shape
carat
color
clarity

to sell or not to sell?

London

Shiny_Rock
first let me start by saying I am having way too much fun on this forum! I'm hooked haha

So I own a pair of diamond studs that are moderately large. I used to wear them all the time but in the last few years I haven't worn them even once. There are a few reasons I think I don't wear them anymore. One is now that I am educated the fact that they do not match in color, cut or cert (one is EGL the other is GIA) seems to bother me quite a bit. You cant tell any difference visually, especially since they're on my lobs not on finger, but the fact that I know bugs. So my options are:

1) sell the EGL and spend the extra $$ (probably 5k-7k) and get an appropriate matching GIA stone.

2) sell both stones and get one awesome RHR

3) leave the studs mismatched and get a semi awesome RHR

Oddly enough I am not super excited about the studs but I feel that it's something I've wanted to get fixed for so long that I have to just do it. But if I just sell both studs and get the RHR that I am more excited about I am afraid I will kick myself later if all of a sudden I "need" studs and diamond prices have significantly gone up. Sorry a bit long and probably a little confusing. If you have gotten through reading this your opinion is appreciated!

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not a fan of anything semi awesome so #3 would be out for me. Would you wear the studs after #1 is done? If you go with #2, do you have other great earrings to wear instead of studs?

London

Shiny_Rock
baby monster|1398384127|3659451 said:
I'm not a fan of anything semi awesome so #3 would be out for me. Would you wear the studs after #1 is done? If you go with #2, do you have other great earrings to wear instead of studs?

I agree with you. Dont like anything half way either... hmmm
I have a few other great earrings but mostly dangly's and one pair of .8 each princess studs which are ok... hmmm

GeorgeStevens

Shiny_Rock
London|1398382759|3659444 said:
You cant tell any difference visually

This is all that matters.

As I said in the other thread, diamonds are a natural product, not a piece of extruded plastic. So love them for their natural characteristics - colors, blemishes, and all. God didn't make you or me perfect, so neither are our diamonds perfect.

Remember that there are big transaction costs when trying to sell diamonds. I doubt these costs are worth it. Maybe you'd have better luck trading in one of the stones if it really is bothersome.

London

Shiny_Rock
GeorgeStevens|1398390652|3659524 said:
London|1398382759|3659444 said:
You cant tell any difference visually

This is all that matters.

As I said in the other thread, diamonds are a natural product, not a piece of extruded plastic. So love them for their natural characteristics - colors, blemishes, and all. God didn't make you or me perfect, so neither are our diamonds perfect.

Remember that there are big transaction costs when trying to sell diamonds. I doubt these costs are worth it. Maybe you'd have better luck trading in one of the stones if it really is bothersome.

Sheesh, this is a good way to look at it too... I am definitely of the belief that diferences and originality are beautiful... hmmm

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
How off are they?

Can you post the angles and the color/clarity and carat weight of each as well as mm size (spread)?

cm366

Shiny_Rock
Objectively, I have to agree - if you can't tell any difference visually, that's pretty much a perfect pair by definition. Doesn't matter what their certs are, and it's possible that the difference in EGL and GIA criteria is why they've been labeled as different colours/clarities but still look very similar. But.... I want to see you get a mindblowingly gorgeous ruby, that's much more exciting than diamonds. So get the RHR! :devil:

SB621

Ideal_Rock
So I just bought a pair of largerish studs and while they are a good match in cut I have been told they are 1 shade off in RL. This may or maynot bother me. But to me the mind clean is an issue. I don't believe in keeping ANYTHING that I semi love. I would rather sell at a loss and get something I truly adore and will pass down to my daughter. My advise is sell them both and get something that makes your heart sing.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SB621|1398407715|3659685 said:
So I just bought a pair of largerish studs and while they are a good match in cut I have been told they are 1 shade off in RL. This may or maynot bother me. But to me the mind clean is an issue. I don't believe in keeping ANYTHING that I semi love. I would rather sell at a loss and get something I truly adore and will pass down to my daughter. My advise is sell them both and get something that makes your heart sing.
Yup!, the only way to go... :appl:

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
This is an extremely difficult decision to make for several reasons; when you are wearing your jewelry it may not matter at all whether they are top or not, you can still love them and enjoy them. I for example own a simple emerald/diamond ring that is probably my least expensive piece but I love wearing this ring and I get a zillion compliments for it. I also do not worry when I wear it that I will lose or damage it or have it stolen. It is not a very flashy piece at all. I am the same way with earrings; I have simple pairs I truly love wearing.

Then comes the professional thinking or that of an educated person; that they are not really top quality and especially for me whether I can wear such jewelry when I am in the trade; since these pieces represent me. You would be surprised though that for one I find that women in the trade wear very little jewelry at all (this is a shocker) and that when they do it is not impressive like what they would be selling, why?

That said I find myself not wearing my diamonds that are not top cut, I debate whether I should even keep them. There are many pieces I used to wear and I no longer do but is it a good decision to sell them? I am not so sure because I may miss them later but some of mine are Art Deco and so on and just because right now I like top cut modern stones does not mean I will not return to these pieces later.

In your case if you have other studs and are not in love with this pair, I too would second the notion to get something that makes your heart sing, if I had to make the choice, I would probably do so as well unless there is emotional attachment to this particular pair you got. Making jewelry decisions is largely an emotional one and no one can advice you on what to do, you have to decide what feels right to you and what you wish.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results