shape
carat
color
clarity

Hmm… Ebay preloved "spinel" ring

PaulaW

Brilliant_Rock
You lovely folks are way, way better sleuths than I but something just isn't right about this to me. I could be way off base being so skeptical and if I am, hopefully one of you will snap this up. Either way, thought you'd find it interesting.
Here's a conversation I had with the vendor, who was very nice. I threw some questions at him to feel him out, which further fueled my skepticism:
Do you have any documentation on the center stone? Is it natural? Has it been heated?

"Thank you for looking over our EBAY inventory, 960 items and new items added every day. The blue spinel is natural, it comes in pink and blue. It is a gorgeous gemstone very clear with vibrant color. I personally like the color because it is superior to a Ceylon sapphire color. The Ceylon sapphire is a fantastic gemstone, the best sapphire in a very light blue. But this stone jumps out at ya. I purchase all my rings from reputable suppliers who I have been dealing with for thirty years. Sorry, I do not have any documentation on the stone. I usually require that only on diamonds, sorry!"

Thank you very much for your reply. The stone in the ring you are offering is very pretty and I am a big fan of spinels. Just out of pure curiosity, could you explain how you know the stone is indeed a spinel and that it is natural? I realize you trust your suppliers and I respect that. Perhaps you can ask them if they have tested the stone? Thank you again, I appreciate your time.

"I have owned this ring for awhile, the diamonds are real natural diamonds, easy to check and confirm. I am sorry I can't be more helpful to you."

Here's the link to the listing:
Genuine Ten Karat (10K) Yellow Gold Natural Blue Spinel & Diamond Ring
http://www.ebay.com/itm/321303207001?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

He does have a 14-day return policy, which is nice. What do you guys think? Am I off base?

_t2ec16d___se9swm_vstbrolrcyqs___60_57.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
It's an awfully deep strong blue for a spinel. I'd be fairly suspicious too since he/she can't give you any documentation on it. Not even how he's sure it's a spinel, except his vendor said so. For that price, I'd want better info or a sale contingent on AGL results. The 10k gold kind of stopped me at first too; I wouldn't put a whopping blue spinel in 10k, but maybe I'm a gold snob. Are you thinking of buying it?

--- Laurie

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's got to be synthetic. It looks like a typical synthetic spinel.

PaulaW

Brilliant_Rock
Laurie, my spidey senses are tingling too much to spend the money. I'm full of self doubt as I know just barely enough to be dangerous so I thought it best to confirm with PS.
TL, that makes total sense to me. It's too intense, right?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
TL|1398893991|3663834 said:
It's got to be synthetic. It looks like a typical synthetic spinel.
Yup. And it's not even a well made ring. The stone is all crooked in it. It's pretty, but not worth that price IMHO, since it's very likely to be manufactured.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JewelFreak|1398893712|3663829 said:
It's an awfully deep strong blue for a spinel. I'd be fairly suspicious too since he/she can't give you any documentation on it. Not even how he's sure it's a spinel, except his vendor said so. For that price, I'd want better info or a sale contingent on AGL results. The 10k gold kind of stopped me at first too; I wouldn't put a whopping blue spinel in 10k, but maybe I'm a gold snob. Are you thinking of buying it?

--- Laurie

Yeah that setting being in 10k is a big red flag

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it would be rare to find such a vibrant blue spinel, and have that stone be set in 10K gold. Have you run the seller's name through Toolhaus (which will show you the sellers ebay negative and neutral feedback) to see of any issues?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results