shape
carat
color
clarity

People who are bullied need to "grow a pair"

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
http://www.recorderonline.com/news/council-gets-an-earful-on-bullying/article_08d7f3f0-e1e2-11e3-9fb2-0017a43b2370.html

This is happening in my hometown and I'm absolutely livid about it:

"The fury began two weeks ago when Council member Virginia Gurrola sought to have placed on the council agenda a suggestion by students from the Burton School District that the city create Safe Zones, a place where those being bullied can go for protection if school is out and there is no other recourse.

Mayor Hamilton said during that debate: “I’m against bullying, but I’m getting damn tired of it being used as a mantra for everything ...when all most people have to do is grow a pair and stick up for them damn selves.”

The worst part is that the majority of my hometown agrees with the mayor!

What's your opinion on bullying? Should people who are being bullied just "grow a pair?" Is that the solution?

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sure sounds like victim-blaming, and that expression "grow a pair" is particularly sexist and vile. He seems like a nasty piece of work, that guy.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Honestly, my first thought is, if the people being bullied would turn around and punch the bully-ers in the face and knock their fecking teeth down their damned throats maybe they'd knock it the hell off. Kick 'em in the junk so hard they can't talk for a week. I have been bullied and teased and made fun of and mocked and everything else, and I did the "quack quack water off a duck's back" which was my parent's answer to the anxiety and depression and the wrist slitting incident and the feelings of worthlessness and lessness and nothingness and self loathing.

But at some point you realize sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me is one of the biggest lies you could ever expect someone to believe. And it wasn't until I started fighting back and standing up for myself that it got better. A person can only take so much before they explode. And sometimes those people explode in bad ways. ESPECIALLY when they feel like there is no recourse for them. If they have no place to go, no one to talk to, what do they do?

You don't reason w/a bully. I don't care what anyone says. NO conflict has ever been solved throughout the course of history by someone having a lightbulb go off and raise their index finger and say "Oh you know what, you're RIGHT! Jeez, I've been so mean, I'm sorry. Suddenly now just this very second, your words resonated with me and I see the error of my ways. I shall go forth and do good works faithfully" That's a bunch of bullshit.

You make a safe haven for people getting bullied, and you investigate the claims and you take care of it. Real life is not preschool where I spend my days going "JD honey, stop crying, use your words. Tell Miss Missi what happened. Words honey, crying hurts my ears. Oh, Jason pushed you? Ok, tell him you don't like that. Jason, honey, did you push JD? Why did you do that? Do we push friends? No, we don't. It hurts friends and makes them sad when we push them. We play nice with friends"

This guy has apparently never been bullied and obviously has no idea what he's talking about. It's not about "growing a pair", that puts the onus on the person being bullied, like you just need to suck it up and take it like a stud-to me that just sounds like it's ok to bully someone and they just need to take it. Idiot. And idiot townsfolk.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
It is blame the victim and the term is offensive.

That said... people do need to learn the skills to cope with adversity. When these kids go to college and then graduate to get jobs what are they going to do without their 'safe zones'?

Also people have to realize that 'disagree' doesn't mean bully. And just because someone doesn't like you it doesn't mean they are a bully. Bullying is a very specific behavior. And many people confusing all sorts of things that ARE NOT bullying with it.

I see adults claiming they are being 'bullied' when really, the only thing that is happening is a disagreement of opinion.

So while I DO believe bullying is real and there needs to be awareness about it and an attitude of no tolerance. I also believe the definition of what amounts to bullying has been expanded too far. And I also believe that it is HEALTHY to learn to cope with people who are disagreeable instead of just running away to an artificial safety zone.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
+1, Gypsy. There is real bullying -- you can see video in a zillion places on the web -- but much of the "bullying" people complain about is either strong disagreement, or in the case of kids, regular bothering each other that children have always done. There's a line to walk, teaching your kids to deal with hard-to-get-along-with people vs. genuine bullying. We do need to learn to handle hurt feelings, starting young, because they're a part of life. Too much protection & you end up with babies like those at Dartmouth who now demand labels on their books for "trigger" words that might make them cry, and a whole bunch of other barmy stuff.

