carat
color
clarity

I'm a Chromie!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Am I the only Chromie out there?

I'm absolutely entranced by the story of California Chrome, the California-bred horse that won this year's Kentucky Derby and Preakness races. He's sort of a local since one of the two couples that own him lives in Northern California and the other just over the border in Northern Nevada. He's also kind of an "everyman horse" - his owners bought his mother and put her to stud at bargain basement prices, and kept their day jobs to pay for the costs of stabling and training the horse.

Fingers crossed for a Triple Crown winner this year!

The first Sacramento Bee article tells all California Chrome's remarkable origins, while the second tells about his growing legions of fans:
http://www.sacbee.com/2014/04/20/6337965/derby-horse-takes-his-yuba-city.html
http://www.sacbee.com/2014/05/24/6429160/chromies-swoon-for-triple-crown.html

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
DEFINITELY me too, VRB! I've been sending up prayers for him to win the Triple. Not likely, but hope springs...& all that. What a fabulous story & I almost bawled too, with his owner, when he won the Preakness.

Did you read what they did after the Derby? There is a statue at Churchill Downs of Barbaro, who died, if you remember that tragic time. Cal. Chrome's owners took his blanket of roses & put it over the Barbaro statue. Awww, now I'm gonna cry some more. ;(

--- Laurie

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JewelFreak|1400976878|3679466 said:
DEFINITELY me too, VRB! I've been sending up prayers for him to win the Triple. Not likely, but hope springs...& all that. What a fabulous story & I almost bawled too, with his owner, when he won the Preakness.

Did you read what they did after the Derby? There is a statue at Churchill Downs of Barbaro, who died, if you remember that tragic time. Cal. Chrome's owners took his blanket of roses & put it over the Barbaro statue. Awww, now I'm gonna cry some more. ;(

--- Laurie

I didn't know that - I'll join you! ;(

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
another Chromie reporting in.....I absolutely adore this horse and the owners as well.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

Great Story. Love the owners and trainer. Hope he wins the Belmont stakes. We will be watching in our house. And probably betting too.

Annette

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results