shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you have diamonds that you haven't posted to PS? Why not?

Ninna

Shiny_Rock
Re: Do you have diamonds that you haven't posted to PS? Why

TooPatient|1400035300|3672263 said:
Ninna|1400034545|3672255 said:
monarch64|1400028562|3672176 said:
IndyLady|1400028317|3672171 said:
psproot12|1400024577|3672116 said:
Ninna|1399912476|3671060 said:
Yes. Security, criticism and do-not-copy-me issue :wavey:

Security? Not to be rude and say this isn't a reasonable concern but I don't think you have too much to worry about. PS is a trustworthy site, they would never disclose personal information. Also, it's not like you're posting your address and the location of your keys everytime you make a post :D

Security is not only a reasonable concern, but a necessary concern. The site moderators are unlikely to disclose your personal information, but that is not really the issue. The issue is your own participation on the forum, from buying jewelry through the Preloved forum which will give someone your address (and link you to your PS account if you have the same handle, or chose to disclose that yourself), participating in GTG's where you might meet others in person, posting personal pictures, participation in threads in which you disclose your geographic location, profession, your other hobbies etc. all give rise to security concerns. You can share as little or as much as you'd like, but, for posters that may be on the site for years with thousands of posts, a poster's history can give a reader (even an unregistered reader) a very personal snapshot into your life. Should you be paranoid about a break in? No, I don't think so, especially if you are even just a little guarded with your posts--but is it a possibility that your particularly gorgeous diamond or particularly unique setting might make you recognizable--certainly. There are some PS rings I love; I'd probably recognize them if I saw one of my favorites in real life. The creepy thing is, the owner/poster may not know I'm a PS'er, or that I know they're wearing VC/Leon/an AVC, etc.

Yup, all of this.

Thank you IndyLady and monarch for chiming in :love: I wish I could explain what an innocent picture can disclose. Cookies, flowers ok, diamonds nay :lol:

Have to be careful with the cookies & flowers too. I was about to post a picture of my herb garden the other day and realized you could see our neighbor's license plate number and house number clearly. Another time I barely caught that our house number and license plate were in the picture. One of my cats was sitting on a posting book for work.... with lots of personal client information. The list goes on!

It is amazing how much information can be in a fun picture and not even noticed unless you look for it.

Oh!
And at one of the local GTG dinners, one of the PSers was showing pictures of her dog and I recognized it from our neighborhood. She lives right around the corner from me!

I'm comfortable posting non jewelry items using an old phone without metadata storage and make sure to blur/crop surroundings. There's always one ahead of the game, newer people here are well aware of this. Our last GTG wasn't even mentioned here. :praise:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

[quote="Ninna|1400040206|

I'm comfortable posting non jewelry items using an old phone without metadata storage and make sure to blur/crop surroundings. There's always one ahead of the game, newer people here are well aware of this. Our last GTG wasn't even mentioned here. :praise:[/quote]

A top secret GTG?... :Up_to_something:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Elliot86|1400037086|3672283 said:
psproot12|1400023973|3672106 said:
Every time I see some stunning piece on PS, I can't fault it... but I read the comments are it'll be like: "lovely stone, but way too shallow for my taste" or "Very yellowish, clarity's not great either. I would've passed". I mean come on people! Keep your rude comments to yourself unless

1. You feel like they were ripped off.
2. This is actually important advice they should know.
3. It's a real issue with the stone (i.e. indication of treatment when they thought to be untreated, etc.), not just a preference thing.
4. People ASKED for criticism!

I bought a bad stone recently and thanks to the advice of people PS, I was able to return it for a 90% refund. I'm still very appreciative of that, but there is also unnecessary criticism, especially on sentimental and meaningful pieces!

Every time, really? I have never encountered this on a Show Me the Bling thread. Everyone here is very sweet and lovely when it comes to already purchased and loved jewelry.

Mostly when people get those comments they appear on the main board asking did I pay too much, did I get ripped off, would you buy this stone and a heap more questions like this - they are asking for honest opinions and they get them, if they can't handle them (I have lost count of the number of guys that think they got this astounding bargain only to find out their EGL graded stone or what ever is an overprice piece of junk.... purchased from a friend of a friend of cousins X's friend who is in the Industry) they should not be asking...

