shape
carat
color
clarity

Burmese Ruby CAD Design Request

JewelPhenom

Rough_Rock
Removed my 8x6 mm Burmese Ruby from a setting it had been in forever, polished it, and I am now in the process of designing a bezeled setting for it; something that will offer more protection than the previous setting.
The ring will be a RHR, low height stacker, semi bezel, 18k yellow gold.

The setting will be created from a CAD design and then finished by hand.
The pave diamonds and rubies shown on the CAD are to be handcrafted into U cuts.
Band width for each is 2 mm, the rubies and diamonds approximately 1.5 mm.
Open basket on two sides; the other sides will have peekaboo rubies or diamonds, and with some type of scroll work design handcrafted on the gallery.

Advice, creative ideas and comments are requested.

rring.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Spectacular design! It's so unique & pretty, I could look at it all day. My only suggestion would be to think about making the partial bezel a little thinner -- it overpowers the ruby a little & is a little heavy for such a delicate ring. Jmho, of course. I can't wait to see the real thing!

--- Laurie

psproot12

Shiny_Rock
JewelFreak|1399246600|3666264 said:
Spectacular design! It's so unique & pretty, I could look at it all day. My only suggestion would be to think about making the partial bezel a little thinner -- it overpowers the ruby a little & is a little heavy for such a delicate ring. Jmho, of course. I can't wait to see the real thing!

--- Laurie

Agreed

sonyachancs

Shiny_Rock
JewelFreak said:

--- Laurie

a +1 on that thinner bezel too!

it might also be cool if there were four parts to the partial bezel, almost like betals - one on each 'corner'?

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
LOL, not me: I'd widen those bands and then I'd think about narrowing that bezel.

very lovely design! can't wait to see it "on finger"!

JewelPhenom

Rough_Rock
Yes, I agree about the bezel; it looks thick and will check on it. Great idea to make betals (perfect description) and will ask what that might do to the design. I may have overemphasized protecting the ruby when discussing it with my designer; was very fortunate the ruby did not break in the old setting; the baguette diamond next to it did.

What do you think of the open basket on two sides? Should it be enclosed?

For those that have stackers; how wide is your band? Is 2mm too thin? The plan is to wear 3 or 4 stackers together.

Once the hand fabrication is finished, the gems will be set in a U shaped prongs. Similar to this one in diamonds, but in thinking about it, perhaps there should be more diamonds/rubies and less metal, like in this WF tourmaline eternity design.

uring.jpg

uprongwf.jpg

Wesopotamia

Rough_Rock
Trade
OMG!It's soooooooooooo gorgeous!!!!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love your ring design and think it is going to be fabulous! I have my 2 cents but feel free to pick and choose my suggestions because it might not jive with your vision.

1. I would lower the ruby as low as possible while still allowing the band to be flush against the e-ring. It looks like you still have room. As it is, the ring looks top heavy and the ruby "sticks out" and is more likely to spin and catch on clothes/things.

2. The bezel is also not integrated into the shank; my preference is to make it look seamless but I don't if know if it is possible whilst still allowing your band to be flush fit.

3. Thin out the bezel.

4. The other stones are gypsy set into the band. They do not look like U cut pave.

ETA
Just saw that you are going with U prong baskets, which look gorgeous and open. My only concern is the rubies are not going to hold up well over time, rubbing against the diamonds next to them.

_17709.jpg

_17710.jpg

charmypoo-leon-handshot2.jpg

JewelPhenom

Rough_Rock
Your comments are very helpful, thank you; they serve to create a more beautiful ring.
I have passed along these comments and expect to hear back shortly on at least of few of the design issues.

My jewelry designer (JD) explained the CAD designer/ ring maker (RM), will be doing much of this finish work by hand, such as creating the U-shaped prongs. Even my JD, though, mentioned the thickness of the bezel and that it should appear more trimmed and delicate on the CAD.

The comment about the ring lacking integration between the head and shank was an, "Oh, got it, that is what is wrong" moment. I had stared and stared at it, drawing a blank at what looked off. Once it was mentioned there was no seamless integration, it was obvious. That is why it is so nice to have others opine; to question those design issues that otherwise might be overlooked.

Will update when I hear back or have more questions. Thank you again.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for sharing your project with us here on PS. I love to see and read about other posters' project experiences.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results