
The car belongs to Bob and I ??...me think... :praise:

+1

purplesparklies

Brilliant_Rock
The car is Bob's and mine.
Or
The car belongs to Bob and me.
Or
Bob and I own the car.

All depends on where it occurs in the sentence, subject or object. YT is correct in that you consider how you would say it if you were speaking of only yourself.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
You take out the other name & think of the sentence only with one pronoun: Does the "car belong to I?" No. The car belongs to me. The car belongs to Bob and me. I'm worried about my relationship. I'm worried about my father's and my relationship. "I's"??? That can't be a native English speaker, please!

Lately I've heard often, "It was up to Tom and I to go." Wrong! "It was up to ME to go." It was up to Tom and me to go.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JewelFreak|1401801482|3685505 said:
You take out the other name & think of the sentence only with one pronoun: Does the "car belong to I?" No. The car belongs to me. The car belongs to Bob and me. I'm worried about my relationship. I'm worried about my father's and my relationship. "I's"??? That can't be a native English speaker, please!

Lately I've heard often, "It was up to Tom and I to go." Wrong! "It was up to ME to go." It was up to Tom and me to go.

Theirs no set and fast rule about these things, Laurie. People of got to use there own minds and make they're own decisions about the grammer there comfortable with.

Deb
:saint:

amc80

Ideal_Rock
AGBF said:
Theirs no set and fast rule about these things, Laurie. People of got to use there own minds and make they're own decisions about the grammer there comfortable with. Deb :saint:

Hahaha. Took me a second.

I hear "I's" all the time, by native speakers. People think "I" is always correct. It drives me crazy, definitely one of my pet peeves.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Oh, Deb, of course your rite as always!

--- Laurie

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
amc80|1401806438|3685532 said:
AGBF said:
Theirs no set and fast rule about these things, Laurie. People of got to use there own minds and make they're own decisions about the grammer there comfortable with. Deb :saint:

I hear "I's" all the time, by native speakers. People think "I" is always correct. It drives me crazy, definitely one of my pet peeves.

You tried to 'get' us, didn't you Deb? :bigsmile: I started to read your post knowing full well that it was yours, and I thought OMG, she's had a 'stroke' ! :-o After recovering from that shock, I re-read it noticing that all those mistakes were 'strategic' .

Just for the record, spell check picked up on 'grammer', but that was it. All the others are spelled correctly, but used incorrectly.

Too funny :appl: :appl: :wavey:

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
isaku5|1401810617|3685592 said:
amc80|1401806438|3685532 said:
AGBF said:

You tried to 'get' us, didn't you Deb? :bigsmile: I started to read your post knowing full well that it was yours, and I thought OMG, she's had a 'stroke' ! :-o After recovering from that shock, I re-read it noticing that all those mistakes were 'strategic' .

Just for the record, spell check picked up on 'grammer', but that was it. All the others are spelled correctly, but used incorrectly.

Too funny :appl: :appl: :wavey:

Hehe!
Love the intentional misuse! I see those often. :nono:

Don't get me started on spell check! I feel like half my day is spent explaining why the computer is wrong. I also hate the auto-correct feature that changes my (mostly) correct spelling and grammar so I have to go back and change it all again.

Kids rely so heavily on their computers that they don't have the first clue what is correct. I had to proofread the ONLY paper "A" had to actually write for her language arts class and was appalled by the massive errors. "They brung stuff with them." :-o
I hear it in every day conversations too.

I'm far from perfect, but it seems like many kids (and adults) are losing even the basics.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
TooPatient|1401817838|3685703 said:
Kids rely so heavily on their computers that they don't have the first clue what is correct. I had to proofread the ONLY paper "A" had to actually write for her language arts class and was appalled by the massive errors. "They brung stuff with them." :-o

I'm far from perfect, but it seems like many kids (and adults) are losing even the basics.

My kid(s) will hate me because I will constantly correct their grammar. My grandma did it to me when I was young...it was really annoying at the time, but now, I'm thankful for it. I'm far from perfect (hence the questions), but at least I know when I'm wrong.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
amc80|1401818877|3685717 said:
TooPatient|1401817838|3685703 said:

My kid(s) will hate me because I will constantly correct their grammar. My grandma did it to me when I was young...it was really annoying at the time, but now, I'm thankful for it. I'm far from perfect (hence the questions), but at least I know when I'm wrong.

Yep!

I've also been known to have "A" write a paragraph or two about something ... Without her computer :bigsmile:

You should have seen the look on her face when I told her what I wanted. She looked so very confused and asked how she was supposed to write if she couldn't use her computer. Um.... Paper and pencil

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You tried to 'get' us, didn't you Deb? :bigsmile: I started to read your post knowing full well that it was yours, and I thought OMG, she's had a 'stroke' !

I really wasn't trying to "get" anybody, Isabel. I figured that everyone reading this thread would be interested in grammar. I thought we would just share a laugh about a common Internet problem. My daughter has been complaining about the "there-their-they're" issue to me recently so it was on my mind. She also noted that people use "of" for "have" and-this was new to me-that they do not know when to use "then" and when to use "than". I had absolutely no idea that that was an issue! No idea at all! My daughter said that "than" has become the default word just as "I" has become the default word (instead of me). She says that people fear being caught saying "then" when they should say, "than" so that they say, "than" all the time. At least I believe that is what she said!!!

Deb/AGBF ;))

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1401820552|3685735 said:
You tried to 'get' us, didn't you Deb? :bigsmile: I started to read your post knowing full well that it was yours, and I thought OMG, she's had a 'stroke' !

I really wasn't trying to "get" anybody, Isabel. I figured that everyone reading this thread would be interested in grammar. I thought we would just share a laugh about a common Internet problem. My daughter has been complaining about the "there-their-they're" issue to me recently so it was on my mind. She also noted that people use "of" for "have" and-this was new to me-that they do not know when to use "then" and when to use "than". I had absolutely no idea that that was an issue! No idea at all! My daughter said that "than" has become the default word just as "I" has become the default word (instead of me). She says that people fear being caught saying "then" when they should say, "than" so that they say, "than" all the time. At least I believe that is what she said!!!

Deb/AGBF ;))
you or your?
worse or worst?

I type what ever pops up in my mind.. :oops: :lol:

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, it's definitely "my father's and my relationship."

If you ever watch The Bachelorette or Bachelor, the lead always says "Bill and I's relationship..." and it drives me batty.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
The one that almost ruptures my eardrums is - Me and Sophie are going to the mall.

This one has passed, thank goodness - How are you's? DH loved to reply, 'We's pretty good." :bigsmile:

jade119

Rough_Rock
"I was wondering about my relationship with my father."
or
"I was wondering about my father and our relationship."

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
jade119|1401834395|3685925 said:
"I was wondering about my relationship with my father."
or
"I was wondering about my father and our relationship."

I would reword the sentence as well. It sounds more natural.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I was wondering about the relationship between my father and me?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results