shape
carat
color
clarity

Has anyone given up hand lotion for their diamond?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm a freak about keeping my diamond clean.
I also am not a hand lotion user.

Recently I did some work in my garden.
I should have used gloves because my hands turned into beef jerky so I tried hand lotion.
OMG, it dropped my diamond's clarity from VS2 to I3. :knockout:
My usual cleaning regime didn't cut it, so I had to drag out my steam cleaner it to resurrect the poor thing.

Never again.

Have any of you lotion-users decided to give it up and settle for having lizard skin to have a clean diamond?
How do any of you use lotion but keep your diamond clean?

screen_shot_2014-04-24_at_0.png

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
I despise the feel of lotion on my hands, but if I really need some I take my rings off while I'm putting it on. I wait until it's completely absorbed before I put the rings back on.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Andelain|1398361865|3659254 said:
I despise the feel of lotion on my hands, but if I really need some I take my rings off while I'm putting it on. I wait until it's completely absorbed before I put the rings back on.

I did that too, but it seemed to migrate from my skin to the diamond like a mutant green slime in a cheap 1950s Horror film.

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1398362018|3659256 said:

I did that too, but it seemed to migrate from my skin to the diamond like a mutant green slime in a cheap 1950s Horror film.

Try either less lotion, or waiting longer to put the ring back on.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Huh? I put on lotion all the time, especially in the winter. Take off rings, apply and put rings back on. It doesn't get the stones any dirtier than general wear. I do use a non greasy lotion that sinks right in.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have to admit, I use lotion a *lot* less now than I used to: I wear enough eternities these days that even a little residual lotion between my fingers is going to rub off on them as they spin/move on my hand. I do try (when I remember) to paint my cuticles with vitamin E oil on a regular basis, and that does seem to help ....

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I never put on hand lotion until I have put my diamonds to bed for the night.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I use lotion alot...but I always take my rings off...I hadnt noticed any difference..but I dont put my rings back on until it is absorbed in..

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, I wouldn't give up my hand lotion. Diamonds get clean but my hands get dried and cracked to the point of bleeding if I don't moisturize every time I wash. I wash my hands in between examining each person at least so that's many times a day. I take my rings off, wash, and apply hand lotion and then put my rings back on. They do take on some of the lotion as it's inevitable but I just clean them when I can. Not worth sacrificing my hands for and the diamonds can easily get clean as new again.

quaddio

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I gave it up due to travel with carry-ons. Now I use one moisturizer for everything (eyes, face and hands). I also started using lip balm for my cuticles which works far better than anything else I've tried. Highly recommend this http://merryhempsters.com/hemp/lipbalm/LB092.html

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I did for a while. Then I looked at my hands. Now I'm just careful when I apply. I either take the rings off and put them on my necklace. Or I just go my best to go around them. My ring finger rarely gets any lotion.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
No way am I giving up hand lotion! Don't you know nice bling will be noticed.....and if they are attached to not-so-nice hands :knockout:

My hands feel like parchment paper if I don't lotion regularly, so I take my rings off, put lotion, wait for full absorption, put rings back on. It's a daily ritual.

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Once my diamonds are 'to bed for the night', :lol: I use Cetaphil cream, which is a wonderful hand cream.

In the morning, I'll use some Aveno hand lotion, rub it in, then rinse off my hands with water. It's enough to moisturize & my rings don't get gunked up. Plus I don't like my hands to look dry nor do I like the way it feels!

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock

This. It sucks in the really dry winters.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Madam Bijoux|1398370280|3659332 said:
Me too MB!! :wavey:

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I'm crazy about clean rings :errrr: When my MIL visits, her rings are always dirty and it drives me bonkers. I'm very careful if I apply lotion and I haven't noticed that it causes much of an issue (I always take my rings off during application and wait unit my hands are dry before putting my rings back on). The absolute worst is sunscreen!!!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I put lotion on every morning, rub it in and let it dry. I wipe my hands off with a paper towel to absorb any extra before I put my rings on. My hands get so dry that I can really not go without lotion. By lunchtime, I've usually washed every bit of the lotion off and may not reapply until bedtime. I take my rings off as soon as I get home and clean them good so they never really look like they are covered in grease!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Madam Bijoux|1398370280|3659332 said:

This is me too.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My poor hands are the oldest looking part of me because I don't look after them at all. I do put lotion on my legs so I agree with the others for any type of lotion take ring or rings off, allow it to dry first and then put them back on again. The cloudy looks like dried spit crossed with gunk from the swamp effect should be minimised....

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Heavy duty lotion soaks in at night while I am sleeping, then clean diamond on more supple looking skin in the morning. :cheeky:

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I use lotion, but only twice a day, and I always take my rings off when I apply it. That said, I think the slime in the lotion does migrate up the shank and basket, onto the pavillion of the diamond. I can have a squeaky clean diamond in the morning, and as the day goes on it will take on a progressive slightly oily, murky appearance, coming off the pavillion (I can see it easily in my AVC since the pavillion facets are so large). I still use lotion, and I don't have a tension setting like yours that allows the culet to touch the skin so it likely isn't as marked an effect as it is for your Octavia, but it is bothersome.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I need to use hand lotion because I have very dry skin, which becomes even worse during the cold NJ winters - cracking, flaking, etc. I blot my hands with a towel after applying and let the lotion sink in before before putting my rings on. I rinse my fingertips so that they are lotion free when I handle my rings (I know, a bit over the top but I'm OCD about having clean rings lol) I don't put lotion on my ring finger, which seems to help too.

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I despise hand lotion! And I never use it while wearing my rings. It takes my hands being on the verge of cracking before I'll remove my rings, apply lotion, towel off the excess residue, wait 1 hour then put my rings back on (seriously, that's how I do it). Timely thread, as my rings are sitting on my desk at this very moment because the soap in my office is so drying that I had to put on some lotion about 30 minutes ago! :lol:

At home, I've been trying to use raw coconut oil as a moisturizer every evening after removing my rings for the night. It absorbs super fast and I love it - use it on my body and my face! My hope is that, with daily use, my dry skin will improve to the point of not ever needing to buy or use lotion.

Have I mentioned how much I hate lotion??? Even the word lotion...flashbacks of Buffalo Bill. "It rubs the lotion on its skin..."

[Shudder]

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I work with paper all day everyday as my profession, so obviously my hands dry out a lot. But I hate the feel of lotions and creams, and I'd rather be super dry. I just HATE hand/body lotion. Rings or not, I hate it. I won't put it on with rings on, anyway, not without washing it back off my hands first... and I feel like I need another shower or to wash my hands once it actually goes on my skin. In fact I often do wash my hands immediately after putting lotion on, even face lotion on my face! My hands have to literally crack and bleed for me to put it on, and sometimes even then I won't. I might just put neosporin on the wound and put a bandaid on it. I usually have to blot my face after I put lotion on that too, because it makes me sweat!

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Try coconut oil, Ame! Rub it into your hands, then just wipe off the excess and it disappears within a minute or two, no residue, and your skin feels dry and normal afterwards, just slightly softer and more hydrated.

I'm seriously hooked - using it on my face now too.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually bought coconut oil for the health benefits of ingesting it! I'll have to try it for my hands!

I certainly use lotion and can manage to get it on my hands and not my rings, Kenny! I normally put it on without my rings on, but if I wash my hands during the day and feel the need to put more on, I just rub it in around the rings and don't get a bit on them! I use lotion that is not greasy and absorbs well.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results