shape
carat
color
clarity

280 children are still under this

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yesterday this South Korean ferry capsized carrying 475 passengers, mostly kids from the same high school.
It happened so quickly that most of the kids could not get out.
Some trapped kids texted their love to their parents.
Reportedly, one wrote, "We're not dead yet."

Rescuers are trying frantically to help, hoping that some of the 280 missing kids are surviving in air pockets, but heavy currents and bad weather are challenging.
179 were rescued, and 9 are confirmed dead but clearly this number will go up.
This event is so new that the numbers reported don't even add up to 475.

I can't stop thinking about what these kids went through, and may still be experiencing.
That first pic of the ferry's bulbous bow reaching up out of the water is like a tombstone is so haunting.
It's like the ship itself is holding on.
I think it proves there must be many air pockets, since they must be providing the only buoyancy preventing the ship from sinking.

The captain has apologized.
Reportedly he was one of the first off the ship … just like the captain of Costa Concordia, the Italian cruise ship that ran aground in 2012.

This event has me holding my breath.
Poor kids.

screen_shot_2014-04-17_at_0.png

screen_shot_2014-04-17_at_1.png

screen_shot_2014-04-17_at_2.png

screen_shot_2014-04-17_at_11.png

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1397759616|3655103 said:
The captain has apologized. Reportedly he was one of the first off the ship … just like the captain of the Costa Concordia.

The story and pictures are very disturbing - I cannot imagine what it feels like to be trapped like that for hours, not knowing when I will be rescued. I am very sorry for the children, other passengers and their families. I hope the weather improves so that the rescue crews can get them out.

Snicklefritz

Brilliant_Rock
My heart hurts for everyone involved. Those poor parents, let alone their children. :((

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My thoughts are with the families and all on the boat. I hope rescuers find many alive in air pockets and get them out soon.

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
I sure hope so too, but I'm not optimistic. The water's too cold. ;(

D

Deactivated member 42515

This hits really close to home as I'm Korean and I have family in Korea. I really hope that they find the rest of the people. This is so so devastating.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CNN reports:

The ferry was built in a Japanese shipyard 20 years ago and previously operated in that country's waters. It was refitted upon arrival in South Korea in February 2013, Korea Diving Industry Institute president Jung Yong-hyun told YTN.

The ship's sleeping cabins were reconstructed after its arrival in South Korea. This may have affected the weight of the boat and could be a reason for the accident, Jung said.

According to the expert, the reconstruction added around 239 tons of weight to the boat from its original form.

Investigators probing the incident will likely look at various aspects of the boat, including this reconstruction.

"As the center of the weight of the boat becomes higher, it becomes more difficult for the boat to balance," Jung told YTN.

Source: http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/17/world/asia/south-korea-sewol-ferry-explainer/

Kelinas

Shiny_Rock
My childhood friend is a teachers assistant and was on this ferry as a chaperone.
I called my mother for other reasons and spent almost 2 hours on the phone with my friends mother (aka aunt Jinhee) consoling her.

She's been labeled missing, assumed dead. Its fu*king horrible. I can't even begin to describe the sorrowful wails I had to comfort through. We are still holding onto the hope that she's OK, but as more time goes by, it seems more and more unlikely.
My real aunt (grandmothers brother's youngest daughter) is a teacher at a nearby school in Ansan and they area mess right now.....

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kelinas|1397778249|3655265 said:
My childhood friend is a teachers assistant and was on this ferry as a chaperone.
I called my mother for other reasons and spent almost 2 hours on the phone with my friends mother (aka aunt Jinhee) consoling her.

She's been labeled missing, assumed dead. Its fu*king horrible. I can't even begin to describe the sorrowful wails I had to comfort through. We are still holding onto the hope that she's OK, but as more time goes by, it seems more and more unlikely.
My real aunt (grandmothers brother's youngest daughter) is a teacher at a nearby school in Ansan and they area mess right now.....

So sorry to hear this.
There is still hope.

I just saw a video on CNN … In May 2013 a crew member was rescued after surviving 2.5 days in an air pocket in tugboat that was completely submerged 100 feet below the surface off the coast of West Africa.

Again, there has to be lots of trapped air since this incredibly-heavy ship has not sunk.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just heartbreaking! The captains actions are revolting.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kelinas|1397778249|3655265 said:

Big hugs to you and her family!

I know the water is cold, but hopefully there are pockets of air and people are surviving somehow.

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
This is such a heartbreaking tragedy. It is definitely weighing heavy on everyone's hearts here in Korea. I am praying that there is a miracle and we have some more survivors.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
News reports are saying that the vice principal who was rescued from the ship has been found hanged. This whole tragedy is devastating. I can't imagine the pain and suffering for everyone affected.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sick...I can only hope that there are some major air pockets. I heard on the news that they are pumping air into
the boat hoping that there are still lives to save. Those parents/families could really use a miracle about now.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am praying so hard for those poor children and adults still missing. What a terrible terrible tragedy. Heartbreaking on so many levels. Let's hope they find survivors and soon.

Kelinas

Shiny_Rock
I spoke with my mom last night and was told that overnight (In Korea) they found more bodies, one is believed to be my friend.
They are doing DNA testing to confirm, as there are still over 230 people missing.

My heart is heavy with grief.

More and more disturbing details are coming to light. All a little too late but I hope it will give the families closure.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Oh Kelinas I am so sorry to hear that. I don't know what else to say. The whole tragedy is utterly heart-breaking and my worst nightmare come true. ;(

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
Kelinas|1398085064|3657050 said:
I spoke with my mom last night and was told that overnight (In Korea) they found more bodies, one is believed to be my friend.
They are doing DNA testing to confirm, as there are still over 230 people missing.

More and more disturbing details are coming to light. All a little too late but I hope it will give the families closure.

I'm so sorry. ;( ;(

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
Kelinas said:

Yes, I have been watching the news closely here and they found several bodies in the last 24 hours. It is such a heartbreaking situation. Every day I go out and I can tell that the entire country consumed with grief and heartache for those involved in this tragedy.

I am so sorry for you, your family, friend, and friend's family. So very sorry. :(

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so very sorry, Kelinas. (((Hugs)))

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG :(sad

And Kelinas I am so sorry about your friend. :blackeye:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So sorry, Kelinas. :nono:

I hope and expect this extreme tragedy and all the publicity will result in higher ship / maritime safety standards throughout the world.

Kelinas

Shiny_Rock
Please still keep this in your minds.
The Prime minister of SK has resigned his post and there are still bodies that have yet to be recovered.

There is a picture making its way around the internet. Its one of the first pictures of the actual rescue. What is heartbreaking is someone actually Zoomed in and realized that there were students watching from inside as their classmates were being rescued.

I can't get the image out of my head. I understand that as more time goes by, it becomes less and less "front page" but if there was ever a time to send good vibes, now is it.

Thank you.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kelinas|1398603760|3661157 said:
There is a picture making its way around the internet. Its one of the first pictures of the actual rescue. What is heartbreaking is someone actually Zoomed in and realized that there were students watching from inside as their classmates were being rescued.

Heartbreaking but I hope it also gives them strength to stay positive that they could be rescued next.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been thinking of all involved. I keep seeing the news stories and it is just beyond words. Will continue to send positive thoughts and hopes for good weather.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results