shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on Setting & Buying from Etsy Store BeautifulPetra

clorox_white

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone, I posted a couple of weeks ago and got some fantastic advice on diamonds. I'm now hoping for some similarly great feedback when it comes to purchasing the setting.

After some pretty exhaustive online and in-person searches, my "future-spouse-to-be" has narrowed down her list of preferred settings. For simplicity, I'm posting only her top preference, a setting that is made by hand and sold through Etsy through the "Beautiful Petra" store:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/154310...ctive_13&ga_search_query=blooming+work+of+art

I know it's a long shot, but has anyone had any experiences with this seller in particular, or Etsy in general? The buyer protections don't appear to be particularly strong, so I'm counting primarily on the seller's >500 5-star ratings.

Any thoughts on this particular design? The description calls for an "up to" 1 ct center stone, but if I order this I would ask them to make it able to accommodate a larger stone, likely something in the ~1.5ct range, which I'm hoping would not affect the aesthetic proportions of the ring.

I'm also inserting a photo below (more photos at the site, above). Thanks in advance for any feedback for this jewelry / diamond novice!

il_570xn_64.jpg

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re: Opinions on Setting & Buying from Etsy Store BeautifulPe

Etsy transactions usually go through PayPal, which does have decent protection. If you use a credit card linked to your paypal account then you'll also have your credit card protection in place.

I've never purchased from this vendor,what's the return policy like?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I've purchased through Etsy but not this vendor.

Etsy is just a collection of sellers, much like a flea market. You have to assess the individual vendor and if you find them trustworthy. I have heard there are not like eBay in that the sellers protection, as you said, is not very strong. K

If you're uncomfortable buying from her you can mimmic the design with other vendors.

OECsareforLovers

Shiny_Rock

clorox_white|1401305686|3681890 said:
Any thoughts on this particular design? The description calls for an "up to" 1 ct center stone, but if I order this I would ask them to make it able to accommodate a larger stone, likely something in the ~1.5ct range, which I'm hoping would not affect the aesthetic proportions of the ring.

If I were you, before placing an order I would contact the seller and ask them if they could create a setting for a 1.5ct stone. Also you should ask them if there is a way you could see a CAD or resin mold before the actual setting is made (just to make sure you like all the design changes necessary for a larger stone).

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Just a bit of advice because I wasn't sure of your intent, but never order a setting before the diamond is purchased. They will make the setting to fit your diamond. You will generally send the diamond to them to set. And in that regard, I would ONLY use known ringmakers that we know are trustworthy and do quality work through the experience of people here.

mandasand

Brilliant_Rock

Greenlake Jewelers makes a very similar ring - and they have a good reputation. It can be customized as well. They have a couple versions, here's one.
http://www.greenlakejewelry.com/gallery/gallery_detail.aspx?ImgID=85043

Beautiful Petra does seem like a good Etsy shop, though. Convo and see what they can do for you. Get a quote from Greenlake too.

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock

I had contacted her two tears ago, I didn't end up ordering from her because I could tell from her responses that we weren't on the same page. Have you contacted her?

clorox_white

Rough_Rock

Thanks for all the feedback, folks. Let me respond to some of the questions and comments:

@Hudson_Hawk: Return policy is five days "no questions asked." It's not a lot of time, but it should be just enough time to examine the ring, ensure it was well made, and confirm that a local jeweler is going to be able to mount the diamond.
@Niel: I need to get this done by mid-June, so may not have time to find a reputable vendor and get something custom done.
@OECsareforLovers: Great suggestion on the CAD file / mold. I have contacted the seller and she has implied she's willing to make a setting that will accommodate a larger diamond. I'm waiting for confirmation and answers to a few remaining questions.
diamondseeker2006: I have seen this advice before. Unfortunately, this is not how this online store appears to work. They make the setting to a certain specification (able to fit a particular diameter diamond), ship it to me, and then I have a local jeweler set the diamond. I presume it has to work reasonably well given the seller's high ratings?
@mandasand: Thanks for the suggestion - I will take a look at them, but my initial impression is I don't like their floral setting nearly as much! :( Also, my lady is very particular, and this is the one she likes the best.
@artdecolover71: I first reached out on Memorial Day, and have had some back-and-forth trying to get my questions answered. Would you mind sharing why you weren't on the same page?

