shape
carat
color
clarity

Scuba diving with gems

annemquaid

Rough_Rock
Hi, I'm a scuba diver about to take off on a diving holiday. I dive regularly with my diamond ring (prefer to have it on my finger where I can see it, than in the room!) but I just inherited a diamond and emerald ring and want to know if the emerald will be OK with sea water and with the pressure at depth - I know emeralds are much softer than diamonds and don't want to crack it.

I am staying in places without safety deposit boxes in the room and do not want to risk loosing it, but not sure if diving with it will be safe either. The only alternative would be to leave it at home in the safe.

Can anyone help please?

GoldfishPie

Rough_Rock
annemquaid|1398899072|3663911 said:
The only alternative would be to leave it at home in the safe.

Sounds like a great plan! :)

catseye2000

Rough_Rock
Hi ! I'm new to posting here but I have read PS for several years. I wear my fine jewelry because I love it and when I'm home, I load up! I also want to take care of it and keep what I have in good condition. When I go on vacation, I have purchased what I refer to as my "costume jewelry". I wear a CZ replacement for my wedding set and I have a few fun blue topaz, amethyst and coral set in sterling silver that I will wear too. My real goodies I keep in the safe at home.
I guess I'm nervous... I have just heard too many stories of jewelry being forgotten in hotel rooms, cars being broken into or people being mugged while out of town.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
catseye2000|1398904285|3663973 said:
Hi ! I'm new to posting here but I have read PS for several years. I wear my fine jewelry because I love it and when I'm home, I load up! I also want to take care of it and keep what I have in good condition. When I go on vacation, I have purchased what I refer to as my "costume jewelry". I wear a CZ replacement for my wedding set and I have a few fun blue topaz, amethyst and coral set in sterling silver that I will wear too. My real goodies I keep in the safe at home.
I guess I'm nervous... I have just heard too many stories of jewelry being forgotten in hotel rooms, cars being broken into or people being mugged while out of town.
I really don't have an answer

slksapphire

Shiny_Rock
pls ask the mods to move this to the colored stones forum, where the emerald experts can weigh in.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think leaving it at home in the safe would be a better option, diamonds are much more hardy than emeralds, and I wouldn't subject a good quality emerald to something like that. If you bump your hand a lot or subject your diamond ring to a lot of activity, diamonds can also crack and chip (being smacked against a oxygen tank or the side of a boat for example) and you should probably have your diamond ring checked by a jeweller regularly that nothing is loose and likely to fall out if you insist on wearing it diving.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm shocked that you say you're a scuba diver but that no one has ever cautioned you NOT to wear jewelry while diving. I dived for years...it was an absolute NO.

If you must wear your pretty, get on a pair of dive gloves. You won't be able to see your pretty, but neither will the barracuda that is drifting behind you.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I definitely would leave my jewelry in a safety deposit box while I'm on vacation. I wouldn't chance an emerald especially, but even with a diamond, prongs can get loose, knocked, etc. . .

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another no from me. I would not risk any jewelry, but definitely not an emerald. You have such a great option in leaving it locked up at home - I would not second guess that one. :))

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Ditto. Emeralds can be tricky. I wouldn't subject them to any stress if I wanted to preserve them in good condition, including that of thieves.

PaulaW

Brilliant_Rock
+1 for leaving it at home in the safe. I never wear any jewelry while diving. I had a dive watch that had highly polished stainless on the band that attracted barracuda who got too close on a couple of occasions. I like my fingers so I leave sparklies to the fishermen and their lures!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One whack against the diving equipment, boat, surroundings (coral, rock, etc) and it's goodbye emerald. Are you willing to accept that risk?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results