shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting for cushion cut studs - baskets or 4-prong martini?

Wieke

Rough_Rock
Do you anyone have experience with these particular settings (both BGD)? It is hard to compare, since all I see and hear about were made for round stones.

Question is also concerning the backs - baskets go with friction backs, the handmade martinis with la pousette? I guess the la pousette I would have to remove each evening?

The martinis look more luxurious (and cost the double plus take time, but that is not the issue), I am more worried about them ironically sticking out/drooping, since the diamond will be not as close as in these low sitting baskets. And about widening the ear piercings with this type of ending, the plate not letting them snugg too close into the piercing, but the higher position being too far from the lobe? Plus the curved end vs. square stone... the baskets are more simple, modern somehow and should be really low sitting.

Martinis, but custom made to 4 prongs:

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond-earrings/studs/handmade-martini-earrings-platinum-5410p

or the type in the picture (looks massive, but will be adapted/refined to the stones).

_18243.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Wieke

Rough_Rock
Re: Setting for cushion cut studs - baskets or 4-prong marti

Hi. Thanks for the reaction.

I was considering those as well. They would be really nice low sitting. Am just a bit worried that they are a bit too romantic for my sporty style and the simplicity of the cushions. Maybe the martinis could be done in a similar shape? At the same time once they are in the ear I don't think you see much of the setting anyway so the romantic aspect should not play I huge role I guess?

Do you by any chance know what carat size the studs of your friend are?

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hi Wieke

I wasn't going to post these until you said you were a sporty kind of person and wanted something to sit flat. Here are my cushion studs, set in a BGD bezel. The photos are pretty uninspiring, but the earrings are gorgeous and very easy to wear.

briangavin_bezels_1.jpg

briangavin_bezels_2.jpg

briangavin_bezels_3.jpg

Wieke

Rough_Rock

Dear Mrs Blop,

thank you so much!!!

There are so few examples to be seen out there of any lovely cushion earrings, and BGD were also not able to provide me (m)any.

Now you are making my life even more complicated with another choice to consider :) but thank you for that!

Can you please tell me the carat weight of the pair to get an idea of the size? And also how are you happy with the backs? Is this the new H&A signature cushion or a different cushion? From BGD?

Wieke

Rough_Rock

Mrs Blop - Your studs are gorgeous by the way, I was asking myself always how they might look in a bezel setting. It would not match the setting of my e-ring, which is a 4 prong solution, but on the other hand it does not always have to be all just about matching old with new, does it?

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hi Wieke :wavey:

My studs are 1.3cttw, and no, they're not BGD stones. They are, however, very clean and white and well cut modern cushions.

I like my jewelry to look like it goes together - but I'm not a fan of heavily matched jewelry. For me, if both ring and earrings are in a minimalist or modern style and if the metal color matches (ie white metals vs yellow or rose metals), then that's enough for me. Given that studs are, in general, much smaller than e-rings, the effect of prongs on the setting is different anyway, and the way something sits on your finger will never look like the way something sits on your ear. I like the bezels on these earrings because it opens up the face of the stones. The bezel is very delicate and narrow, and the whole look is smooth and modern - but very classic. I think they would go with almost anything - even more ornate settings - as they're a very timeless look.

These are my every day earrings. They catch on nothing and sit very close to my ear, they go with everything - they're pretty perfect, really!

Hospatogi

Brilliant_Rock

I love these cushion cut studs from Good Old Gold.

_18255.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Gypsy|1400222863|3673970 said:
None of the above. I'd do these: http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond-earrings/studs/truth-studs-platinum-5773p

One of my friends has them and they are perfect.

My second choice would be he martini's. Those baskets just don't appeal to me.

I can't tell anything about that basket setting, but BG has done beautiful low-set baskets in the past. Their martini design is awful and sets the stones way too high, in my opinion. I LOVE the ones Gypsy linked and that would be my first choice. It definitely looks more comfortable than martinis and should not droop at all. Trust me, you can't see the base of those settings. I don't particularly see them as "romantic" anyway. They are just a more elegant custom design than martinis or baskets.

I use regular push backs on all my earrings. But if you want Lapousette, I am sure you can pay extra for them with any of the settings. You push the back on as tightly as you can and still be comfortable. You do not stop at the grooved spot.

Wieke

Rough_Rock

Hey Diamondseeker 2006

I hope that a middle solution is possible, that since the martinis need to be made from scratch and I do not have to have la Pousette backs (I guess this doughnut shape is there only because of the la Pousette posts), the shape/curve of the 4 main prongs of the truth setting (since my martinis would have 4 prongs) could be copied and so the sitting of the stones on the ears would be exactly the same as in truth, only without the "flower-like" detail, which I find beautiful but not really matching my style.

What do you think about this????

Wieke

Rough_Rock

Also when you for example look at these two pairs - the one with pink background sits really high, and the other inspired by Leon (greyish background) is much lower. So if I can get rid of the doughnut shape by omitting la Pousette I think the final shape and look could be similar to truth setting???

5410p.jpg

briangavin_martini3_112709.jpg

Wieke

Rough_Rock

So handmade 4 prong martinis they shall be. Thank you everyone for helping me out with your advice :) Will be back once there is a result to post!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Sorry I did not see your last question! I would just emphasize to them that you want the stone set as low as possible where the stone is less than a mm from the base of the setting. I like the settings but not with the stone set high like the one with the pink background. Good luck and we'll look forward to seeing the finished pair of earrings!

Wieke

Rough_Rock

You cannot imagine how annoying customer I was (am), I emphasised and emphasised... will see the final result :) I totally agree that the distance makes the whole difference. But after all the discussions and time we took I feel confident about the choice. It will take me a while to get used to 0.0 ctw to 1.4 ctw :)

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Wieke|1400533214|3676284 said:
You cannot imagine how annoying customer I was (am), I emphasised and emphasised... will see the final result :) I totally agree that the distance makes the whole difference. But after all the discussions and time we took I feel confident about the choice. It will take me a while to get used to 0.0 ctw to 1.4 ctw :)
Congrats Wieke! Can't wait to see the end result. And I BET it won't take you long at a to go from zero to 1.4. :). Let me know if I turn out to be wrong! ;-)

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock

I am the minority and find martini settings uncomfortable.

Wieke

Rough_Rock

Since the more I am on PS, the more I hate unfinished topics, here they are - custom made 4 prong martinis:
(and thanks everyone for your guidance, I love wearing them, no issues whatsoever)

20140604_0.jpg

briangavin_cushion_studs_2.jpg

briangavin_cushion_studs_0.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results