shape
carat
color
clarity

Are rutiles quartz synthetic?

airdancer

Rough_Rock
I was writing to a gem seller on ebay who has a very nice piece of rutile quartz that I bought. I originally asked if he has those with cats eye and added that well, the chatoyance is not key. I like needles that sweep across clear stones in one direction only. He said he was told that cheap stones (less than $50) that have such are extremely likely to be synthetic. Those that are close to $1000 may also be synthetic.

I can't imagine someone would make rutile quartz because it is quite cheap and it is not as popular as the big 4 ? Anyone has some experience to share?

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I have no expertise in this question. Likely my contribution will only complicate your questions.

Just now, while looking for citations that support my prior belief, I found out that I know nothing.

I was about to say that I could not conceive how rutile and quartz could be synthesized together, as they have such different melting points...as if that were the limiting criterion for such synthesis. I confess, I am in possession of synthetic rutile, and even synthetic quartz, just not the two together in one piece. While I do not know how, in a laboratory situation, rutile and quartz could successfully be combined, I imagine it is possible. I had never heard of this, nor imagined it ( a boy has limits_) until your post.

Thank you for asking your question. I hope we hear from someone knowledgeable.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Ok I just read the last section of your question. Sorry if I am such a scatterbrain. At least tonight I have the excuse that I went to dinner with friends.

Just because a stone is cheap does not mean that someone will not fake it. Plenty of hydrothermal quartz is produced, I have heard it estimated that over 95% of the amethyst on the market is synthetic. It should be relatively easy for those who have the set up to synthesize quartz and rutile to be able to spin the rutile melt, perhaps much as molten sugar is spun, into parallel, potentially chatoyant bundles, and incorporate the molten quartz around it.

If I can imagine it, then it can be done.
Damn.

edited for speling

airdancer

Rough_Rock
VapidLapid|1400643939|3677218 said:
It should be relatively easy for those who have the set up to synthesize quartz and rutile to be able to spin the rutile melt, perhaps much as molten sugar is spun, into parallel, potentially chatoyant bundles, and incorporate the molten quartz around it.

If I can imagine it, then it can be done.
Damn.

edited for speling

Oh my god. This makes sense now. I love the sugar spinning analogy! I was perusing ebay and noticed there are some who state the rutiles in quartz is created. I am amazed how they could insert the rutile into the quartz. It looks like black or gold paper strips in the stone - doesn't look beautiful.

cm366

Shiny_Rock
There is definitely natural rutile quartz, but as VL pointed out it'd be fairly straightforward to layer rutile into the quartz crystal as it was being deposited. I know Brad at The Gem Trader stocks natural stones, but he prefers the truly unusual pieces - I'm sure he could source a nice piece with fine needles or chatoyance if you were looking for something in particular. It's not generally that expensive either.

http://www.thegemtrader.com/Nov%2008%20QRutile%20Page.htm

http://www.thegemtrader.com/Sep%2010%20QR%20Page.htm

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am afraid the posters who wrote above me are correct; synthetic rutile quartz exists, particularly plentiful on eBay.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Synthetic rutile was used as a diamond simulant for years, but I never heard of synthetic rutile needles. I suppose anything is possible, but it wouldn't be that cost effective to make such a gem. Natural quartz with rutile is very affordable as it is.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results