shape
carat
color
clarity

Beautiful 5 carat diamond ring, but is Q colour a mistake?

Whitelodger

Rough_Rock
We recently bought a beautiful champagne coloured round cut 5.03 carat diamond, VVS2 clarity and Q on the colour scale.

My wife designed the split ring setting which was finished in white gold with 40 small diamonds adding sparkle to the arms.

Needless to say, we were delighted by the result!

During a recent visit to UK jeweller for an isurance valuation, my wife was told that Q was a "BAD" colour, which has got her wondering.
We wanted to park some retirement money somewhere I couldn't spend it, and decided her finger would be a good place.

She's worried that given the mass market prefence for clear diamonds, have we made a mistake for possible future resale???????

Any and all thoughts welcome........

_18030.jpg

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
Re: Beautiful 5 carat diamond ring, but is Q colour a mistak

Diamonds aren't a good investment if bought at retail.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

There's usually a buyer for everything; it just takes time. A 5 ct diamond in Q color will likely be a lot harder to sell than a 1 ct G color, but diamonds are never a reliable investment unless you bought it second hand for much less than retail. You won't be selling at retail, so you needed to buy it for far less than retail to have a chance of getting your money back out of it. I do think Q color will reduce the potential buyers, but Q color also reduces the price a lot and there are people out there who'd like a 5 ct diamond and don't care what color it is. I really think a 2 or 3 ct J color diamond would have been easier to sell and a safer investment if bought at a second hand price. Buying land/property would have been a more reliable investment as long as you chose the right location. I think it is a little sad to make her sell her ring after retirement, too.

Whitelodger

Rough_Rock

Thanks for that! No, hopefully she will never have to sell it and just enjoy the ring....agree with you buying retail would not be the wisest investment choice.....it was more about spoiling her at the time. Just want to know that the colour wasn't a big mistake. Like you say, there's a price for everything.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium

In any event, it looks beautiful. If you are ever inclined to post more pictures, that would be great. =)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

If this is the diamond she really wanted and loves, then it certainly is not a mistake. Let her heirs worry about selling it if they don't like a large, lower color diamond!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

There are no inherently bad colours!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

You'll get less reselling a Q, but then you paid less.
IMO, it's a wash.
The ratio of buyers willing to pay for a 5 ct D E or F vs. those willing to take a Q to get their 5 carats will probably remain stable over time.

Qs are not 'bad' and that jeweler was a jerk for saying that … (s)he probably just wanted you to fall out of love with your diamond so you'd buy one from him/her.
That's why I recommend only dealing with a professional independent appraiser who does not buy or sell jewelry, aka conflict of interest.
Here is a reference to help you find a reputable appraiser: https://www.pricescope.com/appraisers

Yes, higher color is more rare and perceived as more desirable by many and by the market but going down in color lets people get a larger diamond.

It would have been equally dumb for the pro to say a smaller diamond of higher color is 'bad'.
Every diamond is a compromise of many specs, and various combinations appeal to various people.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

It's a gorgeous ring! Just curious what reaction she gets in UK as I understand diamonds there are not as popular or as large?

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Whitelodger|1399902695|3670936 said:
We recently bought a beautiful champagne coloured round cut 5.03 carat diamond, VVS2 clarity and Q on the colour scale.

My wife designed the split ring setting which was finished in white gold with 40 small diamonds adding sparkle to the arms.

During a recent visit to UK jeweller for an isurance valuation, my wife was told that Q was a "BAD" colour, which has got her wondering.
We wanted to park some retirement money somewhere I couldn't spend it, and decided her finger would be a good place.

She's worried that given the mass market prefence for clear diamonds, have we made a mistake for possible future resale???????

_18030.jpg

This is such a problem. Jewelers are often their own worst enemies. A lady comes in, obviously happy with her ring, and because you have never been around "lower" colors you decide to denigrate her ring, oblivious to the damage that you are doing to her enjoyment of that ring.

