shape
carat
color
clarity

How to make an informed decision without data?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

afitzhugh

Rough_Rock
So im new to this, and the one thing that is becoming apparent is that the vast majority of diamonds out there only have GIA reports without much of the specifications that allow more detailed analysis of the diamonds quality. Given that, how can one make an informed choice? For example Blue Nile seems to have a diamond in just about any standard specification. Without being able to do further analysis, or seeing the thing, how do people decide what to do? Do you just bite the bullet and take a shot?

A bit ''whelmed at the prospect of buying at the moment. :) (Is too much information hurting me in this case? :)

Thanks for any insight in advance!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How does "informed... without data" sound to you ??
33.gif

You could "take a shot" if you know what to look for after the fact. If not, and the seller didn''t do the homework either, who can ever tell how the one diamond you ever get to see looks compared to others and, more importantly, what choices are you missing
20.gif

afitzhugh

Rough_Rock
Its a question of availability I guess. It seems the number of diamonds available with full data is a minor subset of those on the market. So what do people do? Find a diamond that seems reasonable, then somehow get full reports done before buying? Or do people here who know, just stick with those small number of vendors with the ability to generate full reports? What happens when they dont have the stone you want, how do they find it? Do they have to aquire stones and evalate them one-by-one, or when they search do they have access to more information? I guess "how does the diamond retail industry work, and what should a consumer reasonably expect a vendors responsibilities to be?"

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/1/2005 4:32:40 AM
Author: afitzhugh

....do people here who know, just stick with those small number of vendors with the ability to generate full reports?
For now... ''guess this is pretty much it. Where these guys find their rocks, no idea, but they do
1.gif

Now, you could shop around and look for a winner yourself. The trick is to learn what to look for - something I find hard enough on the groud (since one can''t line up stones side by side but only inspect them in separate locations) and pretty darn hard online. At least I do not think the table & depth on GIA reports say allo; apparently so does GIA since they are rewamping the grading system to allow for more meaningful cut quality.

The only tool to evaluate light return available to private users is the IdealScope (Garry''s and there are other such hand held tools as well). The rest of the ''scopes are available to sellers only.

making use of an appraiser''s advice is yet another way.

... but, what if you do order a stone based on table & depth and find out it''s a dog ?
33.gif
Would you keep shipping htem back ?...

Anyway. I would also be looking at prices. There obviously is some premium for the stones selected for light return and there is some premium for the name of the shop alone (BN comes up with the top prices in allot of comparisons, sure you have seen that).

Definitely some choices and tradeoffs to make there.

Just my 0.2, of course
5.gif

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Although I discuss this issue here, regarding due diligence, my strategy for dealing with this is noted below the signature line here, it''s one I used, and I hope it will help you.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I see clients on a daily basis who are wishing to buy a diamond from some vendor that is supplying less than complete information and who wishes for more. Most dealers, both online and on the street, will allow you to take the stone to your chosen expert for examination and opinion before committing to the deal. It''s a pretty good system. We can give full Sarin reports and analysis, IS and h&a images, and most of the other things you are looking for. We don’t buy or sell diamonds so we’re not in competition with the seller. There are dozens of appraisers distributed about the country who offer similar services. If you want additional information about a stone or you want to confirm what you’ve been told by the seller, consider hiring an independent appraiser. There’s a list at the top of this page under ‘resources’.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
How to make an informed decision without data?
It''s not possible....it''s an oxymoron. Either you have the data, in which case you are "informed", or you don''t have the data, in which case you''re "uninformed".

Date: 4/1/2005 4:16:51 AM
Author:afitzhugh

.. the vast majority of diamonds out there only have GIA reports without much of the specifications that allow more detailed analysis of the diamonds quality. Given that, how can one make an informed choice.
I can think of two ways:

1. Limit yourself to considering only stones that provide all the data upfront....there are still a wealth of choices in doing so.

2. If you wish to consider diamonds that don''t have the analysis up front, you can make the sale contingent upon a satisfactory appraisal by an independent appraiser.

The only downside of #2 is that you likely have to pay for the appraisals, and it''s possible that you might end up paying for appraisals on several stones only to find out they aren''t what you want. That''s why I prefer option 1.

In order for me to even consider a stone, it must have the data, too. I''m fine with the data coming from a Sarin report, etc. or from grading report, but I''m not wasting my time/money calling in a bunch of stones and paying for appraisals on them only to find out they are not as excellently cut as I want.

Troy28

Rough_Rock
I am totally new at this also, but this is what I have found working with bluenile.

1) They will provide sarin data if you request it. However, they will only do this for 2 or 3 stones.

2) You can look at stones with AGS certs only- since AGS certs provide angle, crown, etc...

3) Lastly, bluenile cannot provide any images. So, you have to be comfortable buying a diamond solely based on sarin & cert data. In addition, the bluenile representatives never see the stones themselves so they are offering you their opinions on stones based on the wholesaler''s say-so.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If you do a little scouting there's a whole lot more than blue nile out there who do inspect their goods first hand, can provide as many Sarin's as you like on as many stones as they have and can provide critical photographs before you drop a dime. Aljdewey voiced my sentiments perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results