I just don't see what you are talking about in the Show Me the Bling section, I don't see this at all with loved and treasured pieces - it is an unstated rule that the piece has been purchased the person owns it and they are sharing pics, so it can have a huge window, it can be a butt ugly cut, it can be set in the halo from hell, it can be the most vile hideous thing going etc and unless the poster specifically ask do you like it, what do you think of it, or I don't like it help me and that person wants advice, everyone either congratulates them, ignores the thread or gives them the advice they asked for.

You can't expect people not to say that diamond is way too shallow (which it probably was), it's way too yellow for some people (which it probably is) or it has a really rubbish clarity or cut (which it probably does) when the person has asked for honest opinions. Sometimes some of the newbies want to argue with people that have been on the boards for years and know way better than they do and I think they deserve a medal for the amount of patience they actually have. Rudeness goes both ways the advise on here is mostly helpful and it's free.

Andelain

Ideal_Rock

Ninna|1400040206|3672324 said:
I'm comfortable posting non jewelry items using an old phone without metadata storage and make sure to blur/crop surroundings. There's always one ahead of the game, newer people here are well aware of this. Our last GTG wasn't even mentioned here. :praise:

I crop out anything I don't want showing, get the pic looking how I want it, then take a screenshot and post that. The originals never see the light of day.

SB621

Ideal_Rock

Every time I see some stunning piece on PS, I can't fault it... but I read the comments are it'll be like: "lovely stone, but way too shallow for my taste" or "Very yellowish, clarity's not great either. I would've passed". I mean come on people! Keep your rude comments to yourself unless

1. You feel like they were ripped off.
2. This is actually important advice they should know.
3. It's a real issue with the stone (i.e. indication of treatment when they thought to be untreated, etc.), not just a preference thing.
4. People ASKED for criticism!

I bought a bad stone recently and thanks to the advice of people PS, I was able to return it for a 90% refund. I'm still very appreciative of that, but there is also unnecessary criticism, especially on sentimental and meaningful pieces!

Every time, really? I have never encountered this on a Show Me the Bling thread. Everyone here is very sweet and lovely when it comes to already purchased and loved jewelry.

I think that psproot was talking about the colored stone forum which can be pretty cut throat (along with Rockytalk) at times.

For me I'm done doing any type of new thread on my stuff. i might throw up the occasional picture, but I think for safety reasons, as well as I just want my collection to remain private is enough reason for me. It is weird to see some of my jewelry posted on pinterest, instagram and other places. It is also extremely uncomfortable when ppl find me on facebook or contact me through LT. Usually I don't mind but I think I need to take a page from Chrono's book and protect myself a little better.

psproot12

Shiny_Rock

IndyLady|1400028317|3672171 said:
psproot12|1400024577|3672116 said:
Ninna|1399912476|3671060 said:
Yes. Security, criticism and do-not-copy-me issue :wavey:

Security? Not to be rude and say this isn't a reasonable concern but I don't think you have too much to worry about. PS is a trustworthy site, they would never disclose personal information. Also, it's not like you're posting your address and the location of your keys everytime you make a post :D

Security is not only a reasonable concern, but a necessary concern. The site moderators are unlikely to disclose your personal information, but that is not really the issue. The issue is your own participation on the forum, from buying jewelry through the Preloved forum which will give someone your address (and link you to your PS account if you have the same handle, or chose to disclose that yourself), participating in GTG's where you might meet others in person, posting personal pictures, participation in threads in which you disclose your geographic location, profession, your other hobbies etc. all give rise to security concerns. You can share as little or as much as you'd like, but, for posters that may be on the site for years with thousands of posts, a poster's history can give a reader (even an unregistered reader) a very personal snapshot into your life. Should you be paranoid about a break in? No, I don't think so, especially if you are even just a little guarded with your posts--but is it a possibility that your particularly gorgeous diamond or particularly unique setting might make you recognizable--certainly. There are some PS rings I love; I'd probably recognize them if I saw one of my favorites in real life. The creepy thing is, the owner/poster may not know I'm a PS'er, or that I know they're wearing VC/Leon/an AVC, etc.

Exactly, you can post as little as you like and people have posted amazing V&A pieces worth in the six figures, without fear because they know they're not giving away any information.

psproot12

Shiny_Rock

Totally true, security can be an issue with any website, but a few reasonable measures and it really becomes a non-issue.

psproot12

Shiny_Rock

SB621|1400053139|3672408 said:

I think that psproot was talking about the colored stone forum which can be pretty cut throat (along with Rockytalk) at times.

