carat
color
clarity

So I'm keeping my 6year old niece for two weeks

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
April20|1400507048|3675943 said:
I just know that I won't be nearly as much fun in a fun as other girls her age would be!
Hey, don't sell yourself short! By virtue of the very fact that you are not her age, your relationship with her is different -- but that is not a bad thing; think of the difference not as a drawback, but enriching because it doesn't mirror her other relationships.

Kids are actually discomfited internally by the feeling that they have free rein, that the adults are not in charge, so don't be shy about setting limits, even if she protests, "But Mommy lets me...", which may or may not be actually true; I remember trying to pull off that act with my own aunt and uncle at about her age :oops:

Wishing you wonderful memories-making with her!

p.s. for momhappy ("(I've never left my kids for more than just a couple of days, so two weeks would be absolutely out of the question for me"):
Different kids have different personalities/temperaments & family circumstances-dynamics aren't all the same. By age 3-1/2, my son had already spent a week with my parents without me (they lived 500+ miles away, reveled in their grandchildren; he'd spent long weekends with them before the week-long visit) & had longer visits with them when in elementary school (at age 7, he was flying solo to visit them, having already established a hefty number of "frequent flyer" miles before then in the company of us his parents or his uncle). He loved, e.g., going boating, fishing, water-skiing with my parents, gardening and cooking with my mom, & having the greater freedom to safely ride his bike than is possible living in NYC (plus, they had 2 dogs!)

My mother died pretty quickly of ovarian cancer when my son was just 12. I shall always be grateful that the two of them had the gift of those preceding special times together.

April20

Ideal_Rock
MollyMalone|1400514303|3676018 said:
Kids are actually discomfited internally by the feeling that they have free rein, that the adults are not in charge, so don't be shy about setting limits, even if she protests, "But Mommy lets me...", which may or may not be actually true; I remember trying to pull off that act with my own aunt and uncle at about her age :oops:

Oh no worries here. I am a big, huge limit setter. I am not at all a fan of free rein. When my sister (niece's mother) was 16, she came to spend the summer with me. I lived on the west coast at the time. Well, the rule was she was 16 and had to be home by 10 when she went out with friends. She couldn't call at 900 and say "we're going to the movies" because obviously she wouldn't be home by 10. Later than 10 had to be discussed in advance. Well, she didn't believe me. She called me at 845 and said they were going to a movie at 9. I replied, "Wow, must be a short movie if it's going to be over and you home by 10". She paused and then said she wouldn't be home by 10. I told her not to worry, I'd be there to get her in ten minutes. She replied there were already at the theater. So I told her to wait outside, I'd be right there. Yeah. She HATED me. But she appreciates it now! So that long winded story shortened is I don't plan on letting her daughter go crazy either. :)

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's a great story, April, LOVE it!! :bigsmile:

(Reminds me of when my son was in 8th grade & one of his classmate's birthday party was an overnight for everyone in the homeroom class. My son volunteered the fact that those parents were going to be of town; the only chaperones for the 25 kids expected would be the 17-year-old brother & his girlfriend... yeah, right. I said, "Sure, you can go, but I'll be picking you up at 10 PM, not 10 AM the next morning." My son, of course, claimed that "Everyone else's parents are letting them stay overnight." When I dryly replied, "You've probably noticed that I don't consider parenting to be a popularity contest", he rolled his eyes and muttered through clenched teeth, "Y'know, there are times when I really wish you didn't have such strong convictions")

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
MollyMalone|1400514303|3676018 said:
I just know that I won't be nearly as much fun in a fun as other girls her age would be!
Hey, don't sell yourself short! By virtue of the very fact that you are not her age, your relationship with her is different -- but that is not a bad thing; think of the difference not as a drawback, but enriching because it doesn't mirror her other relationships.

Wishing you wonderful memories-making with her!

p.s. for momhappy ("(I've never left my kids for more than just a couple of days, so two weeks would be absolutely out of the question for me"):
Different kids have different personalities/temperaments & family circumstances-dynamics aren't all the same. By age 3-1/2, my son had already spent a week with my parents without me (they lived 500+ miles away, reveled in their grandchildren; he'd spent long weekends with them before the week-long visit) & had longer visits with them when in elementary school (at age 7, he was flying solo to visit them, having already established a hefty number of "frequent flyer" miles before then in the company of us his parents or his uncle). He loved, e.g., going boating, fishing, water-skiing with my parents, gardening and cooking with my mom, & having the greater freedom to safely ride his bike than is possible living in NYC (plus, they had 2 dogs!)

