shape
carat
color
clarity

Pearl Quiz:

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
Here's a Friday night quiz to test diehard PriceScope Pearl Forum Peeps:

Can you tell me who owned these pearls before me (I just received them today)? Can you tell me what they were nicknamed?!

quiz_1.jpg

quiz_2.jpg

quiz_3__2_.jpg

quiz_4.jpg

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kasumi-like white ripples from POJ?

Can't remember who owned them first though.

DK :))

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I'm going to go with mrs taylor's onions from Catherine Cardellini.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/ripple-pearls-glamour-shots-vs-real-life-for-icy-jade.191211/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/ripple-pearls-glamour-shots-vs-real-life-for-icy-jade.191211/[/URL]

I think I see the pearl that is front and center in the vendor photo second to the left of center in your strand. And, there are certainly the distinctive spacers that she likes to use. As for the pearly color, how about a day light neck shot of your new beauty?

image-5_zps1ffec775.jpg

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
Ding ding ding! We have a winner!!! Well done! Mrs. Taylor's "onions" have joined my ripple family.

Of course, you'll get day shots -- they had just arrived so you got the first shots available.

My first impression is that they are a cream color with pastel overtones -- I see lilacs, pinks, golds even blues. They are similar to, but lighter than, my "golden figs". More pictures later...

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bummer, I did not see the clasp, otherwise I would have guessed a different vendor, as it is not one of POJ's!

Well done to the winner.

DK :))

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
dk -- good and brave first attempt! Being first takes some courage. FlyGirl is a pearl detective and photo expert. She has nifty pearl sleuth abilities she's used in the past.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Well, thank you, bsomlo. I'm not really a photo expert, but I do recognize that pearls are unique, especially these ripple strands.

I didn't really think about why she called them onions until now, but I'm guessing they are similar to the shape and color of the yellow onion sets shown on the right.

onion_sets.jpg

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
Fly Girl -- I'm just starting to get to know them. You know how that goes. To my eye, they are more blush champagne and quite silvery. I see a lot of pinks and lilacs. I may have to rename them! I'm wearing a solid red nightgown which is reflected in the pearls:

Next to my PP white ripples:

Neck shots later (the nightgown neck shot I just attempted should not live on in posterity.)

onions_1.jpg

onions_2.jpg

onions_3.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Very pretty delicate blush colors. Thanks for the photos. dk168 is correct that the clasp instantly gives them away as CCs.

It looks to me like the spacers are starting to discolor already. Personally, I have always shied away from her strands with spacers because I suspected this could happen. I would have them restrung, perhaps with Pattye's Beaders Secret, and leave out the spacers. (I realize that this is free, unasked for advice and you, of course, are free to ignore it. :wink2: )

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
I just took a good look. The spacers leave black "gunk" on the end of the pearls where they touch them. I see it on my golden figs, too. It's a pity because I like the delicate look and the movement with those tiny spacers. This deposit wipes off easily and completely. I'll have to think about how to proceed... I wonder if I could wash them with a delicate toothbrush since they are strung on powerpro... anyone with experience washing CC pearls feel free to jump in! I know she's said they are washable.

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
Here they are today with a melon colored dress. I think they're quite silvery rather than gold:

onions_with_melon_1.jpg

onions_with_melon_2.jpg

onions_with_melon_3.jpg

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
oh they look LOVELY on you!

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
They are SO pretty! And that longer length will be great with the neckline of my dresses.

Thank you so much, Mrs. Taylor. They will be loved.

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
I know they will!

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
I wanted to follow-up regarding the black deposit on the pearls touching the beads.

I emailed Catherine directly about how to clean them and she responded promptly, as she always does! (Thanks, Cathy!)

She recomended putting the necklace in a knee sock with some baby shampoo, letting it soak in the sink, and then rubbing them in the sock, or using a children's soft toothbrush.

I didn't have any baby shampoo or patience, so I did the following just now.

I put the necklace in a sink of water and rubbed the blackened drill hole of each pearl with a soft children's toothbrush. I did use a drop of No Poo (Any curly girls out there? It's non-detergent, non lathering "shampoo" for curly hair specifically -- super gentle) and I repeated the process of rubbing away the black gunk at the drill holes. It came off easily and the toothbrush bristles got black during the process. I loved being able to gently brush inside the holes with the bristles. It was fun, relaxing and easy. The powerpro remains stained with black. The gold beads themselves have not discolored or chipped at all. They just have something inside them that is leaving a black residue on the edges of the drill holes and the powerpro.

