shape
carat
color
clarity

Swollen Feet- Result of pregnancy- Advice, por favor?

Nyc2chigal

Shiny_Rock
Hi,
I am 7 months along, and for the past week or so my feet have been gradually getting swollen..
Today is the worst!
And on of my feet is slightly more swollen than the other!

Call me Freakshow NYC from now on, LOL!!

Can anyone tell me what they did to reduce the swelling, other than keeping feet up?

Thank you!!! :wavey:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nyc2chigal|1400864810|3678856 said:
Hi,
I am 7 months along, and for the past week or so my feet have been gradually getting swollen..
Today is the worst!
And on of my feet is slightly more swollen than the other!

Call me Freakshow NYC from now on, LOL!!

Can anyone tell me what they did to reduce the swelling, other than keeping feet up?

Thank you!!! :wavey:

Giving birth...sorry no help huh? Well, it will shrink after you get the little alien out of you... ;))

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Drink a ton of water. You've probably heard this already, but it's true. I had severe swelling with both of my kids, and when I came in swollen and complaining, my doc said "drink more water". I told him I was drinking a gallon plus a day and he said "well, you need more". I had pre-e with both kids too, so I don't know how much the extra water helped me or didn't, but it didn't hurt.

I think to a certain extent there's really not much you can do, but the water "supposedly" helps. When you don't have enough water, your body holds onto it, making you swell.

Also, I found that going swimming always gave me temporary relief. Just getting in the pool and staying in for a bit (maybe 30-45 mins?) always made my swelling go down for a little while. I don't know why, but it really did work. I don't mean that you need to do any strenuous swimming, I would just get in and do light exercising.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sorry this is happening to you. :(sad Ugh, I (unfondly) remember those days! They make these awful compression socks you can wear that will probably help. Sometimes it helped me to just get off my feet and put them up (probably little chance of that for you, especially if its not your first baby). As others said, drink water and cut down on salt, and basically tell your baby to grow fast and come on out!

Nyc2chigal

Shiny_Rock
LLJsmom, you got my hopes up! LOL A couple more months until I see my bundle of joy, and I stop looking like Shrek.
Yay!

Katharath, I really do need more water.. Don't know where I'm going to fit it all!!

minousbijoux, I will try both (swimming and compression socks).
Must be the baby brain, but I didn't think of that!

Thanks!!!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yup, I remember the days/weeks/months of swollen ankles and feet. I found the only thing that helped was putting my feet up as soon as I got home from work and in months 7 and 8, they would go down considerably. In month 9, weeks 36-38.5 before I delivered, there was no relief until a few days post-delivery. It sucks. My mother's doctor told her to eat watermelon (diuretic) and drink a lot of fluids. She went through 2 pregnancies in Ft. Lauderdale and gave birth in May and June...can you imagine??? :shock:

random_thought

Brilliant_Rock
1 (or 2?) word(s?)
Flip-flops.

I know it's not ideal but I wore flip-flops from february-may when I was in my last trimester lol

Meezermom

Shiny_Rock
Can't make any other suggestions other than keeping your feet up - but boy did your post bring back memories (from 31 years ago[!]). My swollen feet hit at exactly 7 months too.

I remember when I was sitting on the couch with my feet raised, and finishing up a plate of potato pancakes my mom had made me (hers were just the best), when the phone rang (it was my mom asking how I liked the pancakes) - it took me a while to get up to get to the phone, but I finally made it. Unfortunately, as I waddled back, I saw that my little Miniature Schnauzer, Rascal, was smacking his lips. Apparently he enjoyed my mother's potato pancakes too. His name was so appropriate. :)

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Feet up as much as possible! I had to wear flip
Flops from about march until August. We live in a hot area and I couldn't even get most of my shoes on my feet. Thank goodness my company is very casual.

eh613c

Shiny_Rock
Premium
In addition to drinking more water and putting your feet up, try sleeping on your left side. If you sleep on your back, make sure your feet are elevated. Or try compression socks. Hope this helps.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Even tho' it's been years since I was last pregnant, I certainly sympathize! I remember the shoe salesman at Nordstrom -- who had trotted out umpteen pairs of shoes to try on my prego feet -- saying with a kind smile and wink, "Hmmm, why do you think of the idea of me just strapping some of these shoe boxes on your feet?"

Have you tried FitFlops? A number of their styles are less casual than the usual flip-flops, e.g., the Electra (cut wider than the newer Rokkit model)

I like FitFlops because of their arch support & they don't make my back ache or my toes cramp as happens when I wear ordinary flip-flops for hours. The Hooper is another one of their older styles that might work well for you; it has a wider footbed than some other FitFlops, and you can adjust the width across the top of your foot via the velcro tab that's hidden under the buckle:

fitflop_0.jpg

fitflop_1.jpg

Saoirse2

Shiny_Rock
I'm sorry you're going through this....here's a home remedy:
Wrap refrigerated cabbage leaves around your feet [or legs] to make a compress. Leave until they become wet, repeat with fresh leaves until you see improvement. Watch your salt intake, drink lots and sleep on your left side. If only one foot/ calf turns red, larger or tender call your doctor ASAP :wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results