carat
color
clarity

How To Care For A Pearl Ring

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone! This is my first post in the Pearls forum :wavey:

We sadly lost my Great Aunt at Easter at the very beautiful age of 99. She had no children of her own, and my mother was an only child so they kind of adopted each other upon the death of my grandmother some 35 years ago. She has always been a constant ever since.

Today my mother caught my completely by surprise & gave me a ring, which Aunty had stipulated was to come to me as I had always whipped it from her finger since I was a small child to try it on. I have never owned a real, completely natural pearl before & I'm blind as to how to care for them?? This pearl is mounted in platinum, surrounded by an blazing halo of Old Mine Cuts. The shank of the ring is 18 carat yellow gold.

My main question is, can I use the ultrasonic? Aunty received this ring for her 25th birthday in 1940 & the paperwork has always been kept with the original box. I know she wore this ring almost daily for 74 glorious years without damage. She did lose a diamond in 1950 which was replaced immediately, but that has been the only incident. It has really stood the test of time!

Tomorrow I will be taking it to my jeweler to discuss resizing options, as it is considerably too big for me (it even slips off my thumb!) & mum would like me to be able to wear it to my 40th in June as pearl is my birthstone. But as soon as it has been altered (possibly a new shank??) i promise to take pictures for you. It is stunning :sun:

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
Alex T -- why wait until then? You can post pictures of the ring from different angles, even if not on your finger. It sounds amazing and we'd love to see it. Just sayin'.

Please do NOT put it in your ultrasonic! Just google and you'll see the warnings!

kylier

Shiny_Rock
I have a home ultrasonic and it says not to put pearls in, and its much gentler than the high grade ones jewelers have. Pearls are quite soft and require a bit of careful cleaning and handling, sounds beautiful and can't wait to see photos!
Also, I'm very sorry for your loss, but glad you have something beautiful to remember her by.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks ladies! My camera battery was flat so I've popped it on charge & hopefully it will get enough juice for me to photograph the ring before I head out this morning, then I'll get some pictures posted up for you later today (& for SMTB whilst I'm at it)

If it can't go in the ultrasonic, how is the rest of the ring kept completely clean? Obviously there is a way as the world didn't stop in the days before ultrasonic cleaners! Elbow juice? The head of the ring is an intricate basket with the diamonds in. I have given it a gentle scrub on the diamonds & basket only with the baby's toothbrush that I use for my diamonds as it really was filthy under there, but was careful not to touch the pearl. Are they THAT sensitive, or am I being over cautious?! Its been worn for 74 years & I can't see a single mark on it through my loupe, just the shank is very abraised.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Many use Dr. Bonners baby soap to clean pearls. Since we can't see your ring yet I have to assume it's half drilled and glued on a post on the ring. If you soak the ring, you may soften the glue the pearl is held with. If the ring is as old as you say, think of the types of glue available at that time? Two part epoxy? I don't think so. If the pearl is still beautiful, she must have worn it as a special occasion ring and possibly took it off when washing hands like many of us do. I would caution you to be very careful when cleaning it.
https://www.pearlparadise.com/t-pearlcare.aspx
http://www.target.com/p/dr-bronner-s-unscented-baby-mild-pure-castile-soap-32-oz/-/A-10770135

pkinnew

Brilliant_Rock
Alex T - How wonderful is that - to receive a cherised pearl ring! I'm sure everytime you look at it you'll remember the loving person that gave it to you! I think you did fine cleaning the ring gallery with a baby toothbrush but I agree with the others - don't soak the ring and be careful about what you use on it. Maybe your jeweler could help?

kylier

Shiny_Rock
I get the dilemma. After you post a pic I might have more suggestions on how to clean it. I'd have to see the setting, how delicate it is. I have a pearl ring myself and I take it off to wash my hands and wipe the band clean with a wet soft cloth, but its a very simple band. Maybe you could get a little tiny detailing brush that could scrub the setting but not the pearl?

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are some pictures, including one with the original receipt showing the date of purchse - October 12th 1940. I have been having horrible problems trying to upload pictures, so please hang on in there!

_18719.jpg

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Next....

dsc03049s.jpg

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Side view...

dsc03044s.jpg

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A beautiful treasure...

dsc03032s.jpg

kylier

Shiny_Rock
Oh my goodness! An amazing treasure indeed! You have to post this ring on pearl-guide.com too. There are pearl experts there that could help and would love to see this. If that's a natural pearl, and they would know more than me, then you'll want to know. By natural I mean not cultured but fully made in the wild without human intervention.
That is such a beautiful ring! I wish I could make more recommendations here but all I can really say is post it there too. You get different types of responses on each forum and both are great.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much for your help, Kylier :wavey:

My fabulous jeweler seemed to think it definitely WAS a natural pearl. He said it has lost some of the iridescence it would have had, but it is still beautiful & in amazing condition. He believes the original price (a measely £6) also points to it being completely natural, as back in 1940 that was a considerable sum for such a small pearl. The jeweler it was purchased from was very high end & is still there in the local town, in the same little shop it has always been in, now surrounded by modern buildings. So I am going to take it back with all its paperwork to see if they have any records, as there are a serial number & stock number on the receipt & guarantee papers.

Thanks for the help about the other site too - I shall have a look on there next!

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
AH that is gorgeous! and I second the baby soap.

kylier

Shiny_Rock
Such a cool story and the ring and diamonds are beautiful too! They would just die over this on pearl guide.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Kylier :wavey:

I posted this in Pearl Guide this morning but not much information or feedback yet :confused:

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
The receipt says it's a blister pearl which seems odd for the shape you can see. Blister pearls are pearls attached to the shell and cut out and you may hear them called mabe`, some are natural,some are not. Alex, the term natural pearl means wild with no help from man. These wild natural pearls are xrayed to prove they have no bead inside. Unless this has been done you may assume it could be cultured.

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
Coincidentally, my sister this second emailed me about a jewelry cleaner that is supposed to be safe on pearls.

I don't think I'd dare try it on my pearls, but here is the link if you want to investigate further:

http://www.touchofpurple.com/

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
NacreLover|1401395138|3682621 said:
The receipt says it's a blister pearl which seems odd for the shape you can see. Blister pearls are pearls attached to the shell and cut out and you may hear them called mabe`, some are natural,some are not. Alex, the term natural pearl means wild with no help from man. These wild natural pearls are xrayed to prove they have no bead inside. Unless this has been done you may assume it could be cultured.

It doesn't say 'blister' it says 'cluster'
It's clearer on the typed up guarantee from the jeweler from when it was bought :))

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry, looks like a b to me. Either way, unless it's been xrayed it may be cultured. Some on pearl guide collect wild natural pearls. Perhaps one of them will chime in.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results