At this point I'm waiting on clarification on the order process, whether the seller needs my exact center stone dimensions prior to making the ring, and the type of alloy is used in their white gold. [Quick aside: how common are nickel allergies? The seller hasn't confirmed, but I suspect they use a nickel alloy in their white gold.]

If I get positive answers, I'll ask about the CAD file / mold, take any additional feedback I receive here into account, and then make a decision on ordering.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

in case this vendor doesn't pan out this is a non custom ring that you should be able to get around your timeline. and seems a bit more practical for everyday wear. Im not sure that ring would be comfortable with a 1.5 ct and sitting so high.

http://www.simongjewelry.com/product/Passion_Collection_Style_TR550/17040/EN

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I've had 3 negative jewelry experiences on Etsy. Two rings I ordered had flaws where they were sized, and another ring from another seller was very poorly made, junk really. The seller had 28 glowing reviews and the photos on his website were beautiful, but what I received was unacceptable.
Esty stepped up immediately to help me, but there is still no resolution and although I returned the ring I have not gotten my money back yet.
I'm sure there are many good sellers on Etsy, I just happened to pick the wrong ones!

By the way, Simon G makes a very similar setting and is carried by at least one of our PS vendors.

edit : :wavey: Neil just saw your post.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium

OK, I'll set aside my concerns re the potential for BeautifulPetra & your local jeweler pointing their fingers at each other, should the setting end up not being able to accommodate your stone, etc. But regardless of the potential pitfalls in this kind of arrangement, the design itself seems like it could be problematic: I fear that the ring is going to be top-heavy & the center stone will easily swivel around towards the back.

Does anyone else share my concern, or do you think I'm over-thinking this?

charks

Rough_Rock

I wanted to buy a beautiful garland ring from a pricescope member.

She had it made by a reputable etsy seller.

As she hadn't worn it for a while, fingers had got too big for ring, she took it into her jeweller to get it cleaned etc before sending it to me.

She was devastated to find out that the ring was so poorly made the stones could fall out anytime.

mandasand

Brilliant_Rock

I would prefer to use a well-known custom jewelery designer than someone selling their bobbles on etsy. Greenlake will make any modifications you want to the setting. They are a custom shop. You can show them the pic of the one your gf likes. They will also set your diamond. I don't know, just seems like a bigger risk to go with the Etsy seller.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

mandasand|1401370639|3682382 said:
I would prefer to use a well-known custom jewelery designer than someone selling their bobbles on etsy. Greenlake will make any modifications you want to the setting. They are a custom shop. You can show them the pic of the one your gf likes. They will also set your diamond. I don't know, just seems like a bigger risk to go with the Etsy seller.

Some Etsy designers are good designers too. They have to start somewhere. But as for the quality of that particular designer and the fact you need this done in a matter of weeks, I'd go with the Simon g

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

By making it fit your stone (1.5 ct instead of a 1 ct RB), is this ring now considered custom or do you still get the 5 day no questions asked FULL refund policy? I have not dealt with this Etsy vendor but there are both good and poorly made rings by vendors on Etsy. Some are so well made that they can withstand 24/7 wear and some are so horrible that the melees are likely to fall out very soon. Since this stone is melee intense, the workmanship has to be top-notch or you will have stones falling out everyday to every week.

If time is pressing, I would still get the stone first, set it in a simple 4 prong or 6 prong solitaire and propose with that. Once that is done, then you will have time on your side for a custom setting that you also know for sure she'll love and is well made to stand up to everyday wear. The design selected looks like it could be problematic. It sits very high and with the petals and top heaviness, I can foresee it getting caught in doors and clothing, and spinning.

You are greatly limiting your choices by going with a setting first then stone. It is difficult enough to find a well cut stone that meets all your Cs and budget within the week or so, but it is possible. Just stressful. Secondly, when you have 3 different people involved (diamond vendor, setting vendor and the setter), should something happen, everyone will point fingers at one another and the only person left holding the bag will be you. I always prefer a 1 stop shop where I get the diamond, setting and have it set by the diamond vendor, who then takes full responsibility for any damage to both the stone and setting.

Has your GF worn any white gold rings or jewellery? She should know whether she is allergic to nickel or not.

clorox_white

Rough_Rock

Chrono|1401373875|3682410 said:
By making it fit your stone (1.5 ct instead of a 1 ct RB), is this ring now considered custom or do you still get the 5 day no questions asked FULL refund policy? I have not dealt with this Etsy vendor but there are both good and poorly made rings by vendors on Etsy. Some are so well made that they can withstand 24/7 wear and some are so horrible that the melees are likely to fall out very soon. Since this stone is melee intense, the workmanship has to be top-notch or you will have stones falling out everyday to every week.