As kids a neighbor boy bullied my older brother terribly, beat him up, "framed" him for bad behavior this kid did himself, etc. His parents didn't believe mine when they talked to them about it & it went on for a few years. One day my brother had enough & socked the kid in the face at the bus stop. He not only treated my bro with respect after that, they became sort-of friends. You can't always solve problems that way but we learn when to strike back & when not to, only through experience.

--- Laurie

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
When bullying is actually bullying, then no, I don't agree that the answer lies in "growing a pair". However, some times people are too quick to cry to bullying and it's used as an excuse. To a certain extent, all kids are picked on at some time in their lives - it's a normal part of growing up. Being picked on can even serve to make you stronger. I know grown adults that still hold on to stuff that happened in school. For many of us, we get over it (which doesn't necessarily mean that we forget) and we move on with life. For others, it becomes a chip on their shoulder and they never let it go. With my kids, I have tried to impress upon them that words are just words and they can choose to let those sorts of things go. I'm trying my best to teach them some coping mechanisms so that they can work through that stuff. I guess, in a sense, I'm teaching them to grow a pair (for lack of a better term), but I'm also sensitive to the fact that getting picked on can be hurtful and we try to acknowledge that, process it and move forward.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
His delivery was vile and sexist. I suppose he's never encountered a child with Autism or a communication disorder? Telling a child essentially "Stop being such a damn wuss" is disgusting.

Bullying is a huge problem and has gotten worse with advancements in social media online. If it were up to me we'd stop wasting our time with ineffective programs that do nothing to address the issue and adopt a full on zero tolerance campaign. One strike rule. You get caught harrassing a fellow classmate online or on school property, you can find yourself another school. That would get parents more involved immediately as well in terms of monitoring online adtivity and checking in with the school and other parents.

It will never happen of course, but I can dream.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are so many problems with the 'grow a pair' philosophy that it is hard to know where to begin. Violence is usually not the answer in any situation, but even in cases that it might end the bullying, the kid that retaliates would be in trouble as well. I really have a problem with this when it comes to kids in school. A kid really can't even stand up for himself anymore at all. And something about that is just not right. It seems that this problem has caused public school administrators to lose all common sense.

We dealt with this a couple times when my boys were growing up. Once, in a school yard a kid jumped on my oldest sons back, and started hitting him. My son bent over at the waist and the kid fell over his head onto the ground. He wasn't hurt. My son and the other kid were both suspended, even though my son wasn't even having a conversation with kid and it was totally un-provoked. When #2 son was in high- school three boys ambushed him from behind, pulling his sweatshirt over his head and beating the crap out of him. He took it, because he knew he would get in trouble with the school if he hit back. That afternoon I had all of his friends at my home talking about how they were going to go after those kids. I had a hard time talking these man/boys out of it. These were not kids that 'needed to grow a pair', but nonetheless experienced bullying. The attitude of this guy is so far off the track. Bullying happens all across the social lines, it is not just the timid or marginalized kids who have experienced it.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To a point, I agree with him. Turn around and deck the bully. It won't happen again. Our kids are getting too soft.

Ok, flame away!

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As the parent of a child that was tormented in middle school I'm sickened by his comments. Thankfully HS has been so much better... But the scars remain. I see them and hear them in her voice. :(sad

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Re: People who are bullied need to "grow a pair"

luv2sparkle said:
There are so many problems with the 'grow a pair' philosophy that it is hard to know where to begin. Violence is usually not the answer in any situation, but even in cases that it might end the bullying, the kid that retaliates would be in trouble as well. I really have a problem with this when it comes to kids in school. A kid really can't even stand up for himself anymore at all. And something about that is just not right. It seems that this problem has caused public school administrators to lose all common sense.

