shape
carat
color
clarity

My ruby pendant shopping exerience (with pictures!)

Andahaion

Rough_Rock
Good day! Thought I'd join, say hello, and share my recent precious gemstone shopping experience. I don't have a large knowledge base of any of these baubles, but I certainly love how they sparkle. I'm more of a hobbyist when it comes to jewelry, but since I'm spending more these days it pays to do a little due diligence. I also encourage anyone looking to buy to research and ask lots of questions. Tangentially, thank you to Pricescope. I read more than my fair share of threads relating to diamond shopping when I was going through that process. And this post is me giving back, for what that is worth.

But now I'm married and thought that this holiday season should see the first ruby purchase for my new bride. I'll first say that I found it a touch more difficult than engagement ring (diamond) shopping. I felt that the guidelines/advice/rules were more straightforward and clear with diamonds than with rubies. I initially also had a few misconceptions about rubies; primarily that they were considerably cheaper than diamonds, and that I could walk into a jewelry store here in the DC area and have a wide selection to pick from. Fast forward to the end of my story and you can see from the pictures I ended up with (what I consider beautiful) ruby and diamond pendant. The design is from Simon G and it was sold to me at Charleston Alexander, a local store here where I live.

When I began to read about rubies, I was introduced to the concept of heat-enhancing. This was very confusing to me, because on the surface "heat-enhancing" or just the word "enhancing" brings about images of "lab-created" or otherwise altered, and therefore bordering on "fake" or "non-genuine" stones. No offense meant to those who like lab-created stones, that's just not what I was after. It took me a lot of reading and thought to accept the concept of heat-enhancing. Also, unless I wanted to shill out tens of thousands of dollars for a real, untouched, stone I was pretty much left with only heat-enhanced options. So, my recommendation would be to read a lot about that process, ask the jewelers questions when shopping, and just be careful. Due some homework.

Next was the short supply. I went into perhaps 5-7 different (what I would call high end) stores and was surprised that each of them only had maybe 2-3 ruby pendants. And, they were all pretty similar in style. That was a little discouraging. Although, they nearly all said that they could have something made to my specs, or change out this sapphire for a ruby, etc. I did shop online a bit, but I'm not one to buy from online vendors (that's just me). I like the personal interaction and the chase!

I will say that my experience at Charleston Alexander was great. On my first visit, they actually told me to come back the following weekend for a showcase with some of their partners and there would be more selection. That's how I found my piece, and got it at 20% less.

So, there you have it. The necklace sits in its hiding place waiting for Santa. Happy holidays!

ruby.jpg
ruby_2.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Welcome!

Very pretty! She's going to love it. You're a treasure to do all that legwork (though it is a heck of a lot of fun). You're in the right place, too; PS is aimed at, I guess you can call us, hobbyists -- consumers, anyway. Addicts is often a better description. Since you didn't mention it, I assume the ruby comes without a lab report on treatment. It's often helpful to have one -- I'd say more important for a ring stone because it is subject to more stresses than the pendant.

Plenty of help here if you decide to buy something else in the future -- lucky wife, by the way! You can have personal contact with vendors -- they're available by phone, and most of the ones used by people here are very helpful & great to deal with. Their prices don't include expenses for a store, advertising, etc., so are better than brick-&-mortar prices as a rule. Often the choices are better too.

Anyway, beautiful pendant -- I envy her on Christmas morning! Too easy to imagine how thrilled she'll be. Congratulations!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Wow, that is really pretty and unique. Please come back with neck shots!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It certainly looks lovely and I hope she loves it. It is always gratifying to hear when someone has done their homework and understands the difference between simple heat treatment and more invasive treatments such as high heat with light elements and/or lead glass filling. :))

Bex

Shiny_Rock
What a beautiful setting! And a lovely stone. Well done!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for sharing your ruby shopping experience with us. As you've discovered, the rules and caution when it comes to coloured gemstones are endless. We, too, are hobbyist, just more vocal about it here on PS. :cheeky: Sadly, an untreated ruby of good colouration is outside the realm of our budgets so many of us open our options to include heated rubies. Then one has to decide what level of heat is acceptable / not acceptable (level of flux healing, diffusion, lead glass filling, etc). It is definitely exhaustive! Congrats on a lovely ruby sapphire for the missus.

Andahaion

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for the kind responses. Yes, the legwork is the most fun. Whenever I purchase something I'm always in a rush to go out and find the next piece. Jewelry shopping is near as fun as new car shopping...but then again I suppose big purchases in general are fun to make.

I do have a report/certificate and guarantee that the stone hasn't been treated other than with heat and I couldn't be happier. Style-wise, it's actually a bit different that what she usually likes. Most of the pieces have been not as ornate. She usually likes simple pendants and solitaires. But variety is the spice of life, yes? She has large jewelry chests for me to fill and it'd be nice if they all didn't look alike. I'm sure she'll love it regardless, as there is still an elegance about it.

Anyway, thanks again and happy holidays.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice pendant, and I am sure your wife would love it! :love:

If money is no object, I too would go for untreated stones. However, that is not the case, so I would buy what I can afford.

I have a big checkerboard heart cut Chatham ruby amongst my small ruby collection, as it is big (it is going to be a pendant), the right colour being raspberry, and affordable. I know it is not "real" however, I love it, and that's what matters.

DK :))

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Andahaion|1386946528|3573581 said:
Thank you all for the kind responses. Yes, the legwork is the most fun. Whenever I purchase something I'm always in a rush to go out and find the next piece. Jewelry shopping is near as fun as new car shopping...but then again I suppose big purchases in general are fun to make.

I do have a report/certificate and guarantee that the stone hasn't been treated other than with heat and I couldn't be happier. Style-wise, it's actually a bit different that what she usually likes. Most of the pieces have been not as ornate. She usually likes simple pendants and solitaires. But variety is the spice of life, yes? She has large jewelry chests for me to fill and it'd be nice if they all didn't look alike. I'm sure she'll love it regardless, as there is still an elegance about it.

Anyway, thanks again and happy holidays.

A guarantee is fine, but as you know from your research, for it to be credible (i.e., bankable), the report must be from one of the labs with proper testing equipment. These labs would be GIA, AGL (here in the US), SSEF, GRS, and Gubelin (in Europe), and AIGS, and GIA (in Asia). There are likely others that I've overlooked but this is a good start to the list. If the report is not from one of these labs, then there is really no way the seller can say for sure whether or not it has been diffused. In which case, one would get it tested by one of the listed labs to make sure its entirely as stated. If not, one could always make good on their guarantee, as I'm sure a reputable place like the establishment you bought from will definitely honor their guarantee. :))

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Andahaion said:
She has large jewelry chests for me to fill

Oh gosh, would you like to adopt me? I'm housetrained & I don't bark at night.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1386974420|3573883 said:
Andahaion said:

Wow you seem like your a B&M retailers dream.......

Andahaion

Rough_Rock
heididdl|1388776883|3585653 said:
JewelFreak|1386974420|3573883 said:
Andahaion said:

Wow you seem like your a B&M retailers dream.......

Not sure why you had to clarify "B&M retailers". I could just as easily be an online retailer's dream. There are pros and cons to each when discussing online vs. retail stores. I understand the tendencies of the people on this site, so I don't really want to make this a "which is better" argument. But I will say this...I spend a lot of money at different stores and like to be treated accordingly. For instance, I like being greeted by name, invited to special (local) events, having an in-person relationship, etc. Many online folks simply cannot do much aside from sending me more emails in my opinion. To each their own, yes?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results