shape
carat
color
clarity

Afterbirth

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For anyone who has had children, did you do anything out of the ordinary with your placenta?

I've hear people bury it, turn it into pills, cook it.... I didnt do any of these things but for people who did, what did you think of it?

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine went into the bio-waste at the hospital. I'm a vegetarian, I sure as hell wasn't going to eat it.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
When we lived in Japan most of the women bury it afterwards. Some will eat it as it is packed full of nutrition if they are breast feeding or recovering from a c-section. I was told all this before I went in as a warning so I wouldn't be confused when they asked me if "I wanted it to go" :knockout:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
monarch64|1398801984|3662949 said:
Mine went into the bio-waste at the hospital. I'm a vegetarian, I sure as hell wasn't going to eat it.

Haha I am too! But I never looked at it that way, as I didn't kill anything.

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Dear God, please make me a bird, so I can fly, far far away...Dear God, please make me a bird, so I can fly, far far away...

Wishing I had not clicked on this thread. :-o

amc80

Ideal_Rock
No...just, no....

I refused to even look at it. DH caught a glance by accident and wishes he hadn't. There was a couple in my birth class that were planning on encapsulating it. I'm not sure if they were doing it themselves or paying to have it done.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
amc80|1398802639|3662960 said:
No...just, no....

I refused to even look at it. DH caught a glance by accident and wishes he hadn't. There was a couple in my birth class that were planning on encapsulating it. I'm not sure if they were doing it themselves or paying to have it done.

Hahaha! I saw mine accidentally, too. It was pretty gross, and when I think about it now I flash back to my childhood and seeing a cow's afterbirth in one of our barn stalls one evening after a calf was born. When you grow up on a farm you get an education about this stuff firsthand and EARLY! :lol:

SB621

Ideal_Rock
No...just, no....

Really? I totally asked to see it. When they were cleaning up my DS, the doctor came over and showed it to me. It was so much bigger then I thought. I pulled my husband over too so he could look at it. :o I didn't think it was weird at ala, if anything I was totally amazed as this was what kept my child alive for the last 9 months. Still wouldn't want to eat it but it was neat to see it up close. I have recommended it to my friends that gave birth after me to see it as well.

Wow now I feel like some crazy person :knockout: ;)) :o :bigsmile:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SB621|1398803018|3662966 said:
No...just, no....

Really? I totally asked to see it. When they were cleaning up my DS, the doctor came over and showed it to me. It was so much bigger then I thought. I pulled my husband over too so he could look at it. :o I didn't think it was weird at ala, if anything I was totally amazed as this was what kept my child alive for the last 9 months. Still wouldn't want to eat it but it was neat to see it up close. I have recommended it to my friends that gave birth after me to see it as well.

You're not a crazy person. I just looked at a bunch of Google images of placentas because I find them morbidly fascinating. So if you're crazy then so am I.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No...just, no....

I didn't see it but I didn't care one way or the other. I had a bad labor and I was just glad it was over I couldn't have cared less. But I don't think its weird.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I had no interest in doing anything with mine and I most certainly had zero interest in consuming it.
I had read that eating it can help you heal faster, increase your energy levels, boost your milk supply, and even help to prevent postpartum depression - and of course, there is no scientific proof to support these claims.
After doing my research (when I was pregnant), I found that there are also certain risks associated with consuming your placenta including contamination from the placenta itself (because it acts as a filter while in utero) and contamination during the birthing process. Also, most processes to make the placenta edible, would likely damage some of the benefits/nutrients that you'd hope to receive anyways (assuming that there are any "benefits" because I'm not convinced that there are).
Sure, it was a part of me, but I didn't feel any sense of need/want to recognize/acknowledge it in any way. In fact, I never even saw it - I was too busy with everything else to even think about it.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I did not do anything with my afterbirth, but I have a funny afterbirth story! :lol:

I was very curious to see what the placenta looked like, so after my first delivery I asked the nurse if I could see the placenta. She looked at me very funny, but went off to get it.

I was hoping she would bring it over in a bowl and perhaps point out the anatomy of the organ. I had heard others talk about learning about the organ from their midwives, and I was curious to see it and learn about it too.

Well, the nurse came back and said, "Here you go!" and help up a clear plastic bag with the placenta in it, knotted closed at the top. It just looked like a plastic bag of bloody slop, of course! I was speechless for a moment then mumbled, "Thanks." and she took it away. Clearly, some miscommunication there!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer_D|1398811364|3663083 said:
I did not do anything with my afterbirth, but I have a funny afterbirth story! :lol:

I was very curious to see what the placenta looked like, so after my first delivery I asked the nurse if I could see the placenta. She looked at me very funny, but went off to get it.

I was hoping she would bring it over in a bowl and perhaps point out the anatomy of the organ. I had heard others talk about learning about the organ from their midwives, and I was curious to see it and learn about it too.

Well, the nurse came back and said, "Here you go!" and help up a clear plastic bag with the placenta in it, knotted closed at the top. It just looked like a plastic bag of bloody slop, of course! I was speechless for a moment then mumbled, "Thanks." and she took it away. Clearly, some miscommunication there!

Oh my gosh my face is red for you that would have made me sooooo uncomfortable! :oops: :oops:

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No...just, no....

LOL, I asked to see mine too, but the midwife forgot.

charleston1

Shiny_Rock
I never thought to ask to see it with the first delivery as the delivery was h*ll. I did ask it with the second baby. My doctor (who is the mother of 4 kids) said "sure but it is really gross". Um yeah, she was right. If I remember correctly she put it in a paper bag. I kept thinking afterwards, why didn't she use a plastic bag. Maybe my memory is playing tricks on me but I honestly remember a paper bag. In fact I can't really remember exactly what it looked like but I remember the paper bag LOL.

