shape
carat
color
clarity

R you obligated to read every post after yours in a thread?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
… even if the thread goes on for weeks and a zillion pages?

If not, do you worry someone may have responded to YOUR post with a question for you?
At what point (time, additional pages or posts) after your post do you stop feeling obligated to check?

Have you ever responded to the tread Subject line without reading the entire thread?
Is doing that okay?

Next, how do you decide what posts require a response from you?
Please give examples of posts addressed to you that mandate a response, an optional response, or no response.
Thanks.

I wouldn't want anyone to think, "Oh Kenny doesn't respond to me."
I certainly do not single out anybody to ignore.
I just suspect my opinion on what does not require a response may not be the same as that of the majority, and I don't follow every thread I have posted in till it sinks out of view.

Curious Kenny.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: R you obligated to read every post after yours in a thre

Hi,

I think the only time I would feel an obligation to read the thread through is if i started the thread.

Otherwise, I sometimes just post to give a piece of information or my opinion.- on the matter. I do not think i have to return to the thread to look for any responses.

If I ask someone a question I would also look for a response in the thread. after receiving a response I would no longer feel I had to read on.

If someone gets defensive about my comment or opinion I try not to respond, as I have only given my opinion. If they are bothered by it, they certainly can post, but I won't respond. (Not a hard and fast rule.)

I had to come back to add. When a thread that you started gets too long, you just come in and thank everyone for their comments, and that you will think about what they said. Thats closure for you and you don't have to stay in th thread. You have signed off.

Annette

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

Obligated? No. Read/respond out of common courtesy? Sure, but again, no one is obligated to read/post any thing at any time.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

momhappy|1400271059|3674373 said:
Obligated? No. Read/respond out of common courtesy? Sure, but again, no one is obligated to read/post any thing at any time.

Common courtesy and common sense are slippery terms.
Common infers there is only one correct way which is obvious to and agreed upon by everyone.

That's why I ask people to post examples of the 3 ,,, when a response is required, optional and not expected.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Like Annette, If I start a thread I feel obligated to read it through and respond. But that's just me and how I feel and not attaching any should or should not to you. That's for you to decide what feels right for you.

I admit sometimes I respond to someone else's thread without reading it through especially if I have come late to the thread. But more often than not I read it through though sometimes I do it after I post so I am not influenced by other posts.

If someone has addressed me personally in a thread I like to respond to them otherwise I respond if I want to respond and don't if I don't.

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock

I try to read follow-ups but sometimes I miss things. PS is a huge website.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock

If I start a thread I usually keep reading it out of interest & to respond to things or say thanks.

Sometimes I post in a thread without reading the whole thing, if it's long. I'll read the 1st few posts & the last few -- and then usually put up a half-assed ignorant response. :oops:

Unfortunately I don't always get back to threads on which I've posted once. The Stories of Our Furbabies is an example -- turns out after one post I wrote, Deb (AGBF) answered w/a question or something & I didn't go back to see it. I felt awfully guilty when she mentioned it in another thread. You can't always check on every place you leave a comment, though -- I get sidetracked onto other things & just forget to check back.

I don't think anybody takes it personally if someone doesn't always answer in a thread. Forums are fluid. Everybody knows you would answer if you saw it.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium

smitcompton|1400267085|3674329 said:
Hi,

I think the only time I would feel an obligation to read the thread through is if i started the thread.

Otherwise, I sometimes just post to give a piece of information or my opinion.- on the matter. I do not think i have to return to the thread to look for any responses.

If I ask someone a question I would also look for a response in the thread. after receiving a response I would no longer feel I had to read on.

If someone gets defensive about my comment or opinion I try not to respond, as I have only given my opinion. If they are bothered by it, they certainly can post, but I won't respond. (Not a hard and fast rule.)

I had to come back to add. When a thread that you started gets too long, you just come in and thank everyone for their comments, and that you will think about what they said. Thats closure for you and you don't have to stay in th thread. You have signed off.

Annette

This is my approach too.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

marymm|1400286209|3674550 said:
smitcompton|1400267085|3674329 said:
Hi,

Annette

This is my approach too.

Me too.