We dealt with this a couple times when my boys were growing up. Once, in a school yard a kid jumped on my oldest sons back, and started hitting him. My son bent over at the waist and the kid fell over his head onto the ground. He wasn't hurt. My son and the other kid were both suspended, even though my son wasn't even having a conversation with kid and it was totally un-provoked. When #2 son was in high- school three boys ambushed him from behind, pulling his sweatshirt over his head and beating the crap out of him. He took it, because he knew he would get in trouble with the school if he hit back. That afternoon I had all of his friends at my home talking about how they were going to go after those kids. I had a hard time talking these man/boys out of it. These were not kids that 'needed to grow a pair', but nonetheless experienced bullying. The attitude of this guy is so far off the track. Bullying happens all across the social lines, it is not just the timid or marginalized kids who have experienced it.

Yep, this. Zero tolerance policies are worse than a joke - they protect the two-faced little monsters who enjoy manipulation and conflict, and discourage the innocent kids from fighting back.

FWIW, I was one of the bullied kids who "grew a pair." I got in a hell of a lot of fights between 9 and 19. I don't think it served me particularly well, in the long run. Do I know how to protect myself physically? Sure! Does that help me as an adult in professional conflicts? Dear god, no - that's an entirely different skill set, and one that I developed under considerably more civil circumstances.

I think that being bullied - and here I echo Gypsy's distinction, because there is a great difference between disagreement, name-calling and physical risk, all of which require their own types of responses - can make people brittle, when they know they're completely unsupported by the system. After all, if you have nothing to lose by fighting back (possibly disproportionately), as opposed to risking being seriously hurt while waiting for your administrator/authority figure pulls his or her head out ....

In some ways, I see it as the corollary to the main difference in how men and women fight (in my experience, anyway). As often as not, men will lose it, fight, and deal with the consequences - call it the outcome of combining testosterone with a certainty that the system will, to some degree, have their back. Most ladies I've spoken to? Have a kind of low-grade commentary running that cripples physical efficacy, like, "well if I hit back I might break the orbital bone and I'm not sure if I'm angry/at risk enough to DO that because if it doesn't heal I'm open to litigation and besides which I think it would be awful to be responsible for something like that because ..." etc, etc, etc., so when they *do* snap, it can be somewhat more severe.

As a sanctioned means of socialization ... that's messed up, yo. My theory has always been that it's the former bullies grown into positions of authority who reproduce the system with asinine statements about "growing a pair" ....

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re: People who are bullied need to

Circe|1400816893|3678588 said:
Yep, this. Zero tolerance policies are worse than a joke - they protect the two-faced little monsters who enjoy manipulation and conflict, and discourage the innocent kids from fighting back.

I agree with this. There are a LOT of kids who are fantastic at manipulation. And they d benefit from these policies. And most of the time they are the darlings of the teachers and the 'good' kids at home. No one believes the innocent children who are not good at manipulating, and who fight back out of honest emotion and frustration.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bullying can be one underdog against a mob of kids who torture the victim in many small ways on a daily basis. Nothing physical, just psychological abuse, often to the point that the kid never recovers during his/her lifetime and sometimes commits suicide. Bullying is a form of social shunning which causes isolation, depression and other illnesses.

It's easy to say "Hit back", but in reality there is no way for a child to fight, and even with adult intervention the damage is done. Having to have authorities step in may stop the bullying, but only moving the child to a different environment will allow the child to work on recovery.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
packrat|1400797415|3678403 said:
Honestly, my first thought is, if the people being bullied would turn around and punch the bully-ers in the face and knock their fecking teeth down their damned throats maybe they'd knock it the hell off. Kick 'em in the junk so hard they can't talk for a week. I have been bullied and teased and made fun of and mocked and everything else, and I did the "quack quack water off a duck's back" which was my parent's answer to the anxiety and depression and the wrist slitting incident and the feelings of worthlessness and lessness and nothingness and self loathing.

But at some point you realize sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me is one of the biggest lies you could ever expect someone to believe. And it wasn't until I started fighting back and standing up for myself that it got better. A person can only take so much before they explode. And sometimes those people explode in bad ways. ESPECIALLY when they feel like there is no recourse for them. If they have no place to go, no one to talk to, what do they do?

