shape
carat
color
clarity

4.1c Colour Change Sapphire for my push pressie!

LadyNewton

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone!
I'm a newbie - both to PS and to the world of coloured gems. I've been wanting to get myself a nice COLOURED gem to set into a ring for my push pressie (just gave birth to baby #3!) :D

I have been thinking of getting a spinel or a sapphire, and recently came across this large colour change sapphire for a low 4-digit sum (which is still princely for a newbie purchase IMHO, esp for sthg i cannot see or touch) by a dealer over ebay.

It is completely untreated and unheated, and comes with a AIGS cert. I just hope the dealer sends me what's on the cert though! The picture on the cert shows a blue stone but his pictures depict a violet and pink colour change stone?

I am concerned about the lack of clarity (it is VS/SI) and also the colour does not seem saturated. There are also brownish spots on the table but I am hoping that the ring setting may be able to camouflage them.

However, the size and colour change properties are very appealing and I wonder if this stone is deemed a 'good buy' and suitable to be set as a ring?

Appreciate all advise, thanks a mil!

colour_change_sapphire1.jpg

colour_change_sapphire2.jpg

colour_change_sapphire3.jpg

colour_change_sapphire4.jpg

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Congrats on the baby! I think the stone looks really pretty! I can't speak to whether or not it's a good buy, but the pics look nice, and once it's on hand, I can't imagine the inclusions you see would be too obvious. I am sure that others will chime in to provide you with better help and guidance, but if you like it, then enjoy it :)

ephsea

Shiny_Rock
I really like this sapphire, based on the pictures. I also don't think you'll see those inclusions when set. I like *both* it's pink and it's violet colors, and finding color-changers where both colors are attractive is difficult. Also I can see some natural growth lines/rutile comets in this crystal, so that is an indication that it's unheated. Sometimes color changers have more than just two colors, it could be more blue in certain lighting as well - email the seller and ask how it performs in different light if you're concerned.

LadyNewton

Rough_Rock
Thanks Endless Summer!

Ephsea, the rutile line that you referred to... is that the line in the centre? I was kinda worried it was some sort of fracture or fissure... :shock:

Does the sapphire look kindy cloudy to any of you?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DId you check the dealer's feedback on toolhaus.org?

LadyNewton

Rough_Rock
I ordered this pair of colour change sapphires just today, thinking that I'd set them as earrings to match the larger stone which is meant for a ring.

But on closer inspection, having some doubts cos one of the stones is filled with so many fracture lines, i'm not sure it qualifies for VS clarity?

Should I decline it after all since I haven't made payment yet?

PRODUCT NAME Natural Unheated Color Change Sapphire
UNIT OF ITEM(s) 2 PIECE(s)
WEIGHT 1.74 CT.
DIMENSION (LXWXH) 7.1 X 5.1 mm.
SHAPE / CUT Pear
COLOR Purple Violet-Purplish Pink
CLARITY / GRADE VS1
LUSTER / BRILLIANCE VERY GOOD
TREATMENT Unheated / Untreated
ORIGIN Madagascar, Africa
HARDNESS 9.0

colour_change_sapphire5.jpg

colour_change_sapphire6.jpg

colour_change_sapphire7.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree that the colouration of the CC sapphire isn't saturated but that is probably why it isn't terribly expensive for a 4 carat sapphire. I'm not too concerned about the speckling which I think will probably end up eye clean-ish but I find the stone too silky for my tolerance. It has too much silk so it will probably look hazy in person, rather than brilliant and sparkly. It is definitely suitable as an everyday wear ring but whether it is a good buy is up to you. A deal is only a deal if it's exactly what you are looking for.

When buying gemstones, look at the pictures. If they don't look eye clean to you, regardless of whatever clarity grading the vendor calls them, then it's not VS to you.

LadyNewton

Rough_Rock
Thanks Chrono, appreciate your advice.
You're probably right... i have been having second thoughts about this as it doesn't feel quite right.

What I'd really like is a sparkling vivid pink spinel or sapphire that is either padparascha or royal blue!

Having tried out a few rings, i realise i'd much prefer something in the 3-4-ish carat range as i already have too many rings with small stones! How much do you reckon a stone like that would cost?

in the meantime, i purchased this Namibia red garnet as a consolation prize :wink2:
its 4.69c and IF. Pls feel free to comment! :appl:

p/s these are vendor's pix as i haven't received the stone yet!

_18345.jpg

_18346.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The garnet looks super dark, if that's what you are looking for. I suggest contacting Primagems for a 3 to 4 carat vivid pink spinel.

Included and shallow but look at that colour.
https://www.primagemsusa.com/content/spinel-6

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a cool idea for a push present-a color change sapphire from blue to pink-just like the baby colors-blue for boy and pink for girl especially if one waits to find out the sex of the baby until birth! If one knows the sex, then a blue gem for a boy and a pink gem for a girl. Never thought of this before. For my push presents I went for the gem stones of the babies. Of course diamonds are neutral... :lol: :lol:

LadyNewton

Rough_Rock
Hi TL! :wavey:
Opps... think i forgot to reply you! :oops:
Thanks for reminding me about toolhaus.org. I did check it out. The vendor received some negative feedback previously but that was around 2010/2011. In recent years there was hardly anything. On ebay, his feedback was mainly positive. =)
That's why i'm more concerned about the stone per se, whether its the right one for me...
Sigh... decisions, decisions!

LadyNewton

Rough_Rock
Hi Lambskin!
That's a nice thought! Didn't occur to me before... it wasn't deliberate I assure you! :lol:
I do like the pretty colours and the colour change properties is another bonus but wish the stone is of a better quality i.e. less rutile lines, less hazy, and more saturated colours.
There's probably a lot more that a newbie like me isn't able to discern yet!

What can I say... i guess i want to have my cake and eat it! a nice dazzling stone with a vivid colour, good size and specs to make a quality piece of jewelry, but yet something that is within my budget and doesn't cost me an arm and a leg! Too much to ask for i guess?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results