For me I'm done doing any type of new thread on my stuff. i might throw up the occasional picture, but I think for safety reasons, as well as I just want my collection to remain private is enough reason for me. It is weird to see some of my jewelry posted on pinterest, instagram and other places. It is also extremely uncomfortable when ppl find me on facebook or contact me through LT. Usually I don't mind but I think I need to take a page from Chrono's book and protect myself a little better.

I was referring to the colored stones forum, specifically this large pink spinel post in which it was hard for any PSer not to mention a few tiny inclusions!

psproot12

Shiny_Rock

I just don't see what you are talking about in the Show Me the Bling section, I don't see this at all with loved and treasured pieces - it is an unstated rule that the piece has been purchased the person owns it and they are sharing pics, so it can have a huge window, it can be a butt ugly cut, it can be set in the halo from hell, it can be the most vile hideous thing going etc and unless the poster specifically ask do you like it, what do you think of it, or I don't like it help me and that person wants advice, everyone either congratulates them, ignores the thread or gives them the advice they asked for.

You can't expect people not to say that diamond is way too shallow (which it probably was), it's way too yellow for some people (which it probably is) or it has a really rubbish clarity or cut (which it probably does) when the person has asked for honest opinions. Sometimes some of the newbies want to argue with people that have been on the boards for years and know way better than they do and I think they deserve a medal for the amount of patience they actually have. Rudeness goes both ways the advise on here is mostly helpful and it's free.[/quote]

Take a quick look through the colored stones section :)

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

O.K no problem I thought you were referring to the main boards. I only go to the coloured section when I want to look up things and comment now and again but that is all.... of the few times I have gone there a lot of their opinions might be strong but they are honest especially when people ask should I buy this gem or that gem and I for one do appreciate that aspect of being here.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

arkieb1|1400072645|3672505 said:
O.K no problem I thought you were referring to the main boards. I only go to the coloured section when I want to look up things and comment now and again but that is all.... of the few times I have gone there a lot of their opinions might be strong but they are honest especially when people ask should I buy this gem or that gem and I for one do appreciate that aspect of being here.

That is the intent of most posters in the CS thread for stones that are still within the return period. Once it is already purchased and/or the poster obviously loves it so much there is no way it will be returned, then the comments are more slanted towards gem appreciation. There is a pinned SMTB for coloured stones in the CS section geared more for showing off stones/jewellery proudly. There is an unspoken rule that no rudeness or negativity will be tolerated in that section.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hi Chrono,

No arguments from me, I'm not the one having a go at anyone, I think that fact so many of you bother to help new people and more experienced ones is fantastic. By in large it is much the same as the main boards you can't show up asking what people think of this stone or that stone and not expect to get realistic answers, if the stone for example has a big window and they are saying look at this fabulous stone I am about to purchase it is counter productive not to mention this, same with comments about the saturation etc but like I said in the original post I think a lot of newbies come here, a lot of guys in particular, expecting flattery or to be told they got some fabulous deal and don't necessarily want to hear otherwise.

There are catty comments in both lots of boards but I think if people aim to seek drama both here and in life in general then drama will find them. I will say that a number of people have commented that they don't go into the coloured section because they are scared to do so, but again I have heard similar comments about the main boards too. When I first started posted it was a trial by fire and a couple of P/S friends have been attacked on here over really trivial things so sometimes I guess it is difficult for people in the real world not to take things people say in the virtual one the wrong way....

I have actually wondered for a while now, even though it would be more work for the moderators why there isn't a SMTB section for colour items and a separate coloured board for help and discussion like the main boards, the pinned section up top is possibly lost on newbies.... I think this might help eliminate what the OP above is talking about, that way no-one will feel criticised about something they already own or have purchased.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Chrono|1400081772|3672601 said:
arkieb1|1400072645|3672505 said:

That is the intent of most posters in the CS thread for stones that are still within the return period. Once it is already purchased and/or the poster obviously loves it so much there is no way it will be returned, then the comments are more slanted towards gem appreciation. There is a pinned SMTB for coloured stones in the CS section geared more for showing off stones/jewellery proudly. There is an unspoken rule that no rudeness or negativity will be tolerated in that section.
Chrono...you scared me away from the CS forum... :lol:

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock

There are a ton of stuff at the bank that I haven't posted. 1) it takes too much time to get it all out and home. 2) then I have to clean it and photograph it. 3) Half of the pictures look like crap, so I give up and bring it back. I can barely remember to get the new stuff out for our gtgs!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results