I remember that I asked my doctor what the hospital does with it and she told me they sell it to companies that put it in hair care products. Then I remembered the glass vials at the hairdresser that contains the "really good hair conditioner" and I think that is the stuff made with placenta.

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I did not want to keep or eat mine. With the first baby, I *did* want to see it (medical curiosity), but by the time I asked, it had already been disposed of. With the twins, I had a C-section and there was too much else going on for me to think of it.

I know a family who planted a tree to mark the birth of each child... they also saved the placentas and buried them under the roots.

Anne

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I have a friend who makes photograms, often using organic, recently alive material. He made photograms of a friend's placenta. They did not come out as very interesting. The cow's liver, especially after a month of festering, reacted marvelously with the photo chemistry.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
VapidLapid|1398818775|3663178 said:
I have a friend who makes photograms, often using organic, recently alive material. He made photograms of a friend's placenta. They did not come out as very interesting. The cow's liver, especially after a month of festering, reacted marvelously with the photo chemistry.

... link?

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are things in life that serve a particular purpose but aren't meant to be 'played' with IMO. Placentas fall into that category - lol!!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

:lol: :appl:

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
minousbijoux|1398822037|3663241 said:

:lol: :appl:

FTW!

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
HAH, love all of these posts :lol:

My OB was really pushing a placenta bank to save the stem cells. Not sure if he gets paid a commission :???:

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
I have a few dear (completely normal, not even that "crunchy" by my standards anyways) friends who consumed their placenta. They worked with an organization in town that specializes in placenta encapsulation (as well as acupuncture and other Eastern medicine practices). Everyone of them say they would do it again. I will strongly consider it if we have another child. If nothing else I'd love to plant it or do something with it. I loved looking at them after each birth. Huge! And miraculous!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rosebloom|1398822317|3663249 said:
I have a few dear (completely normal, not even that "crunchy" by my standards anyways) friends who consumed their placenta. They worked with an organization in town that specializes in placenta encapsulation (as well as acupuncture and other Eastern medicine practices). Everyone of them say they would do it again. I will strongly consider it if we have another child. If nothing else I'd love to plant it or do something with it. I loved looking at them after each birth. Huge! And miraculous!
I want so badly to feel comfortable with the idea of utilizing the placenta. But I just can't so it. Can't do it ....

erinl

Brilliant_Rock
I saw mine-- the midwife showed it to me which was thoughtful. I would have been much more interested in viewing it if I wasn't so wiped out from delivery. I wasn't grossed out by it but I really didn't pay any attention to it and I wish I had now.

My mom had my sister at home and she placed it under a rose bush in our yard. She called it "M---'s" rosebush after my sister who arrived from that birth. It wasn't a big deal, but I thought it was sweet.

I have heard that people eat them-- placenta pate anyone? People eat all kind of offal, it really isn't any more disgusting than any of that and no animal is harmed in its creation-- so from an ethical standpoint it is pretty animal friendly and environmentally friendly. However, I sure as hell couldn't eat my own-- I find myself a very earthy and progressive woman and I was eeked out by tasting my own breast milk, which really makes absolutely no sense since I drink cows milk, sheep milk etc and I knew exactly what was in and where my milk had been!

People take all kinds of capsulized minerals, taking your own makes more sense than much of the stuff people ingest. I think the whole cannibalism/self ingestion thing is what puts people off, to be honest.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I found out diamonds could be made from carbon of anything... I sent my dog's placenta out to one of those dog cremation to diamond places. I had to give away her puppies, but I felt like, by keeping the placenta close to my heart, I will always have those puppies with me... It was exceptionally sentimental for me since I found out my dog got pregnant accidentally, and I had to get her fixed right after, so she'll never have puppies again..

I chose to have a blue diamond made, and it's set in a halo pendant so I can wear it close to my heart.

When I have my own kids (and I can't wait!!!! You PSers know how baby-crazed I am!), I'm going to do the same. I plan on getting pink for girls and blue for boys... and making little drops to add to some cute pendant.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
madelise|1398823184|3663269 said:
When I found out diamonds could be made from carbon of anything... I sent my dog's placenta out to one of those dog cremation to diamond places. I had to give away her puppies, but I felt like, by keeping the placenta close to my heart, I will always have those puppies with me... It was exceptionally sentimental for me since I found out my dog got pregnant accidentally, and I had to get her fixed right after, so she'll never have puppies again..

I chose to have a blue diamond made, and it's set in a halo pendant so I can wear it close to my heart.

When I have my own kids (and I can't wait!!!! You PSers know how baby-crazed I am!), I'm going to do the same. I plan on getting pink for girls and blue for boys... and making little drops to add to some cute pendant.

Awww....would love to see a pic of you wearing this pendant. I'm sure it's beautiful. :love:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Madelise: Awww! So sweet. That's sure making lemonade from lemons. :))

lioness

Brilliant_Rock
When I saw the placenta after my first baby was born, it reminded me of a plate of spaghetti with way too much bolognese sauce, a big red mess.

The next time I was pregnant and surfing the web because I was too big to sleep, I found this: http://www.mothers35plus.co.uk/plac_rec2.htm#lasagne

Thank me for not posting the version with photos. I sent that one to my OB, who's also a friend. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Methinks that the placenta cocktail needs a splash of vodka, even if you're nursing.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks ladies. I love the blue in it, since I know I'll never afford a natural untreated diamond that's blue. And blue is such a peaceful color..

lioness: Chinese actually believe in drinking alcohol (not a lot) while nursing. It helps with the milk flow. We make a rice wine dessert for pregnant moms who are about to pop, and for them to drink after giving birth. It's really yummy.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results