shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond and Engagement Ring Advice

nimmy7

Rough_Rock
Hello All,

I am in the process in purchasing a diamond and engagement ring. I wanted to get your advice on the diamond I am purchasing (cut value, size, and price). :shock: :shock:

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/1.295-g-si1-round-diamond-ags-bl-104069928006

Also I am deciding on which engagement ring I will be purchasing for my fiancé! Let me know which you guys like in your opinion!

1. http://www.eternitybyyoni.com/engagement-rings/diamond-engagement-ring/Harry-Winston-Inspired-Halo-Ring-520.htm#

2. http://www.eternitybyyoni.com/engagement-rings/diamond-engagement-ring/Split-Shank-Halo-Engagement-Ring-523.htm#

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Does your fiance 100% want a halo?

The diamond is lovely.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Those are all CAD images. I would not buy a halo from CAD only images. You need to ask for real life pictures of precious halos.

nimmy7

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your response. Yes she wants a Halo 100%. I heard Yoni is pretty reputable.

Tell me more on your analysis of the diamond?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
What do you want to know that the BGD listing doesn't tell you? AGS0 with a perfect idealscope. Great numbers and 7mm spread. Safe strong blue. Great color and eyeclean. What's not to like? Excellent stone.

Eternity by Yoni is reputable. That doesn't mean you should skip your due diligence and ask for pictures of real life versions of the settings you are considering. Just because a vendor is reputable doesn't mean all their items are equally good.

You need actual pictures of the settings before you buy.

nimmy7

Rough_Rock
Your absolutely right. That is something I will do. Do you think if I buy the diamond from BG and setting from Yoni I will have issues getting it set locally in Chicago? What concerns might I approach.

Yoni mentioned he will make the setting custom so it sits flush. Which is what I desire.

One issue in option 1 is I feel like the diamond pretudes way far up... Like it stands up way to high when looking at it from the side. I am thinking for requesting him to lower that slighlty. Maybe I'm just analyzing the picture too much and its not a big difference in real life.

What pros and con's is there for having the diamond sit so high?

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think his photos-videos compare favorably to those Engagement Rings Direct provides & are more usefully lifelike than the stylized pics one often sees. E.g.,Tacori and Beverly K -- who is one of those sometimes so stingy that they post just 1 shot, leaving you clueless as to what the gallery,for example, looks like :rolleyes:
http://www.beverleyk.com/engagement-rings/halo/r1185-a-d-d-cz.html
http://www.beverleyk.com/engagement-rings/halo/r370-a-d-d-cz.html

You might find it fun and informative to read through isekii's posts (and PS-ers' responsive suggestions) on his collaboration with Yoni on a halo e-ring:
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...would-like-some-opinions-and-feedback.184088/

The reveal here:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/its-finally-here-photos-and-video.184874/

P.S. Is there some particular reason for you thinking of having a local jeweler set the stone rather than simply letting Yoni have the stone & set it?

nimmy7

Rough_Rock
Those links at a quick glance are awesome! i will take a look when i get home from work.

As for getting it set locally after getting my diamond shipped from BG i dont want the anxiety, cost, and trouble of shipping my diamond back in the mail to someone else.

I feel like everything is tight and insured but still dont have to want to worry. Let me know if you agree.

nimmy7

Rough_Rock
As for the diamond i see on the asset scope that the middle is Green and not Red. I have seen asset scopes wiht the center being more red. Is this something i should be concern of?

Also i was just thinking maybe i should have BG set the diamond. The logistics would work by Yoni creating the ring and ship it to me and i ship it to BG to set.

Let me know what you guys think.

caldwa

Rough_Rock
nimmy7|1397588878|3653915 said:
As for the diamond i see on the asset scope that the middle is Green and not Red. I have seen asset scopes wiht the center being more red. Is this something i should be concern of?

Also i was just thinking maybe i should have BG set the diamond. The logistics would work by Yoni creating the ring and ship it to me and i ship it to BG to set.

Let me know what you guys think.

Question: have you considered having BGD doing a custom setting for you? If you are buying the diamond from them, it would make most sense to me to buy the setting from them as well. I seriously considered buying a ring from them, and they were one of those most competitive quotes I received on custom settings. Conversely, I'm sure that Yoni could find a very nice diamond for you as well. Either way would cut down on shipping parts of the ring across the country, and then they can really make the setting custom for your diamond with it on hand while they design the ring.

nimmy7

Rough_Rock
I was looking at settings on BG and they were almost double the price than Yoni. Yoni being $2K and BG being $4K. I didnt bother asking for a quote for a custom ring because of that.

I chose BG for the diamond based on reviews, research, diamond, price, and it beign signature blue. I dont think i want to go into the whole processes and selecting a diamond again. Just want to get confirmation from others before i purchase it.

Yeah its a headache from getting from 2 vendors.

caldwa

Rough_Rock
nimmy7|1397593637|3653969 said:
I was looking at settings on BG and they were almost double the price than Yoni. Yoni being $2K and BG being $4K. I didnt bother asking for a quote for a custom ring because of that.

I chose BG for the diamond based on reviews, research, diamond, price, and it beign signature blue. I dont think i want to go into the whole processes and selecting a diamond again. Just want to get confirmation from others before i purchase it.

