shape
carat
color
clarity

I just bought this!

airdancer

Rough_Rock
I really want to show you all this. I really love the colour! The cutting is fabulous! (Toracca) The odd thing about this gem is that it needs a bit of shadow to really showcase its brilliance. (It looks more fabulous in my bag than out in the open.)

The tilt window - do you think it is big? It bothers me a little. I did a search on some old forum messages. There was a good advice that there should be a basket underneath with lots of metal to close up the window. I had thought of a side stone setting when I bought the stone. Now I think, a bezel setting with a closed basket. What do you think?

20140515_030121.jpg
20140515_035448.jpg 20140515_035345.jpg
20140515_025919.jpg

patricias

Shiny_Rock
Trade
What kind of stone is it?

airdancer

Rough_Rock
It is a Grossular Garnet from Tanzania.

airdancer

Rough_Rock
Here it is in my bag! :love: Sorry for all the pictures!
img-20140515-wa0011.jpg

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
It's gorgeous! Most colored gems have a tilt window and you shouldn't see it when set.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
velouriaL|1400126085|3673186 said:
It's gorgeous! Most colored gems have a tilt window and you shouldn't see it when set.
This exactly. Even diamonds have tilt windows, they're just harder to find. I have never paid attention to any see through spots once the stone is set. I wouldn't change the setting for it if you had your heart set on something before.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Garnets have a high enough RI where the tilt window should not be so large or very easily seen. I think this particular design which has a large table is why your garnet shows a large tilt window easily. The reason why it looks better in the shadows is due to the light tone and saturation. Strong lighting is washing out its colour so blocking out light will allow the colour to show through better.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Very pretty! Love its subtle color. I didn't notice the tilt window till you mentioned it -- think it won't be an issue once it is set.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
such a lovely subtle color.

(It looks more fabulous in my bag than out in the open.)

I know what you mean about this, a few of my chrysos do the same. I wonder if its because of the light coloring?

airdancer

Rough_Rock
Brought the stone out into the sun and looked at it. Oh my god, my eyes. It was so brilliant I couldn't look at it directly (or I would go blind). :lol:

I understand what you mean about the table. The tilt window looks quite wide. I have to think about the setting further.

I love the light body colour. The whole thing just jumps at you in shadows. I am really surprised because I have seen so many handshots of coloured stones in the sun. So far my purchases look better out of the sun.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
airdancer|1400160944|3673407 said:
Brought the stone out into the sun and looked at it. Oh my god, my eyes. It was so brilliant I couldn't look at it directly (or I would go blind). :lol:

I understand what you mean about the table. The tilt window looks quite wide. I have to think about the setting further.

I love the light body colour. The whole thing just jumps at you in shadows. I am really surprised because I have seen so many handshots of coloured stones in the sun. So far my purchases look better out of the sun.

If it's light in tone, and has a high luster/sparkle, I would set it in a halo, or a setting that surrounds it in metal and/or diamonds. The facet pattern you get in the shadow, that you like so much, will be more evident in such a type of setting. It will also help minimize the tilt window. I personally wouldn't set it in an open solitaire.

airdancer

Rough_Rock
Exactly what I thought TL! I think It would look very nice in bezel with a basket.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
airdancer|1400387953|3675317 said:
Exactly what I thought TL! I think It would look very nice in bezel with a basket.

Get a very good jeweler to do the bezel. Bezels are difficult to do properly, and can come out uneven and/or cover too much of the stone. There's also a higher chance of chipping the stone in a bezel.

Good luck!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results