shape
carat
color
clarity

Durability issue?

Just_Starting

Shiny_Rock
Hi I've posted a full spec of this diamond in another thread before, the focus was (shockingly enough on pricescope, related to light return/performance!). This information was very useful, however I am still intending on going to see the diamond due to still being an HCA excellent and GIA excellent and priced very well for the UK - since it should have more brilliance/less fire it might still appeal to me. If it does I'd like to just buy it with confidence, that's where I need your help.

0.53 carat, VS1, inclusions in order are: twinning wisp, knot, feather. I'm quite happy with the wisp being judged as the most significant inclusion since this shouldn't be a durability risk and hopefully not affect light performance. I am concerned about the knot/feather (also note the crown angle is 32.5 which I also read can be a durability risk). Some people say VS1 is worry free, others disagree. Unfortunately I have no pics.

Can you provide me with a checklist of what to look out for when looking through a loupe/questions to ask if I decide I like the diamond? Already made one mistake with a diamond before I joined pricescope and don't want to make another (last one was extremely thin girdle in an exposed e ring setting, got returned but now my partner has no ring lol).

Here's a report number if it helps...
http://www.gia.edu/cs/Satellite?reportno=1136791031&c=Page&childpagename=GIA%2FPage%2FReportCheck&pagename=GIA%2FDispatcher&cid=1355954554547

Thanks for any help.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Anyone who disagrees about GIA or AGS VS1 inclusions being safe is well... wrong.
You can break an IF if you hit it wrong. It has nothing to do with inclusions.

Your inclusions are fine. I personally wouldn't pay for D VS1. I would drop to G VS2 and go up significantly in size.

The crown angle is shallow on that stone.

Just_Starting

Shiny_Rock
Gypsy|1398380091|3659417 said:
Anyone who disagrees about GIA or AGS VS1 inclusions being safe is well... wrong.
You can break an IF if you hit it wrong. It has nothing to do with inclusions.

Your inclusions are fine. I personally wouldn't pay for D VS1. I would drop to G VS2 and go up significantly in size.

The crown angle is shallow on that stone.

Thanks again for replying to one of my many questions/threads Gypsy. Always relieved when I see you post in response as you get straight to the point and tell me what I want to know. I do agree with you regarding the colour and clarity drop, however for some bizzare reason in the UK I haven't found another seller that can provide even a G VS2 for the same price yet and I've looked around a lot =-/. Here's what one of the most highly reviewed jewellers in Hatton gardens London said in response to my enquiry for an F-H colour, I was shocked:

Good Morning,

I hope this email finds you well.

(anon) has asked me to get back to you regarding the diamond that you are looking for.

I have looked through the diamonds that we have here and unfortunately we don’t have anything that sits within your specific criteria.
We hold colour very highly and I would encourage you to look at going for a higher colour grade over some of the other things on your list.

I’m sorry that we are unable to help you with this but I wish you the best of luck in finding what you are looking for.

Best Wishes

(anon)

I removed names/haven't named the jeweller incase it conflicts with any rules.

I am going to keep looking for a lower colour/VS2 alternative, however this jeweller seems to be the most competitive I've found and like the jeweller that replied to my inquiry in Hatton gardens, they seem to stock mostly D-F colour but any clarity :S.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
I personally think that you are A okay with a VS clarity stone. You need to see it to assure yourself that it is okay.... My stone is an SI1 aaand I need a 10x loupe to see the one inclusion. My certificate has wisps and several other terms that are on your certificate an I have nevver seen them even though they are plotted on the GIA chart. I think your stone will be fine. Although opersonally I would drop in color and get a larger stone. But that's my HO

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
OK. I understand wanting to use a particular vendor. In that case, if the price is good on the stone and the jewelers policies are good. I can see springing for the D VS1. Hey, at least it will be totally mind clean.

And you are welcome!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results