You don't reason w/a bully. I don't care what anyone says. NO conflict has ever been solved throughout the course of history by someone having a lightbulb go off and raise their index finger and say "Oh you know what, you're RIGHT! Jeez, I've been so mean, I'm sorry. Suddenly now just this very second, your words resonated with me and I see the error of my ways. I shall go forth and do good works faithfully" That's a bunch of bullshit.

You make a safe haven for people getting bullied, and you investigate the claims and you take care of it. Real life is not preschool where I spend my days going "JD honey, stop crying, use your words. Tell Miss Missi what happened. Words honey, crying hurts my ears. Oh, Jason pushed you? Ok, tell him you don't like that. Jason, honey, did you push JD? Why did you do that? Do we push friends? No, we don't. It hurts friends and makes them sad when we push them. We play nice with friends"

This guy has apparently never been bullied and obviously has no idea what he's talking about. It's not about "growing a pair", that puts the onus on the person being bullied, like you just need to suck it up and take it like a stud-to me that just sounds like it's ok to bully someone and they just need to take it. Idiot. And idiot townsfolk.

But of course if your child did this they'd be expelled in a heartbeat and then labeled a bully by the other person's parents :angryfire:

I feel like it's a no-win situation. I'm doing my best to raise a son to be kind to everyone, but still stand up for himself. It's hard.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yup, my son fought back and was reprimanded by the school principal instead for standing his ground.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
and therein lies the problem: be told you need to grow a pair because you didn't defend yourself and if you do defend yourself be expelled or told you used too much force.

imo, too many schools don't do enough to stop bullying and then magnify that mistake by not backing the kid that defend him/herself claiming "zero tolerance" when in fact they tolerated the original bully.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Athenaworth, I'm so glad you posted this. I responded last night but didn't have much time to flesh out my thoughts.

I feel like the response of "grow a pair," toughen up, develop a thicker skin, fight back, etc. is sheer laziness on the part of the public. It is so much easier to say those things than it is to actually deal with the problem. If kids are asking for Safe Zones, aka "protection" it is because there is a problem and they are asking for adults to help them with the matter so they don't have to resort to violence. Our society gets sooooo riled up whenever there is a school shooting, and we immediately scream GUN CONTROL!!!! MENTAL ILLNESS!!! without considering how we might have contributed to the problem or flat out ignored it. Here we have children who are pleading for adults to help protect them and to do something about the problem and all people can say is "grow a pair" and deal with it.

We can't stop every bully and we can't ensure that we can solve these issues for once and for all, but when children are asking to be protected from classmates it is our duty to listen to and validate their concerns and help them. Every person is not built the same way. Some kids are more sensitive than others, and life shouldn't have to be sink or swim, grow a pair and fight back or suffer in silence. Teaching kids to toughen up, to push aside their feelings does nothing but perpetuate the problem. This is how we end up in wars and killing each other--toughen up and fight back instead of loving and respecting each other. Yes, I am an idealist, an optimist, a pacifist, and I still have hope for humanity.

If I ever find out my child is bullying someone, I will be devastated and I will blame myself. I will feel like it's my fault for not building confidence in her (as opposed to "toughening" her up) and for not teaching her that it's not ok to be unaccepting of others' differences. I will not blame the system. I will not blame her teachers, or the world, or video games, or television. It will be my albatross and one that I will have to mend for the good of everyone else. Parents of bullies should be ashamed of themselves. I know I would be.

That may have been a bit of a ramble, and I have many more thoughts on the issue, but those are off the top of my head this morning. I wish it was as simple as telling our kids to toughen up, but that is obviously not working.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I think everyone would agree that name calling, bullying cannot be tolerated on handicapped or young children that have no understanding of why this is happening. I also think that if a child is a loner and doesn't have a group of friends for support, that he/she be given someone in the school to go to, perhaps a guidence councilor, who could advise.