If I'm interested in a topic and have time, I tend to follow more closely. If I see a response directed at me I may respond if my point was misunderstood or if a person had a question directed at me. If it is a simple statement saying that they agree then I probably won't reply.

I don't feel an obligation to go back. If I am busy or just have nothing further to add I don't worry about it.

There isn't really a strict rule, even unwritten, about how long you have to watch or even if you have to check for replies. I'm only slightly annoyed to get no response from a person if they have gone out of their way to reply to every other poster and skipped over me. Even then, I figure it was an oversight and don't let it bug me. If the same poster did this repeatedly I might think it was intentional but I also think it is their choice and i won't take it personally.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

We are all obligated to read every one of Kenny's post b/c that is a PS policy... ;))

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Of course.
I'm better than sex. ;-)

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Kenny;

For you I will agree that you do not have to read that zillionth page.

On the other hand, you do have to read the 999+ Billion previous pages.

For myself and many others.... Nope. No obligation whatsoever. If I start a thread I feel obligated to at least scan all the replies - even if they go off topic. Sometimes that is a joy, other-times a chore. Of course, I don't start many threads these days (thinking of one now - but want to wait until I have a better grasp on the possibilities). I don't post much either. I do read a lot and at times quite frequently (I have been following various threads ever day for the last several weeks).

If you are wondering why I believe a different standard applies to you. Because you are Kenny; who is not just another guy... But, someone special. Thus, special rules apply.

Have a great day,

Perry

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

kenny|1400301321|3674691 said:
Of course.
I'm better than sex. ;-)
Nothing personal but I'd prefer sex with Octavia then you!.... :tongue:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

Unless it is something I am really interested in I just skim it and see if anyone quoted me or asks me a question.
Only takes 20 seconds to skim a page.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

kenny|1400271386|3674378 said:
momhappy|1400271059|3674373 said:

Common courtesy and common sense are slippery terms.
Common infers there is only one correct way which is obvious to and agreed upon by everyone.

That's why I ask people to post examples of the 3 ,,, when a response is required, optional and not expected.

The word common is not defined as only one way and/or agreed upon by everyone. It means often done, prevalent, etc. The term common courtesy means that often times (not always) people conduct themselves in socially acceptable ways (in terms of manners, etiquette, etc.).
My point was that often times, people feel a sense of responsibility to read and/or reply out of common courtesy because that's what other posters here often do.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock

If I start a thread I feel like I should respond to every single reply. And I worry I will miss someone out and hurt their feelings. And there have been times I have revisited one of my older threads and saw that someone had responded long after I thought it was done and that makes me feel bad too. Maybe I'm too soft?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Maisie|1400349250|3674993 said:
If I start a thread I feel like I should respond to every single reply. And I worry I will miss someone out and hurt their feelings. And there have been times I have revisited one of my older threads and saw that someone had responded long after I thought it was done and that makes me feel bad too. Maybe I'm too soft?

I don't think you are too soft Maisie (except in the best positive way that is) and I feel the same. There is nothing wrong with being compassionate and in fact I think it's a good quality to have.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock

missy|1400415337|3675404 said:

I don't think you are too soft Maisie (except in the best positive way that is) and I feel the same. There is nothing wrong with being compassionate and in fact I think it's a good quality to have.

1237379fdqxrvb3f5.gif

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

One clarification too!

If you start a thread, I think you have a bit more obligation to read every post than if you just commented in a thread someone else had started. This is especially true if you were asking for opinions, advice, feedback, etc.

That said, I don't expect that YT has read every last post in the furbabies thread or that Kaleigh still reads every last post in the pregnancy thread or that VRBeauty reads every last post in the random talk thread. If it is more a place for all to come discuss and share photos or information on a particular topic, I think it is okay to participate for awhile and then drift away if you want. That would be an awfully big obligation otherwise!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Maisie|1400433966|3675517 said:
missy|1400415337|3675404 said:

1237379fdqxrvb3f5.gif

huggy.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock

If you start the thread and people take the time to comment, yes, I think you should read the posts. I don't think you need to respond to everyone however, especially quoting each person individually. Makes a thread very difficult to read IMHO.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results