shape
carat
color
clarity

Please post your step by step ring cleaning method..

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What kind of device do you use? US cleaner? steamer? or?
what type of solutions do you use?
Any difference if I use 91% or 99% alcohol for rinsing?
If I use alcohol as a final rinse do I still needed to wipe the diamond with a cloth or air spray it?

Thanks

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
I have a small ultrasonic cleaner that I like to use for my bling cleaning.

I run the tap water til it's as hot as it will run, and then fill it just shy of the max fill line. I then add in the cleaners, so it won't end up all frothy. I use 2 pumps of Dawn dish soap, a splash of windex, and a splash of rubbing alcohol. I then let it run for a while (time varies by what I have going on). Then, I use a soft toothbrush to scrub the nooks and crannies. Another 5 or so minute bath, and then a rinse in cold water followed by immediate dry.

I used to use an ultrasonic cleaner concentrate mix, but found that for the price, my concoction worked just as well.

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have a Jewel Jet which I have never used due to voltage conversion issue.
I wash mine with dish washing detergent and water. Then dry with a towel.

MCAUDI

Rough_Rock
I soak mine for about 10 minutes in assorted mixtures. Either diluted windex with a few drops of dawn, the pink jewelry cleaner concentrate mixed with water and a few drops of dawn or warm water sudsy water with dawn. I rinse it then with water and dry with an eye glass cloth. Once in a while I use a baby tooth brush to scrub the diamonds or gemstones. I get out my jewel jet about once a month and give my diamonds a blast.

Marcy

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Only 3 replies...Must be top secret!.. :bigsmile:

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a few routines that I alternate based on what I have going on:
One is that I wash my hands with Method dishsoap, then spray Windex (ONLY a good idea on plat) and rinse well, then dry well and wipe down with 91% alcohol on a paper towel. I also keep a bottle of the Everyday version of the Sparkle Sparkle near my kitchen sink and some days I use that instead of Windex.

Other times I wash my hands with Method dish soap, then spray Sparkle Sparkle or that purple stuff, use the little brushes, rinse, spray again, rinse. Then remove them from my hand over a soft surface (usually the guest bed) and one ring at a time will spray say the e-ring, and count to about 30. Then I rinse again, and then spray again, lightly brush again, then rinse and spray again, and rinse and dry the e-ring really well, twisting the dry corners of a paper towel to get under the stone, then wipe with an alcohol dabbed dry paper towel then put it away. Then I dry the plain band and then put it away. Then I spray the diamond band really well, count to 30. Kinda poke a tiny brush in the holes under the stone, rinse well, spray again, rinse well. Dry really well, blow dry under the stones. Then I wipe it all down with another alcohol dampened dry paper towel. Then put it away.

Other times I bust out the steamer and distilled water. I'll wash my hands with the dishsoap, spray with one of the spray cleaners, rinse well, and then dry well. Then I take the rings off over the guest bed and one by one will steam them. I spend the most time steaming the wedding band because gunk and skin bits get under those stones in the little holes.

Other days I'll soak them in individual glass Pyrex ramekins of method dish soap and mr clean and warm distilled water. Rinse well in clean distilled water, then spray with one of the spray cleaners, and then another rinse of clean distilled water. Dry really well.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Despite the best of intentions (thank you to ame for making helpful suggestions in another thread as well) I am lazy and I have been cleaning my ring with dish soap, tap water and a toothbrush and using a microfiber cloth to dry. On a positive note since this is so easy and quick I am doing it almost every day so that's something. :bigsmile:

And my OEC seems happy with this routine. She is still looking as bright,chunky and beautiful as ever. :halo:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My favorite way to clean my rings is the US but I don't use it that often, maybe once or twice a month. I'm not all that stringent about keeping my rings clean, but I have a solitaire and at this point no pave or any melee that would attract much dirt/lint/etc.

1. spray some cleaning solution (whatever's handy, could be glass cleaner, could be Mr. Clean, who knows) in the tank
2. fill tank with hot tap water
3. insert ring and whatever other jewelry
4. turn on "high" setting and cycle once, twice if something's particularly dirty or I leave and forget my stuff is in there
5. rinse each piece in hot water
6. lay on clean paper towels and let dry for about a minute
7. wipe with dry paper towel

I never wiped my rings with alcohol! I didn't know that was a thing. I guess I feel like they're just going to get dirty again so I only do what I feel like taking the time to do.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I let my engagement ring soak in hot water and a mild dishwashing liquid. After it soaks a bit, I gently scrub the ring with a baby toothbrush before wiping it clean with a lint-free paper towel.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Blow some hot air on it, and wipe down with shirt.

LoveLikeCrazy

Brilliant_Rock
Put a coffee mug with a little dawn and water in the microwave for 1 1/2 mins. Toss the ring in the hot water and let it sit for 20-30 mins. Use baby toothbrush to scrub it down. Wipe with microfiber cloth. Then use jewel jet and wipe again with microfiber.

Intrigued by rubbing alcohol. Might have to add that into my routine!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I use alcohol wipes from Costco to clean my eye glasses and watches, so I guess it should work on diamonds too.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I should add that in a pinch I've used the Well-Kept wipes I use on my phone screen to wipe my rings down.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ame|1399986744|3671626 said:
I should add that in a pinch I've used the Well-Kept wipes I use on my phone screen to wipe my rings down.

I do this too, although I wipe my rings first, then the cell phone to decrease the amount of grease/oil/dirt transfer.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1399995291|3671720 said:
ame|1399986744|3671626 said:

I do this too, although I wipe my rings first, then the cell phone to decrease the amount of grease/oil/dirt transfer.
Lol I just use a fresh wipe on my rings. lol!

UrsTx

Brilliant_Rock
Take it to my jeweler (prob 2x a month) and then in between visits:

At home, preferred method every 3-4 days - soak in a gentle dish soap/hot faucet water mixture, brush with extra gentle toothbrush if needed, rinse with hot water, steam it with distilled water via my older version jewelry steam cleaner. Let air dry since steam evaporates quickly or dry with low lint paper towel.

At home, in a hurry method - hold ring under hottest faucet water temp as a quick soak, use a Diamond Dazzle stick. Dry it with a low lint paper towel.

I also run my alcohol eyeglass wipes over my stones whenever I clean my glasses.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As I wash out my coffee mug, I put some dw liquid on the rings. Rinse everything and dry with paper towels. My office uses brown recycled paper towels. Not sure if they're low lint. Couple times a month I put everything in jewelry cleaning solution and then scrub with a little brush.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results