We demand so much of the schools, we have caused them to be in protective mode. There is little reason or common sense in dealing with most problems. Everyone is upset at the slightest hint they are being bullied, discriminated against for anything, which makes it hard to evaluate situations properly. I saw one girls fight in grade school. We all watched, and they were both scratched up, but no one even reported it. The boys always had scuffles and no one cared much. They were just told to stop it.
Frankly, my mothers montra was, "fight your own battles" to my brother and I. There was always some word fights, but no fist a cuffs.

The schools are more dangerous now, and as much as I would like to even suggest a remedy, I am at a ,loss. I believe its the parents, not the schools :it is not their job. (I'm not a teacher)

It would break my heart to see little kids bullied. We see adults do it too.

Annette

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know the answer. I am not sure it can be prevented. My son was bullied in high school and it was years later before he told me. He certainly would not have told teachers or a principal. Then you'd be bullied worse.

This is deep down a moral issue. Many children are so self-centered and have a lack of compassion for other people. Ultimately maybe those kids haven't been loved unconditionally themselves. Maybe they were abused or neglected. It is a hard problem to solve.

I do agree that some of it could be solved when it was okay for little kids to hit back, I am sorry to say. But once that was taken away from them, it is hard for the rule abiding child being picked on to break the rules and be suspended. I can remember when our son was little and we had this discussion. He said the best thing a boy can do is fight back if they want to avoid being bullied in the future. I was so against that at the time. But after teaching for years, I ended up feeling that he was right. We do have a fundamental right to defend ourselves if attacked.

All I can say to parents is to choose your children's schools carefully. There may be bullies everywhere, but I found in a smaller high school where our youngest went, there was less tolerance for bullying and much more awareness if it happened by staff because they knew all the kids well.

I do find the original principal quote interesting since he'd be suspending the kid who "grew a pair" and fought back. :rolleyes:

Nyc2chigal

Shiny_Rock
I expect a few people to be offended by what I am about to say, but it has to be said, and just proves my point.

We've become a soft society.

We teach our kids to be way too passive.

We get offended way too easily.

Granted, bullying needs to stop, but everything nowadays is taken out of context.

Yes, word do hurt, but if we were taught to not take what some punk a$$ kid tells us to heart, then the problem wouldn't be this out of control.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1400797477|3678405 said:
It is blame the victim and the term is offensive.

That said... people do need to learn the skills to cope with adversity. When these kids go to college and then graduate to get jobs what are they going to do without their 'safe zones'?

Also people have to realize that 'disagree' doesn't mean bully. And just because someone doesn't like you it doesn't mean they are a bully. Bullying is a very specific behavior. And many people confusing all sorts of things that ARE NOT bullying with it.

I see adults claiming they are being 'bullied' when really, the only thing that is happening is a disagreement of opinion.

So while I DO believe bullying is real and there needs to be awareness about it and an attitude of no tolerance. I also believe the definition of what amounts to bullying has been expanded too far. And I also believe that it is HEALTHY to learn to cope with people who are disagreeable instead of just running away to an artificial safety zone.

This.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nyc2chigal|1400864472|3678852 said:
I expect a few people to be offended by what I am about to say, but it has to be said, and just proves my point.

I see it that rather, we are finally learning how to treat each other, and with this comes a newfound sensitivity.
We are teaching kids to have a sense of self beyond using violence to solve problems, particularly post-9/11
There have been many righteous causes pushed to the wayside over the years that are now coming to the forefront of public consciousness. No it is no ok to call someone a faggot. No it is not ok to call someone a retard.

Granted, bullying needs to stop, but everything nowadays is taken out of context.
Everything? In what way?

Yes, word do hurt, but if we were taught to not take what some punk a$$ kid tells us to heart, then the problem wouldn't be this out of control.
I'd argue that in a world that allows us to sniper each other anonymously behind screens, values being thin and pretty above all, and has no future job security unless you were a star in every sense of the word (and sometimes not even then)... yeah. I'd say its beyond merely worrrying that the neighborhood punk wants your milk money.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
movie zombie|1400856425|3678769 said:
and therein lies the problem: be told you need to grow a pair because you didn't defend yourself and if you do defend yourself be expelled or told you used too much force.

imo, too many schools don't do enough to stop bullying and then magnify that mistake by not backing the kid that defend him/herself claiming "zero tolerance" when in fact they tolerated the original bully.

