shape
carat
color
clarity

Any practical use for antique pocket watch?

travist223

Shiny_Rock
My grandfather left me an Elgin pocket watch (that belonged to his father also). It doesn't work atm, and it's pretty plain and scratched up (around 100 years old)' but it's special to me. I'd like to do something useful with it once it's in working order. Any ideas?

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
A pocket watch was useful in your grandfather's day as a keeper of time much like we use our watches and cell phones today for that purpose. You could get an estimate to overhaul the watch (clean, oil, and regulate) the movement and find out if any parts are needed. A watchmaker who has pocket watch experience is your best bet. But if you don't intend to use it, a cleaning may not be worth it. Like an automobile engine, a watch must be wound and used so the oil and moving parts do not become stagnant. I have inexpensive jewelry from my uncle that I cherish and sometimes wear, just because I'm sentimental and like the idea of having it. So hang on to your pocket watch and feel good knowing that it was once enjoyed by your grandfather. Condition of the item becomes secondary. On a different note, my father purchased a hand assembled picture of an antique car that was made using old pocket watch parts. It was purchased in London in the 1970's and is very cool. It hangs on my office wall.

jbkhere

Brilliant_Rock
I love that look BearFluff! I've never seen a pocket watch worn that way but I like it! Definitely going to try and convince the guys in my life to try it!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results