shape
carat
color
clarity

If you got divorced or have been divorced....

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would you get rid of your main diamond? I love it for its beauty so I would bless it or get some hocus pocus done and reset it into something I love. I couldn't see selling it for a loss only to buy another diamond.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine was a 3-stone EC ring, and I was going to keep it and re-set it as a pendant or a bale for pearls later.

However, I needed the money to do up my new house, so I sold it instead.

Our platinum wedding bands had been recycled into other rings though, his went into my EC that I bought myself for my 40th birthday, and mine went into a ring that my late partner bought for me.

DK :))

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
No blessing or hocus-pocus needed for my first e-ring - I had absolutely no qualms about resetting the center stone into another piece of jewelry. The ring/stone itself had no meaning and/or significance outside of the fact that it was just a piece of jewelry. When I look at it now, I just think about what a lovely piece of jewelry is (in other words, it doesn't remind me of my ex, my old relationship, my divorce, etc.).

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I eventually sold my e-ring and traded my wedding band. I needed to liquidate and the e-ring was the cold, hard cash I needed, and later I was tired of the band sitting in my jewelry box not being enjoyed by anyone so I traded it towards new jewelry that I love. My old center stone was lovely, but by no means exceptional. Plain old 1.5 round brilliant. I guess I could have set it in a pendant or something, but who wants the OLD ball and chain hanging around their neck? :lol:

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
My ring was stolen, which actually was probably for the best. Prior to that I was leaning towards keeping it for my daughter. I do not wear flashy jewelry with my line of work but I would have no issue with resetting the diamond in a pendant/RHR if it fit my lifestyle.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't think I would wear anything from a previous marriage. I would keep any jewellery for my children though.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AprilBaby|1400702074|3677632 said:
Would you get rid of your main diamond? I love it for its beauty so I would bless it or get some hocus pocus done and reset it into something I love. I couldn't see selling it for a loss only to buy another diamond.

Instead of "getting hocus pocus done", just back up and abandon the idea that such a thing is needed.

These kind of things are not 'out there' as is an real apple on a real table.
Stuff like blessing and hocus pocus is just whatever you create in your head.

If you create the association of bad vibes with a diamond that will be real.
If you don't, it won't.

Same diamond.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I gave my oval solitaire and wedding band to a young lady I met at the gym. She was having a 5-yr recommitment ceremony with her husband. Shotgun wedding at 19 and with 3 young children by the time she was 24, they had overcome a slew of challenges in their short young lives. She was telling me how disappointed her husband was that he couldn't buy her a diamond but it didn't matter to her. I couldn't think of a better way to make use of jewelry I no longer needed.

boerumbiddy

Brilliant_Rock
Only a few close friends know what happened to my engagement ring. I would periodically hock it, first for a Christmas party the year my ex moved out, later when I was a little short of cash for a cruise. Then one year while it was at the pawnbroker's, the store was robbed! I never had to repay the small loan, but I never got the ring back, either. (It was about a 1.1-carat old mine cut from his great aunt in a new Tiffany setting. And I had given him my great aunt's diamond re-set as a tie tack.)

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Matata|1400708909|3677722 said:
I gave my oval solitaire and wedding band to a young lady I met at the gym. She was having a 5-yr recommitment ceremony with her husband. Shotgun wedding at 19 and with 3 young children by the time she was 24, they had overcome a slew of challenges in their short young lives. She was telling me how disappointed her husband was that he couldn't buy her a diamond but it didn't matter to her. I couldn't think of a better way to make use of jewelry I no longer needed.

Uh, that is (and you are) amazing :appl:

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium

That is the sweetest thing, Matata! I can't think of a nicer thing to do with a piece of jewelry.

When my daughter got divorced, she sold her center stone and didn't get much money for it. I thought about buying it from her and just saving it, but that came with too many pitfalls. I tried to talk her out of it, but she did need the money. We had helped her out quite a bit financially, but this was something she could do for herself. Now, it looks like she and her ex hubby are going to get back together. She saved the setting, but it really needs to be remade. But she loved it. I wish I had just bought the stone from her.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
Ha! My first marriage e-ring was a heart shaped, 1 carat~ish CZ that he paid $400 for 2 months after we got married. Yes, I still have it, but I haven't worn it in over 20 years. Not sure what to do with it, actually.

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
My first marriage I had a .30 marquise with a diamond & sapphire band and matching wedding band. It was quite delicate and pretty.
I ended up selling the setting (14k YG) but still have all of the stones. Might make them into a pendant someday, but have much bigger projects to spend my bling money on right now.
I have zero feelings about the stones. Divorced a long time ago and have been happily remarried for many years.

If anything happened to DH number 2, I would most likely sell the original ring from him. But keep everything else I've purchased in the last 3 years. It was all picked out by me, he's just along for the ride :cheeky:

woofmama

Ideal_Rock

Very sweet of you :halo:

NTave

Shiny_Rock
I put mine away in a deposit for my daughter. I loved it then, and although I've thought about resetting it into a pendant, I realized I'd never wear it. I did sell my diamond wedding band (that I bought) and sold it post divorce for funding a speed bike that I could use for triathlons.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1400706985|3677697 said:
AprilBaby|1400702074|3677632 said:

Instead of "getting hocus pocus done", just back up and abandon the idea that such a thing is needed.