Colors are neither good nor bad, they simply ARE. Some people prefer the stark colorless D colors, some people prefer the "lower" colors and far more people than realize it actually prefer a diamond with a hint of warmth such as a G-H-I color. I am always amazed when doing "blind taste tests" in which three to five diamonds are randomly placed on a slotted tray and nothing is said about any of the diamonds how often it is that a diamond in that G-H-I color range is often chosen as the favorite diamond in the tray over D-E colored diamonds. Many times from people who have told me they want to see nothing lower than an F and that they prefer a D-E.

Please tell your wife that she need not be wondering, other than for where to find a jeweler who is a real jeweler, not a sales clerk who does not understand much about diamonds.

Sorry if I sound a little cranky, I detest that people who know this little about diamonds can be allowed to sully your wife's experience with diamonds.

Wink

Fancygems

Brilliant_Rock

I love color in a diamond :love:

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

Personally, I wouldn't purchase a diamond of that color, but if you and your wife are happy with the ring, then that's all that matters :))

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

HI:

Seems to me you both are happy and got what you wanted. :appl: Don't let anyone rain on your parade!

cheers--Sharon

jimyhoff

Rough_Rock

I think it looks cool. I wouldn't guess it was a diamond though but rather some other gemstone.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

There is a limited market for stones that are that colour it is true, having said that there is still a market for diamonds over 5 carats!!!! The only people that have to love it are you and your wife, she obviously loves it so really that is all that matters. I wear a L coloured old cut that is 5.34 carats. I don't care what anyone else thinks, I like it and that is all that counts!!!!

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Diamonds is not a good investment. Rather it is for enjoyment. Since your wife likes it, then it is an appealing color to her. I see no bad in it. Don't let the SA sully your appreciation of the diamond.

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

Whitelodger|1399902695|3670936 said:

_18030.jpg

Some people love icy white diamonds, while others appreciate the buttery warmth of diamonds "lower" than an a J color. I happen to be one of them. While I would never personally recommend purchasing a diamond as an investment, I will tell you that I believe the greatest value of diamonds is the joy they bring to the wearer. If your wife loves the diamond, and she's happy with it, don't let what one jeweler said ruin the enjoyment. It's a beautiful stone, and she should wear it with pride.

Whitelodger

Rough_Rock

Thank you all for your comments, much appreciated. I have reiterated to my wife that it's not an investment, it's a beautiful piece of jewellery for her to enjoy and that's that. Don't stress about resale, that's something ( as someone pointed out ), a nice problem for our kids!

SB621

Ideal_Rock

Asking preference of color on diamonds is like asking color of preference on cars. Everyone will answer it differently.

I own diamonds that are F, J, I, M, O/P and Q/R on the GIA color scale. I love them all for difference reasons. All that matters is your wife likes the ring....and don't go back to that jeweler.

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I would love to see more photos, in various lighting conditions! We bought a 5.01ct L diamond. It was not for investment, but for enjoyment, and I really do enjoy it. I look at it a million times a day. :)

lioness

Brilliant_Rock

I think it's stunning.

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock

arkieb1|1399945569|3671423 said:
There is a limited market for stones that are that colour it is true, having said that there is still a market for diamonds over 5 carats!!!! The only people that have to love it are you and your wife, she obviously loves it so really that is all that matters. I wear a L coloured old cut that is 5.34 carats. I don't care what anyone else thinks, I like it and that is all that counts!!!!

Totally agree. It's a lovely diamond and a lovely ring. I also have a large L and I luff her with all my heart. Lower colours really speak to me. I love their buttery warmth!

My thought is that diamonds are like shoes. Some people like Miu Miu, some like Louboutin, some like Target. Everyone is different. And that's perfectly fine! The most important thing about a diamond is that YOU like it.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

What a stunning ring and diamond!! I hope you will post more pics.
I have 5.3 ct OEC in U-V color and I love love love the vintage vibe of my diamond and the antique lace color. Before this I had a very white modern princess. I fell in love with the OEC and never looked back.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results