shape
carat
color
clarity

Thanks, Anti-Vaxxers. You Just Brought Back Measles in NYC.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Thanks, Anti-Vaxxers. You Just Brought Back Measles in N

kenny|1395697733|3640620 said:
Vaccination by state, well, according to a very pungent vegetable.
(Hey, that map looks a bit like my avatar.)

http://www.theonion.com/articles/do-you-vaccinate-your-children,35603/

I know the above imagae is meant in jest, but people may be surprised which states have higher and lower rates of vaccination... here is a link from the CDC showing rates of vaccination of kindergarten students for the school year 2012-2013.

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6230a3.htm?s_cid=mm6230a3_e#Tab1

...I'm pretty proud (albeit shocked) that Alabama was #1 -- at least we're doing something healthy! :lol:

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium

ming

Shiny_Rock

msop04|1395539334|3639658 said:
monarch64|1395538347|3639655 said:
Laila619|1395534648|3639643 said:
msop,

I'm pretty sure the Tdap vaccine insert says it has not been tested on pregnant women and that it's not to be administered to pregnant women. Is this not true anymore? I'm not talking about what doctors say, I'm referring specifically to the vaccine package itself.
I received the Tdap vaccine the day after I delivered my son. I am just too nervous to be getting vaccines when pregnant since they have not done any studies on pregnant women.

Laila, I'm glad you commented. After I read the above I had to google, and found this http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd-vac/pertussis/tdap-pregnancy-hcp.htm which says October 2012 was when the gov't in the US started recommending Tdap during pregnancy between 27-36 weeks. I had my daughter in May, 2012 so maybe that's why I was not given the Tdap? Sorry, I know you were asking Msop, and I'm not providing an answer anyway, but I was intrigued by what you posted.

SO MANY QUESTIONS. STILL SO PRO-VAX. ;)) :mrgreen:

Guess I should've read one more post! LOL

And monarch, that may be why your OB didn't push it?? Some docs are so afraid of lawsuits, they need some backing to say it's approved (like CDC). :))

Vaccines are Pregnancy Category C which means that they haven't been given to pregnant women in a clinical trial setting and it's up to the physician to decide if it should be administered.

The package inserts aren't written following the recommendations. The CDC recommendations follow the licensure of the vaccine.

justginger

Ideal_Rock

This year's flu shots down here are intradermal and I'm not loving them. The needle is smaller and more shallow than normal, so allegedly less pain -- but the administration seems to consist of physical assault, lol. The nurse gave my arm a proper whallop, and since the fluid isn't going subdermal, you get a little bubble of fluid (looks like when you get a Mantoux done). Far more coworkers, including myself, have had more redness, swelling, and now itchiness of the injection site, likely because the fluid is staying so close to the surface. Great for people who are scared of larger needles, but not so great for the epidermal side effects. I'd love to see the research into uptake of the antigens by Langerhans cells as well, since these new injections deliver the vax further away from them than before (I think?).

ming

Shiny_Rock

JustGinger, I did hear that injectors were really manhandling patients with the ID flu. I'm guessing they don't fully get the concept. I got a traditional flu shot this year so don't have personal experience but I may wait a few years and let the injectors figure it out :)

I try to stay out of immunology discussions but I did find this and thought it was interesting. You may as well: http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0012410

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Seems like hippies and Christians are to blame.

I say send US marshals with needles to every home.

Screw freedom.

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock

kenny said:
Seems like hippies and Christians are to blame.

I say send US marshals with needles to every home.

Screw freedom.

Freedom from vaccination? Don't see how this is a freedom issue. This is a public health issue!

These people need a lecture on rights vs responsibilities.

Yes, you have a right to your beliefs, but you have a responsibility to ensure that your beliefs don't infringe on someone else's right to live.

It's ironic that so many of these people who don't vaccinate are rabidly pro-life, yet are responsible for the deaths of so many others.

I'm still waiting for one of these people to explain to me where in their scripture it says not to vaccinate.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results