These kind of things are not 'out there' as is an real apple on a real table.
Stuff like blessing and hocus pocus is just whatever you create in your head.

If you create the association of bad vibes with a diamond that will be real.
If you don't, it won't.

Same diamond.

I agree with kenny - it's all what you make of it. If you want it to be a lovely diamond, then it's a lovely diamond. If you want it to be a reminder of your past, then it's a reminder of your past. My divorce diamond is a lovely reset and absolutely nothing more:)

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
Matata and her set have good vibes. =)

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I reset my original 1ct MRB in a bezel pendant, had gotten an OEC 3ct upgrade which I recently traded in for an upgrade on my new engagement ring. My new fiance paid the difference and is paying for the custom setting. I didn't want any reminder with the one from the past.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I still have the original husband, but I have had a few e-rings! :lol: I had the original 1 ct solitaire for many years and came to PS because he said I could get a new set for an anniversary. The story of my upgrades is recorded here, but I started with a H&A mrb and end up with an AVR. I still have my original 1 ct diamond and if my kids don't need it for an e-ring, then I will set it in a pendant for one of my girls or granddaughters eventually.

If my husband lost his mind and disappeared, I think I would have no negative feelings about my AVR because I picked it out and he just technically paid for it. I would not wear it as a wedding set, though. It would have to be reset into a three stone or something that didn't look as much like an engagement ring as a solitaire does.

lioness

Brilliant_Rock
I kept the e-ring and the diamond band for my daughters. Let them decide if they want the rings once they come of age. If they don't, momma's going to be listing a wedding set on Preloved.

The plain band? I sold it and spend the cash on a fabulous night out with my fiance. :lol:

SB621

Ideal_Rock
I have not been divorced so perhaps my opinion is worth less then .02 cents.

But for me since we have a DD, if we divorced I would save it for her. If I needed the money though i would sell it without a thought, but I'm not emotionally attached to most of my jewelry. It is just stuff. I can see others who are attached wanted to get rid of the bad vibes/ reminders that are associated.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Still on my first marriage but I do not associate the diamond in my E-ring with the marriage itself. It's just a gorgeous sparkly diamond.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I sold my ering/wbands and all of the other jewelry XH gave me. The proceeds went towards moving and getting set up in my new life.

Boatluvr

Shiny_Rock
I had my 1 ct MRB set in a pinky ring which I love. I call it my divorce ring. I also went out and bought a sports car I had wanted for a long time. It was a nasty divorce and I decided to indulge myself a little!

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
It was a 20something point RB. I had paid for it to be reset (long story). He asked me to return it, so I did!

Today I have something I absolutely adore and if my husband and I split up, I'd want to keep it!

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I saved my first ring for my daughter. It's a 1/3 ct marquis. She's not a big fan of it so it's still sitting in the safe until she "gets settled." When we bought it back in the 80's, I didn't know that diamonds weren't supposed to be milky. LOL It doesn't have any sparkle at all. I understand why she's not in a hurry for it.

I sold my second ring on ebay. I considered having it re-set but the diamond really didn't flip my trigger much anyway. I used the proceeds for an epic antique jewelry spending spree.

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
I gave my e-ring diamond back to my ex-husband. What he did with it, I do not know. I went to the same pawn shop / vintage jewelry store that ring had come from, and I bought myself a solitaire that was larger ( a bit >1ct.) I kept my e-ring mounting and it now has one of Wink's fantastic CZs in it. It's yellow gold, which I don't wear much nowadays. Otherwise, I might have put a real diamond into it.

I had a diamond wedding band, also yellow gold and channel-set. I dismantled it, scrapped the gold, and had the stones mounted into a fashion righthand / cocktail ring type of mounting. They are J color, and as it turns out, they look much whiter now that they have been liberated into WG and a completely different style of mounting.

Had I found PS sooner, I probably would have bought myself about a G SI1 1ct eyeclean superideal diamond instead of a diamond from the local store. But I'm happy with it, and it gives me a souvenir of my happy misspent youth and the great career that I had in that city. :D

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't have any attachment to any of my pieces, so I would get rid of it all in the event of a divorce. In fact, I'm happily married but I already did get rid of the diamond my DH proposed to me with (not a great cut).

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Funny I had never really thought about it before, but come to think of it, I don't think I would ever wear or even recycle the pieces. I don't know how to say it other than it just doesn't feel right. I would not want to take any chances with ju ju, so would never sell my gold band to someone. At the end of the day, I'll give away what is appropriate and sell for scrap what I can. Then I'll use the proceeds for something fun. :))

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really don't know what I would do. The whole process of getting the ER (a 6 month process) through our family jeweler who is now deceased and the 27 years of enjoyment looking at the ring (and accepting compliments therefor) I think could not be erased by a reset. I think that I would be reminded about the whole marriage and divorce when I would wear the stone. Plus all of my friends, family and co-workers would know the stone's origin. I think I would save it for my daughter and whatever she wanted to do with it (re set) would be fine.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results