shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with ERD CADs for my OEC!

OECsareforLovers

Shiny_Rock
Hi all! I'm hoping you can all give me feedback on CADs for my ering upgrade. I posted about the stone here:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/help-me-figure-out-if-this-is-an-oec-dude-or-a-gem.199446/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/help-me-figure-out-if-this-is-an-oec-dude-or-a-gem.199446/[/URL]

Since then I've bought the loose stone and had it appraised with GemLab, they said it had a lovely cut that's I color and SI1 (but eye-clean). It's tucked away in a safe deposit box otherwise I'd post more pics. It came in at 1.34 with these measurements:
6.84 x 7.11 x 4.29 mm
depth: 61.4%
Table: 47.8%
Crown height 18.1
Crown angle 35.1
Pav Depth 40.1
Pav Angle 41.3

On to the setting. I really wanted a setting that celebrated my old cut. Tacori-ish "vintage" settings just didn't do it for me and I had a hard time finding an antique setting that I liked and could accommodate my stone. First two are pics of my inspiration settings and then the CADS. The CADS do seem bulky, but my largest dislike is the gallery. I want a pretty gallery, but this doesn't do it for me. The setting will be hand engraved.

So, good people, what do your eagle eyes see? What alloy would you recommend (my wedding ring is a 18k yellow gold eternity band)? And any ideas for a different gallery?

Thank you!!!!

inspiration_1.jpg

inspiration_4.jpg

photo_apr_21__6_57_31_0.jpg

photo_apr_21__6_57_31_pm__1_.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you want a more attractive profile i would maybe take that perpendicular design aspect and curve it in a half circle around the shank, making diamonds all round the basket.

I would also want the shank thinner, maybe reduce the size of the melee?

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you want it to be more like the inspiration ring then I agree with Niel that the shank should be slimmer. You seem to have room even if you keep the melee the same size. It is a lovely design!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes similar. But I wouldn't put it under the basket as they have, I'd leave it less angled and I would have it next to the basket, leaving the basket as it is now, with the curved detail hugging up against it, so to speak.

redroze

Shiny_Rock
Agree with Niel. I'd wrap the pave around so it looks like a ribbon, kind of like Kelpie's ring.

https://www.pricescope.com/blog/jewel-week-unique-diamond-ring-leaf-motif

I have to say ERD's cads are very deceiving as the pave areas seem to have more gold around the melee than they will in the final ring. I'd give them a shank size to commit to - such as 1.8 or 2 mm.

OECsareforLovers

Shiny_Rock
Gotcha. You all are so helpful! Kelpie's ring was also on my wishlist and I have spent more time than I like to admit lusting after the setting...but alas, my heart led me in a different direction.

Let me pick your brain on one more thing. The basket in the CADs looks too "modern" for me, any advice on how I can give it more visual interest while keeping the antique vibe?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here are my suggestions.

photo_apr_21__6_57_32_0.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is the profile I would suggest:

_17180.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Alternate:

cad_-_split_prong.png

OECsareforLovers

Shiny_Rock
Neil and Redroze: when I tried on setting with fishtail prongs I just wasn't a fan of them on my hand, but I do admire them in other's settings.

Gypsy: thanks so much for the advice. The profile of the second basket is really lovely, but maybe instead of melee I would just do engraving.

So it sounds like: (1) shank needs to be slimmer but still tapered, maybe 2mm at the smallest, (2) the perpendicular part on the shoulder needs to wrap around the shank and where the shank meets the wraps there needs to be an indent to accentuate the ribbon/wrap feature, (3) gallery needs to be reworked

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You might want to drop the last melee from 4 melees to 3 melees on each side as per the original; that will help with the slimming taper effect.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1398174183|3657771 said:
You might want to drop the last melee from 4 melees to 3 melees on each side as per the original; that will help with the slimming taper effect.
Great observation! I totally agree!

OECsareforLovers

Shiny_Rock
Good catch Chrono! Going down to 3 melee with also let me show off the hand engraving a bit more :naughty:

OECsareforLovers

Shiny_Rock
Holy cow Tweeter, you nailed it!!!! Thank you for posting. That's the perfect inspiration pic to send to ERD.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Additional issue is the CADS show a straight line taper. The original has a little bit of a concave curve.

tweeter8177

Brilliant_Rock
OECsareforLovers|1398261206|3658507 said:
Holy cow Tweeter, you nailed it!!!! Thank you for posting. That's the perfect inspiration pic to send to ERD.

I am thrilled I could help out! Acinom's profile just stood out to me and I hope it works for you! I know ERD does the miligrain by hand but I am not sure on engraving. You may want to ask how they do it. I have been happy with my new ERD ring so I hope you are too!!

redroze

Shiny_Rock
ERD does hand engraving too. They are engraving my ring.

OECsareforLovers

Shiny_Rock
Hi all,
So we are on to round 2! Chris said that with the change to the ribbon element he would like to go down to single prongs. I tend to agree since the hope is still to have the basket engraved. First is the notes that I sent them, then the new CADs.

Thoughts? Thank you!!

swanson_erdmods.jpg

erd_cads_v2_1.jpg

erd_cads_v2_2.jpg

erd_cads_v2_3.jpg

redroze

Shiny_Rock
Agree with the single prongs.,,I'd ask them to reflect that on the cads so there is no confusion. There are still 4 melee...should be 3. I like the diamond set higher, it looks more like your inspiration and showcases the diamond better. Setting it lower makes the ribbon pave look like a semi bezel. I'd reduce the shank to 1.8 mm to give it an even daintier look.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love how the wrap looks from the [circle] side where the milgrain comes to a squared point and there is a diamond in the point.
And all the other views too!

OECsareforLovers

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Jimmi! I really love the ribbon element now as well.

Redroze: I agree that it needs to go back to being set higher and they need to get rid of that darn 4th diamond on the shank. Thanks for your input.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1398268665|3658557 said:
Additional issue is the CADS show a straight line taper. The original has a little bit of a concave curve.

This is what I'd add.

I agree with setting stone higher and losing the last stone.

OECsareforLovers

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Gypsy. You're right, the should would look better with a little concave in the taper.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
OECsareforLovers|1398387397|3659483 said:
Thanks Gypsy. You're right, the should would look better with a little concave in the taper.

:wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results