EXACTLY THIS.

If my kid gets pulled into the principal's office for defending himself, I will be right there supporting him. Yeah, I did NOT send my kid to be someone's punching bag.

And yes, this exact thing happened to my son. "Don't look like a victim." "Walk away." (Uhhh, exactly how are you supposed to do this when you are surrounded by multiple bullies?) Clearly, the school was not doing S***. I had to take matters into my own hands.

I sent my children to martial arts in the first place b/c repeated bullying. Now I know that they can defend themselves if need be, and it has happened where they did. Fortunately, the situation did not escalate, but I told them that if they get in "trouble" for doing so, I'm behind them 200%. How dare they blame the victim?!?!

And, I think legal recourse is an option. Start by talking about pressing charges, suing the school district and the principal who allows this to continue.

And let me just say, it's the BULLIES who use the excuse of needing to just "grow a pair". WHAT A LOAD OF S***!!!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yep!

You can be caring, welcoming, respectful, diverse, etc. and not be some overly sensitive society that cries "bully" or "harassment" at the slightest word or silence or look.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1400856164|3678764 said:
Yup, my son fought back and was reprimanded by the school principal instead for standing his ground.

GOOD FOR YOUR SON CHRONO. It's the school's fault that he had to fight back in the first place. Yeah, I'd be right there behind my son too. Self-defense skills should NOT be a pre-requisite for school. They go to school to learn, not to be beat up because some kid comes from an abusive household or has played one too many shoot-em-up video games.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ignorance can be so damaging. There are always outliers on the sides of every issue. If the community can get beyond the divisive nature of off the cuff comments like that, it can be a great starting point for communications and improvement. But that's a big IF unfortunately.

Nyc2chigal

Shiny_Rock
Elliot86|1400865688|3678866 said:

I see it that rather, we are finally learning how to treat each other, and with this comes a newfound sensitivity.
We are teaching kids to have a sense of self beyond using violence to solve problems, particularly post-9/11
There have been many righteous causes pushed to the wayside over the years that are now coming to the forefront of public consciousness. No it is no ok to call someone a faggot. No it is not ok to call someone a retard.

Everything? In what way?

I'd argue that in a world that allows us to sniper each other anonymously behind screens, values being thin and pretty above all, and has no future job security unless you were a star in every sense of the word (and sometimes not even then)... yeah. I'd say its beyond merely worrrying that the neighborhood punk wants your milk money.

Virtual bullying is an even more cowardly way of picking on someone. It's pathetic.

The battle against what is beauty and what is not has been going on for ages, so this is nothing new.

The problem is that we have high expectations from every individual.

If we have a bit more self respect, we wouldn't let the bully, whether it's the boss, friend, family member, or whoever, get to us.

We expect acceptance and respect from others, but we don't have either of that for ourselves.
We are a 'gimme' society that wants everything, and if we don't get it, we b1tch and moan.
The problem is what's inside. Fixing the inside won't allow outside garbage to destroy us.

I've been on the receiving end of bullying endless times.
But I was taught that, no matter who it comes from, it's what people do when they:
1. want to feel empowered
2. have a crappy life at home, and need an outlet
3. Are just plain ignorant.

And the list can go on and on.

Teaching zero-tolerance of bullying is just as improtant as teaching against being a bully.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Nyc2chigal, I just noticed on the other thread you said you were 7 months pregnant. If this is your first child, I would love to hear your thoughts after you've given birth, or after your child has been bullied, in whatever way you define it.

If this isn't your first child, I would love to hear examples of how we as a society have exhibited each of the statements you made above.

And how you as a parent (if this is your second child) have taught your first child how to handle situations such as you stated above in a way consistent with not being "passive" and not being "offended way too easily".

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results