shape
carat
color
clarity

Ideas for re-setting a cushion cut garnet

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
hi! Need some advice!

I have a pretty large cushion cut garnet. I think this is the proper term for it - it is rectangular but with cut off corners (so 8 sided), and has a neat checkerboard pattern on top. It is currently set in a large yellow gold setting. It was a gift from my grandparents, who are precious to me and who are still living, but I don''t see them very often since I live far away. I got the ring as a gift for my 21st birthday. My 27th is fast approaching and I realized that I almost never wear the ring, because 1) The setting is really big and too gaudy for me and 2) My wedding set is platinum so I almost never wear yellow gold, especially in a ring. I really do like the stone, though. I will post a picture soon!

Do you think it is in poor taste to re-set the garnet since it was an important occasion gift? I hate to take away with the sentiment involved, but wouldn''t it be better to have it in a ring I would actually enjoy wearing? I am afraid my grandparents would be upset if I asked them, but if I did it, they would probably never know.

My husband suggested we re-set it for my 27th birthday. If I did change the setting, what do you guys thing would look good? In general I like contemporary styles in white metals. I was thinking about a half bezel setting with the garnet set east-west. I had also thought of something two toned, or with twisted bands of metal a la David Yurman. Also, do you think silver would be a good metal to set the diamond? My husband suggested white gold, and normally I would agree, but I thought silver would be a budget friendly way to go, and also would not turn yellow like white gold does. I had also heard that silver prongs do not bend and hold the stone better than gold, not sure if this is true. I''d love to get platinum but it seems so pricey right now, and also might be worth more than the gemstone is.

I would love to see pictures if you can think of anything similar.

Can anyone suggest manufacturers/brands I should look at? I''ve only ordered through Stuller. I have a good B&M I like locally, but am also open to internet companies.

Can''t wait for your suggestions!
Gail

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results