If time is pressing, I would still get the stone first, set it in a simple 4 prong or 6 prong solitaire and propose with that. Once that is done, then you will have time on your side for a custom setting that you also know for sure she'll love and is well made to stand up to everyday wear. The design selected looks like it could be problematic. It sits very high and with the petals and top heaviness, I can foresee it getting caught in doors and clothing, and spinning.

You are greatly limiting your choices by going with a setting first then stone. It is difficult enough to find a well cut stone that meets all your Cs and budget within the week or so, but it is possible. Just stressful. Secondly, when you have 3 different people involved (diamond vendor, setting vendor and the setter), should something happen, everyone will point fingers at one another and the only person left holding the bag will be you. I always prefer a 1 stop shop where I get the diamond, setting and have it set by the diamond vendor, who then takes full responsibility for any damage to both the stone and setting.

Has your GF worn any white gold rings or jewellery? She should know whether she is allergic to nickel or not.

You bring up some very good points. I especially like your idea of getting a simple solitaire for the proposal and then buying some time for the "real" setting. My frugal nature hates the idea of a "throwaway" setting but I imagine it'll probably be a pittance in the grand scheme of things.

By the way, the reason I was looking for the setting first is I wanted to maximize my budget on the diamond. Once I knew how much the setting would cost, I could spend the rest of my budget on the diamond. I might need to rethink this.

I do have a question about "one stop shopping" with an online vendor. How does that typically work? Everything I have read tells me I have to see the diamond before it's mounted. Would I have the diamond shipped to me for evaluation (and possibly an appraisal at a local jeweler), then shipped back for it to be mounted, then the finished ring shipped to me (where I get it re-appraised / confirmed that it's been mounted with the same diamond as before)?

Although I like the idea of one-stop-shopping in general, it seems to come with its own set of complications when dealing with online vendors. Am I missing something or is this generally the process? And does the back-and-forth shipping with insurance eat into the price savings over going with a local jeweler for everything?

Oh and regarding the possible allergy to nickel - I confirmed that she has no white gold jewelry, unfortunately. It's all silver (or something even cheaper for the costume jewelry).

FlowerRing

Rough_Rock

My engagement ring is from this vendor and I would NOT recommend them. If you have even the slightest allergy to metal this ring will be a total waste of your money. My finger became inflamed with bumps. Buyers Beware!!!

Andelain

Ideal_Rock

BeautifulPetra won't set outside stones. I just contacted them in the last couple months and was told that.

Aaryn2828

Rough_Rock

I know this is a long time after this thread started, but I used it when I was deciding to buy from beautiful Petra and I wanted to update it based on my experience. I got a really beautiful ring that was custom, based on a ring I saw on her website. we worked on it together, she would send me the cad drawings of it, she made it and sent it to me. She was having her third baby and was three weeks overdue and still communicating with me when I decided the ring they sent me was not actually the one I wanted. I should have been able to tell from the cad drawing but I am not a jewelry designer I am a chef. She didn't ask any questions and she already told me if for any reason I wanted to return it I could. I used a pink sapphire and black diamonds and she picked the best pink sapphire. Love the pink sapphire she picked but I wanted some of the stones to be bigger. And I wanted them to be lined up differently with the diamonds on the side. When she figured out what I wanted she had me draw it out so the guys could see it and put it in the cad drawing this time it was easier for me to figure out what to look at and the second ring she sent me was absolutely perfect. If she wouldn't have even been able to return the first ring I would have kept it because it was the closest ring that I could get to what I wanted. When I sent it back and talked to her some more I got exactly what I wanted. She was very helpful and responded quickly, if I was that far overdue I would not be able to think straight let alone email someone who was returning something, no matter the reason. She was very professional fast and the work is beautiful. She recommended I insure it with Jewelers Mutual, which I have done. It was only $29 for your policy and now I know if I need any preventative work done or if anything does happen I'm covered and I can get the original ring again. I am currently contacting her to make my wedding band...

BeautifulPetraLLC

Rough_Rock
Trade

Thank you so much for posting this :) It really was nice to work with you to make your ring.
xoxo,
~Petra

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results