shape
carat
color
clarity

Anniversary Gifts?

random_thought

Brilliant_Rock
The vow renewal post made me think- what do you usually get your DH/DW for your wedding anniversary? I'm approaching the 5th one this year and thought something more than a hallmark card might be nice :bigsmile:

For reference, here is the list of gifts by anniversary year (If I haven't murdered my husband by the time I am 85, I darn well better be getting a diamond, I earned it! :)) )-

Anniversary Traditional Modern
1st Paper Clocks
2nd Cotton China
3rd Leather Crystal/Glass
4th Fruit/Flowers Appliances
5th Wood Silverware
6th Candy/Iron Wood
7th Wool/Copper Desk Sets
8th Pottery/Bronze Linens/Lace
9th Willow/Pottery Leather
10th Tin/Aluminum Diamond Jewelry
11th Steel Fashion Jewelry
12th Silk/Linen Pearls
13th Lace Textile Furs
14th Ivory Gold Jewelry
15th Crystal Watches
20th China Platinum
25th Silver Silver
30th Pearl Diamond
35th Coral Jade
40th Ruby Ruby
45th Sapphire Sapphire
50th Gold Gold
60th Diamond Diamond

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The first year I got him a really pretty leather-bound journal. It's meant to be a family journal for us all to write our "random thoughts" (see what I did there?) in over the years. There are several nice notes/memories in it so far. I can't remember what I got him for our 2nd. I do remember that day though! We were about to take the kiddo to her grandparents so we could go out for a nice early anniversary dinner (like the old folks do--hit the cafeteria at 4:30, ya know). Suddenly my phone started going off with that weather alert system. There were tornado warnings and touchdowns happening so we all hid out in the bathroom for 45 minutes, and by the time the warning expired it was storming like crazy so we didn't end up going anywhere! It was most memorable because that was in later November. Yeesh.

So your upcoming anniversary is wood for the 5th year? I would maybe look for some interesting sculptural piece, or a humidor (does he ever smoke cigars?) or a cool rocking chair? You could turn the rocker into a great joke, I know you like to have a little fun with him. I'm thinking of when you put pictures of the Canadian mayor in every frame in your house. That was hilarious.

random_thought

Brilliant_Rock
monarch64|1401478773|3683358 said:
The first year I got him a really pretty leather-bound journal. It's meant to be a family journal for us all to write our "random thoughts" (see what I did there?) in over the years. There are several nice notes/memories in it so far. I can't remember what I got him for our 2nd. I do remember that day though! We were about to take the kiddo to her grandparents so we could go out for a nice early anniversary dinner (like the old folks do--hit the cafeteria at 4:30, ya know). Suddenly my phone started going off with that weather alert system. There were tornado warnings and touchdowns happening so we all hid out in the bathroom for 45 minutes, and by the time the warning expired it was storming like crazy so we didn't end up going anywhere! It was most memorable because that was in later November. Yeesh.

So your upcoming anniversary is wood for the 5th year? I would maybe look for some interesting sculptural piece, or a humidor (does he ever smoke cigars?) or a cool rocking chair? You could turn the rocker into a great joke, I know you like to have a little fun with him. I'm thinking of when you put pictures of the Canadian mayor in every frame in your house. That was hilarious.

Those are some good ideas! And pretty crazy about your second, yikes! That could totally happen here in colorado too, the weather is totally bipolar. He does like cigars but never gets around to smoking them lol

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock
random_thought|1401473442|3683270 said:
(If I haven't murdered my husband by the time I am 85, I darn well better be getting a diamond, I earned it! :)) )-
I remember our 5th and furniture was involved, and for 10 we exchanged watches, but with 25 coming up -- I have to say silver will not cut it!

There really should be an explicit jewelry option for each milestone! The list should be revised for the traditional, the contemporary, and the jewelry obsessed.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Our first anni my mom bought us a clock and for the 30th I got diamonds, but that is the only ones on the list that we managed to get right! :naughty:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We don't go by traditional anniversary gifts. Rather, we just buy each other what the other wants but wouldn't normally get for themselves without an occasion.

So for me that's jewelry (big surprise I know :cheeky: ) and for my dh that's whatever he is into at the time. He has many hobbies. We went full out with a fancy sewing machine plus accessories for him last year because he loves being creative and the major woodworking projects are on hold for now till our garage is built at the beach house. Course I am reaping the rewards of that gift because I get custom fit clothing these days. :appl: He has promised to sew me a dress from scratch so I am still looking forward to that!

Other anniversary gifts for my dh have been watches (he collects them), tools (such as fancy hand planes and miter saw) and custom made suits.

For gifts (while we can buy ourselves anything we want) I always like it to be something we want but would not necessarily buy for ourselves. But the main concept for us re gift giving is to make sure it is something the recipient will love. So while we love giving the receiver should be over the moon with what we give most importantly with no agenda from the giver if that makes sense.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results