shape
carat
color
clarity

Damaged star sapphire?

sharron

Rough_Rock
Hope someone in the know can help me. Just received my handmade engagement ring but noticed a chip in it. Sent photo to jeweller but at the moment they're saying it could be a natural flaw. We didn't see a chip in it when we picked the stone. They want us to send it back to UK to look at it...the photos have been magnified but you can certainly see it with the naked eye, that's how we noticed it. Anyone with any experience in damage to stones please?

img_4558.jpg

RSargent

Shiny_Rock
Stars can have flaws like this naturally, but I would think you would have noticed it right away. I often photograph my stones before having them set, because this sort of thing can be he said/she said and you are on the losing end here unless you can prove anything.
The damage could also have been done while the stone was out of your home -- shipping or during the setting work -- and your jeweler maybe didn't even notice it.
Look at the flaw with a loupe. An existing flaw has soft edges. A recent knock would likely show sharper edges.
I hope this helps. It's your engagement ring so I know you want it to be perfect. Once a stone is chipped it can never be perfect again...:(

sharron

Rough_Rock
Thank you very much for your reply. Yes the edges look more on the sharp side plus there are 2 little scratches next to it. They are trying to say that due to being a natural stone etc it will have flaws but they also said wouldn't send a ring with a chip in it...shall wait and see what they say when they get it back.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The fact that is has scratches on either side of the "chip" would make me quite suspect that something caused it and its not a natural flaw.

sharron

Rough_Rock
Yes, exactly what we thought.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results