I understand your reasoning. That's what I thought too, but I went ahead and asked BGD, and the quote for a custom round halo ring like I wanted (added pear shapes) was $2000 less than what their standard round halo listed was. You should bother asking BGD. :) Also, consider that the BGD setting that you're likely comparing to the Yoni one might have 2x time diamond melee (~0.5 compared to 0.9ct) and is a step higher on both cut and color. Not to knock Yoni by any means, but the stock setting from BGD you're comparing to has a lot more diamonds for that $4k price. I bet if you asked BGD, they could make that style with a smaller diamond melee amount much closer to your budget.

BGD was my second choice for my ring purchase (ended up going with my family jeweler), and they definitely were very helpful in the quote process.

caldwa

Rough_Rock
nimmy7|1397593637|3653969 said:

Also, if you do consider a setting from BGD, you should read this post by Todd over at NiceIce. You might find something quite helpful at the end :)

http://niceice.com/blue-nile-petite-cathedral-solitaire-engagement-ring-coupon-codes/

nimmy7

Rough_Rock
Hahahaha!!! Thank you so much for that link. I did find something great at the end ;-) .... I then reached out to BG to let them know to provide me a quote for that custom setting from Yoni. Lets see what they say.

I reached out to Todd and he was helpful. He mentioned I should try to get in touch with Leslie Gavin.

I want to mention the special discount but I hope they don't give me issues as I already agreed to pay for the diamond. I am going to delay the shipment of the diamond until I find out about the setting.

Ill keep you posted.

Thanks again for that!

caldwa

Rough_Rock
Great, I hope it works out for you!

nimmy7

Rough_Rock
So... I am deciding between two engagement rings...

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/pave-and-side-stones/kirstys-halo-platinum-5765p

and something similar too

http://www.engagementringsdirect.com/cinde-contemporary-micro-pave-halo-engagement-ring-bpid-117-15.html

Both Lesley from BG and Chris from ERD are both great. The BGD cost is about 14% more cost than ERD. The weight of crt is similar (BG might be a little more) both are platinum.

I think I will probably proceed with BG because that is wear I purchased my diamond from.

Anyone have any advice? I want to hear your thoughts/experiences with either or vendor

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Both vendors will make you a gorgeous ring. BGD has been a little more consistent on getting everything right 100%. I think you will be very happy with your decision!

nimmy7

Rough_Rock
Thanks Gypsy

I am going to proceed with BG with the Kristy Halo. I am going to request a cushion halo look for my round diamond. Stay tuned.

Lesley is wants my fiancé to confirm her ring size. She went today and Jared let her know its 6.0 even though she fit in a 5.75 then another vendor told her 6 again (but she fit in a 5.5 very snug). Not sure how I want to proceed.

Lesley wanted her to look for a "2.2mm Novo Ring". My soon to be asked the vendors that and they didn't know what she was talking about. What did Lesley mean by that? Is it that specific to ask for Novo? Should I just pull the trigger at size 6.

I don't want the headache with sending things back to re size

nimmy7

Rough_Rock
Thanks Gypsy

I am going to proceed with BG with the Kristy Halo. I am going to request a cushion halo look for my round diamond. Stay tuned.

Lesley is wants my fiancé to confirm her ring size. She went today and Jared let her know its 6.0 even though she fit in a 5.75 then another vendor told her 6 again (but she fit in a 5.5 very snug). Not sure how I want to proceed.

Lesley wanted her to look for a "2.2mm Novo Ring". My soon to be asked the vendors that and they didn't know what she was talking about. What did Lesley mean by that? Is it that specific to ask for Novo? Should I just pull the trigger at size 6.

I don't want the headache with sending things back to re size

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
nimmy7|1398391813|3659539 said:

Lesley meant go to Tiffany, ask to see the 2.2mm Novo ring and find out what size she is in that specific ring.

nimmy7

Rough_Rock
haha makes sense. Thanks Gypsy. will have her do that. Do you have any tips on what I should include in the halo? I know I saw you mention in a thread of the halo "tilt"... I attached that pic to Lesley to make sure I don't have that issue.

What other tips. I am excited for my lady to receive this.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
nimmy7|1398393701|3659576 said:
haha makes sense. Thanks Gypsy. will have her do that. Do you have any tips on what I should include in the halo? I know I saw you mention in a thread of the halo "tilt"... I attached that pic to Lesley to make sure I don't have that issue.

What other tips. I am excited for my lady to receive this.

That Kristy's halo is one of my favorites. The only I would do is remove the pave from the donut as that will scratch any wedding band she wants to wear next to it, or require she get a spacer. Other than that... it's a REALLY gorgeous setting. And I really don't see any alternations I would make.

I do think the halo that is posted in this link already HAS a tilted halo. So even that's fine.

It's going to be stunning! http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/pave-and-side-stones/kirstys-halo-platinum-5765p#more

nimmy7

Rough_Rock
I made the Purchase from Brian Gavin. Now I will wait 8-10 days for the initial CAD drawings.

The Halo will a cushion and the diamond is round. I will keep everyone posted.

I am anxious to get this complete as I plan to propose this summer.

G

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results