shape
carat
color
clarity

Could I please have some help picking out pearl earrings

16ocean

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all-
I got some great help on picking out a great pair of pearl earrings for my 39th b-day a while back and I am in the market for some more pearl studs.

This time they will be a gift for my goddaughter's first communion. I am hoping she can wear the pearl studs till in to her 20's.
So size wise I am looking at 7.5-8

Even though I have read previous threads I still a bit uncertain. I don't know what type of pearl would be best.
What is the community's recommendation?

White Akoya Saltwater Pearl Earrings
Metallic Freshadamas
or
White Freshadamas

Thank you in advance for your expertise.

kylier

Shiny_Rock
Metallics are nice but they are more like ball bearing shine, not the usual pearl glow you think of. Akoyas have a nice mirror luster but the nacre will be thin and will wear down over time if worn too often. I was helping my brother pick pearl earrings for his girlfriend that just graduated college and we got her the Freshadamas because they are white and round and classic and unlike the Akoya they are full nacre and unlike the metallic they have that soft glow. Don't get me wrong i love my metallics pearls, but for a pearl newbie I think the Freshadamas are a safer bet.
He loves them and they look amazing on her and she is wearing them every time I see her. She's super stylish as well but they go with everything.
Hope that helps! Classic pearl earrings of any type are a wonderful present she will treasure forever.
P.s. she is 22 and the 8.5-9 look good on her, so I thinking you are picking the perfect size at 7.5-8. Really versatile.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
I would select Freshadama. They will be much easier to match a necklace to in the future. Metallics are my personal favorite but unless you buying them together and here, matching them later may be a problem if PP stops carrying them. I didn't wear my strand much until I got the coordinating earrings. Regular freshwaters or akoya don't look like metallics.

pkinnew

Brilliant_Rock
16ocean - Welcome! I personally prefer Akoyas for stud earrings. The luster is gorgeous and classy and being earrings they should last a long time. Let us know what you decide!

16ocean

Brilliant_Rock
kylier, NacreLover, pkinnew-
Thanks for the welcome and your opinions.

Decided to go with the Freshadama from PP for her earrings. Their website wasn't working exactly right this afternoon but I called them up and the woman I spoke to was very helpful.
:)

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I too would have opted for Freshadamas, or metallic Freshies.

DK :))

kylier

Shiny_Rock
Good to hear! They will be lovely! After posting I remembered how much I like my SIL earrings and bought some Freshadama earrings for myself. I got quick shipping so I'll post pics when they come so you can see.

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
16ocean|1398916683|3664111 said:
kylier, NacreLover, pkinnew-
Thanks for the welcome and your opinions.

Decided to go with the Freshadama from PP for her earrings. Their website wasn't working exactly right this afternoon but I called them up and the woman I spoke to was very helpful.
:)

Great choice!

16ocean

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks LitGeek.
They shipped out tdy :appl:
So I will post photos when the earrings arrive.

This form is such a great place to learn abt jewelry!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results