I LOVE that I can submerge and really wash these pearls! Here they are sitting on the windowsill drying:

cc_onions_post_washing_2.jpg

cc_onions_post_washing_1.jpg

cc_onions_post_washing_3.jpg

cc_onions_post_washing_4.jpg

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
If it was me I'd remove the gold fill beads and replace them with karated gold beads. Some gold fill is only coated on one side. If this is what is occurring, the black is from tarnish on the brass inside the bead.

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
Yes, I bet it is tarnish! Around how much are the beads you recommend, ballpark? If I remember correctly, you also restring your own pearls. That's a nut I haven't cracked...

periwinklegirl

Brilliant_Rock
bsomlo|1399225509|3666073 said:
I wanted to follow-up regarding the black deposit on the pearls touching the beads.

I emailed Catherine directly about how to clean them and she responded promptly, as she always does! (Thanks, Cathy!)

She recomended putting the necklace in a knee sock with some baby shampoo, letting it soak in the sink, and then rubbing them in the sock, or using a children's soft toothbrush.

I didn't have any baby shampoo or patience, so I did the following just now.

I put the necklace in a sink of water and rubbed the blackened drill hole of each pearl with a soft children's toothbrush. I did use a drop of No Poo (Any curly girls out there? It's non-detergent, non lathering "shampoo" for curly hair specifically -- super gentle) and I repeated the process of rubbing away the black gunk at the drill holes. It came off easily and the toothbrush bristles got black during the process. I loved being able to gently brush inside the holes with the bristles. It was fun, relaxing and easy. The powerpro remains stained with black. The gold beads themselves have not discolored or chipped at all. They just have something inside them that is leaving a black residue on the edges of the drill holes and the powerpro.

I LOVE that I can submerge and really wash these pearls! Here they are sitting on the windowsill drying:

Thanks for sharing this B. I have some tarnish on some of my pearls that have silver plated cups and spacers (from an early project). I now know to use real spacers, but haven't redone everything yet (too many projects to finish). Gentle soap and water and a toothbrush sounds easy enough.

I get my gold and silver spacers from my local jeweler, she sells them to me by the gram. The silver ones are rhodium plated so they won't turn the pearls black. They're not expensive. I'm sure the gold ones are, but I only have a few and can't remember the price range.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
I use 14k. I either buy them on eBay or RioGrande. I did buy argentium silver beads but they still tarnish. They were stored in Pacific Silver Cloth bags too. Now I just buy white gold.

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the tips, NacreLover and periwinklegirl! At some point I'll have these and the figs restrung with 14K gold spacers. For now, I'll enjoy them as is.

Here are post wash neck and ear shots:

cc_post_wash_neck_shot.jpg

cc_post_wash_neck_ear_0.jpg

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Bsomlo, You will have to price compare when shopping. Not all 3mm gold beads will cost the same. You will also see some sell thin wall , some thick wall. Only purchase thick wall 14k beads. The thin will dent or totally collapse while you are wearing or even stringing them, then they are toast. I on occasion have purchased jewelry to harvest parts from. If you wait and watch you can snag great deals.

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
They look lovely and so fresh for spring and summer! I especially like them with your coral dress :appl: :appl: :appl: Now you can confidently wear these through the hot summer and give them a gentle wash when needed. Congrats and enjoy!

pkinnew

Brilliant_Rock
bsomlo - It's great hearing that such beautiful pearls can get re-homed! They look great no matter what the outfit!

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
How funny! They NEVER looked silver on me, but you can clearly see they do turn that way on you. But you ALSO get gold dust. It's amazing what chameleons they can be.

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I think there must be something to the quality of the rolled gold beads as well. I've got some, American made, that have been used for years and never left any tarnish and others that I threw out as they started to tarnish after a year in the sealed bag. However, as the quality and price of my pearls increased I moved to 14Kt gold as well... some 10kt. And I certainly agree with using the heavier bead, better safe than sorry. And really, when you use the small beads the cost isn't that bad.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results