My mother died pretty quickly of ovarian cancer when my son was just 12. I shall always be grateful that the two of them had the gift of those preceding special times together.

My comment about not leaving my kids for two weeks was not passing judgement on what other families choose to do. I agree that each child and each family is different and that's fine. I would have an extremely difficult time leaving my children for even a week (and two weeks would be completely out of the question). It's a comfort level and I'm just not comfortable with it - they are my kids and I wouldn't ask someone else to care for them for any extended periods of time. Anyway, there have been other threads on that same subject and I did not intend to take OPs thread off-topic. Again, my comment was simply a comment about my personal opinions/thoughts and other families should make choices as they see fit :))

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a six year old daughter. She loves to paint pottery (at those pottery places), go to the movies, go swimming, go shopping, getting her nails painted (by me), playing card/board games, BARBIES, drawing/crafts, bounce house places, and books. Have a great time! ;-)

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
You guys could make fun paper dresses like this mom and her little girl. The girl is younger than your niece but I still think a 6 year old would have fun with this.

I follow the mom on instagram and the dresses are so awesome.
Her instagram handle is @2sisters_angie and the hashtag to look for is #fashionbymayhem

http://www.boredpanda.com/mother-daughter-paper-dresses-diy-fashion-by-mayhem/

April20

Ideal_Rock
Clairitek|1400544177|3676391 said:
You guys could make fun paper dresses like this mom and her little girl. The girl is younger than your niece but I still think a 6 year old would have fun with this.

I follow the mom on instagram and the dresses are so awesome.
Her instagram handle is @2sisters_angie and the hashtag to look for is #fashionbymayhem

http://www.boredpanda.com/mother-daughter-paper-dresses-diy-fashion-by-mayhem/

Now that's cool! She might like something like this.

April20

Ideal_Rock
Tacori E-ring|1400538087|3676336 said:
I have a six year old daughter. She loves to paint pottery (at those pottery places), go to the movies, go swimming, go shopping, getting her nails painted (by me), playing card/board games, BARBIES, drawing/crafts, bounce house places, and books. Have a great time! ;-)

We have a few of those pottery painting places. I was wondering if that would be good.

I take her and my other niece (she's seven months younger) for pedicures when I visit. They love to sit in the chairs. I found a salon with kids chairs that have a DVD player attached so they don't get bored before my toes are dry!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
April20|1400547949|3676428 said:

We have a few of those pottery painting places. I was wondering if that would be good.

I take her and my other niece (she's seven months younger) for pedicures when I visit. They love to sit in the chairs. I found a salon with kids chairs that have a DVD player attached so they don't get bored before my toes are dry!

Sounds fun! She begs to paint pottery every weekend. She also LOVES museums.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
April20|1400547949|3676428 said:

WHERE WERE YOU WHEN I WAS 6!!!! Can I be an extended niece? heheh honestly I love the suggestions you got here and think you niece will have a fabulous time!

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Yes, the pottery places are a great idea - my kids love them (boys & girls).

April20

Ideal_Rock
Quick update.

We've had my niece since Monday. The slumber party is tonight. She's been asking me since yesterday how much longer. She's asked me every hour today how many more. She's been asking me every minute for the last ten minutes. They're supposed to start arriving at 600 and it's 554 now. Yeah, she's a little excited. She's also wild because I let her eat chocolate chip cookie dough while we were making them earlier.

We're going to decorate foam visors and paint t-shirts tomorrow. I've ordered pizza and there will be an ice cream sundae bar tomorrow. I told DH he had to stay. Being around seven little girls is only good for him. Ha ha ha!!!

She cooked chili with me last night. At dinner she said it was "terrific" and that "we should do it more often". Love this child. She cracks me up!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
What wonderful memories you are making! Sounds like you both are having an amazing time!

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Ice Cream Sundae Bar, can we say BEST AUNT EVER!

siv

Rough_Rock
What about Build a Bear? She'd have something to take home to remember her special time with you.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results