shape
carat
color
clarity

What is a good gift for a boy turning 5?

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Help! I need a gift for a little boy turning 5 this weekend and I have no clue. I want to keep it under $50. What's a good gift? I appreciate your suggestions.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A red Ferrari and a hot chick.

Oh wait, that might exceed $50.

screen_shot_2014-05-30_at_5.png

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
A watch to teach him to read time if he doesn't have one yet. Clothes printed with his favourite cartoon characters. Toy figurines of his favourite cartoon characters. Tickets for the family to the zoo or any place he's been wanting to go.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lego, always a hit. Anything with small cars, mine likes kits where you make things and do things and water bomb kits....

Hospatogi

Brilliant_Rock
I just went to a birthday party for a 5 year old last weekend . We bought him a Spider-Man back pack with his name embroidered on it. I was short on time so I did rush delivery and it arrived in three days. The packaging was great and it is well made. One of the letters were slightly off center but it wasn't too noticeable . It would look great even without the personalization. Needless to say it was a huge hit with the birthday boy! It's also available in store so if you have a Disney store close by I highly recommend it!
http://www.disneystore.com/backpacks-lunch-totes-accessories-the-amazing-spider-man-backpack-personalizable/mp/1350984/1000290/

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
I have a five year old and he loves transformers, power rangers, and legos.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Several of the paperback "Henry and Mudge" books if he a dog or the "Mr. Putter and Tabby" books if he has a cat or a combination of the two. I usually give five at a time. These are by author Cynthia Rylant. (Once I start giving these to a child who is going to remain a part of my life, I keep a list of the ones I have given so that I do not duplicate them. I have given the "Henry and Mudge" books to many young boys growing up.)

Link to reviews...http://www.amazon.com/Henry-And-Mudge-First-Book/dp/0689810059/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1401537363&sr=8-1&keywords=henry+and+mudge+the+first+book

Deb/AGBF
:read:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does he have pets and if not would his parents be good with that? Because a great gift for a child that age (IMO) would be a rescue animal. Teaches responsibility and unconditional love and well who wouldn't love a furbaby to love and care for? :love:

So not just dogs and cats but guinea pigs, hamsters, gerbils are good too. Of course those wouldn't be rescue (hopefully LOL) but still great animals to love!

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
If I don't know someone's interest well enough to choose an appropriate gift, then I would buy a gift card. The interests of 5 year-old boys can vary widely, so if you don't know, then I would suggest buying him a gift card to Toy-R-Us, Target, etc.

doubledouble

Shiny_Rock
How about a nice kite?

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Legos were always our go to gift. He LOVES them. He's into the technic and robotics now though.

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
THANK YOU!! :appl:
THANK YOU!! :appl: :appl:
THANK YOU!!! :appl: :appl: :appl:

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1401497587|3683553 said:
A red Ferrari and a hot chick.

Oh wait, that might exceed $50.
I'd take that red Ferrari in a heartbeat!! Maybe even over a diamond. Blasphemy. I suppose it depends on the diamond. :naughty:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
My five year old son adores the Creator line from LEGO. They are packs of Lego with instructions to make three different things, like three animals, three trucks, or ...

http://www.lego.com/en-us/creator

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Legos! When my boys were 5, anything lego and you couldn't go wrong.

Plus they also loved those cheap little matchbox cars.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
missy|1401538963|3683740 said:
Does he have pets and if not would his parents be good with that? Because a great gift for a child that age (IMO) would be a rescue animal. Teaches responsibility and unconditional love and well who wouldn't love a furbaby to love and care for? :love:

So not just dogs and cats but guinea pigs, hamsters, gerbils are good too. Of course those wouldn't be rescue (hopefully LOL) but still great animals to love!

I loooovvvveee animals but I would be VERY unhappy if someone gave my child an animal as a gift. Animals require a lot of care and I don't think they make good gifts.

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
When my nephew was 5 he requested a Space Ship and bad guys.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
asscherisme|1401612201|3684256 said:

I loooovvvveee animals but I would be VERY unhappy if someone gave my child an animal as a gift. Animals require a lot of care and I don't think they make good gifts.

I don't agree. If you make sure his parents are OK (as I wrote above) with a gift of a hamster, gerbil, guinea pig etc then there is no issue. I grew up not only with a dog but with all of the above at different times and taking care of a small animal such as a gerbil is a great way to learn responsibility and love and not the same as taking care of a dog for example. Of course each child is different and parents know their children best. Not all children at that age are up to the task but we certainly were and I know many who are.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
missy|1401617849|3684268 said:

I don't agree. If you make sure his parents are OK (as I wrote above) with a gift of a hamster, gerbil, guinea pig etc then there is no issue. I grew up not only with a dog but with all of the above at different times and taking care of a small animal such as a gerbil is a great way to learn responsibility and love and not the same as taking care of a dog for example. Of course each child is different and parents know their children best. Not all children at that age are up to the task but we certainly were and I know many who are.

You make a very good point. Giving an animal but clearing it with the parents first is OK. I was referring to giving an animal without asking the parents first. If someone asked me first if they could give my child an animal and I was up to it that's different.

I got my 2 cats 4 years ago when my youngest child was 6 and my oldest was 13 and they have learned so much responsibility from them. But I don't think giving an animal cold is a good idea. Plus they are very expensive beyond just the initial purchase.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

I could not agree more. Animals/pets require a serious, family decision(in other words, the whole daily needs to talk and make choices about what sort of pets are right for them). I would never gift one (even with parental support). Had one of my children been gifted a pet at age 5, I would have been mortified. My kids are all in elementary school (well beyond the age of 5), and still not fully capable of being solely responsible for the safety & well being of another living creature (they help care for our pets, but I could not rely on them 100% to care for them without reminders, assistance, etc.).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results