shape
carat
color
clarity

Tell me about birthing classes

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
I am nearly 23 weeks pregnant and feeling overwhelmed with the number of options for birthing classes in my area. One one hand it is great that I have so many options. On the other hand the idea of researching them all is tiring. I live in the SF Bay Area and we have everything from hospital options (that range from 1 very long Saturday class to a handful of shorter weeknight classes), Bradley Method, McMoyler Method, and stuff that falls in between.

I think I am currently leaning towards a set of Bradley classes paired with a Doula based on a recommendation from a very trusted friend but I wanted to cover my bases by asking the lovely PS moms about their experiences.

What did you end up doing? Do you think it helped prepare you for birth? What would you change (or did you change) for the next time?

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
We took a hybrid birthing class that was mostly Bradley (but a little more open-minded, less militant about no drugs, etc). It was 8 3-hour sessions.

That class is 1000% the reason I was able to avoid a c-section in my situation and why I understood what was happening in labor. I also had a doula and switched from my OB to a midwife (the night before I went into labor at 36 weeks 5 days).

I'll type more later when I'm not holding E and feeding B lunch:)

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would you mind sharing the info for your class? I know that you're in the NYC area and I have a friend who's interested in something similar. Thanks!

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the feedback Bella! Was there a specific name for the classes you took? I'll try searching for hybrid classes.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We did an intensive weekend (8 hours Saturday, 4 hours Sunday) class because it was the only way we could both fit it into our schedules together. I actually liked it that way and felt like cramming it all in at once was very beneficial. I'm 75% through a class that meets once a week right now and I couldn't tell you what was covered the first few weeks because I've already forgotten.

I don't recall what "method" was taught. It seemed very mother-focused with father as a low-key support mostly for balance in birth position, not very coach-y. The organization through which we did our class is geared more toward doulas/midwives, though. I thought it was great. My husband was not happy with the fact that in all the discussion/teaching not once did anyone use the word "father." I must say I did not notice that at all. Probably because I was thinking about how to push a baby out of my body. ;))

If you want and need your husband to be your labor coach then I think that's what Bradley is kind of about, right? That would not have worked for me. I was good with mostly silent support and a shoulder to bite. LOL

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
Asscher, we took our class through Uptown Birth (the instructor was a Bradley instructor, but for scheduling reasons she switched to 3 8 hour classes instead of Bradley's required 12 2 hours classes so she's technically not a Bradley instructor now or something like that. Also, she really believes in preparing you for a variety of situations and outcomes, including those that don't go "according to plan" and may involve, by choice and/or medical necessity, drugs or c-section). I think that our instructor is moving to another city though.

Many friends and my doula loved their Bradley classes with Tanya Wills: http://www.naturalbirthnyc.com/about-tanya/

Our class (which again was a little more flexible than traditional bradley classes) focused on what was happening in each stage of the labor/birth process for mama and baby, challenges we could face, possible solutions, issues that might arise in the hospital and/or with hospital protocols, how we would feel about that, what we could do to address/alleviate that, etc.). She talked a lot about questions to ask your provider and how to make sure you and your provider were on the same page. This had a profound impact on my labor and delivery as I switched providers the night before I ended up going into labor, and that decision is what enabled me to have a vaginal delivery.

Husbands/partners were very involved and taught how they could help and advocate throughout labor. This was so important and my DH was great. Even after 40 hours of labor, in the final minutes of pushing when he Dr said he was going to do a small episiotomy (apparently I have tough skin that wasn't stretching or tearing), Dh was like, "wait a minute, she doesn't want an episiotomy". At that point I was like, "DO IT!!!!! GET THIS BABY OUT!!!!" but it was great that DH was so comfortable and empowered advocating for me and was very clear on my wishes/plans for labor.

I completely recommend to anyone experiencing their first birth.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I took a birthing class at work. We have a medical unit on site with several nurses and one of them is a former maternity nurse. It was 4 2hr classes after work. Husbands/BFs/partners could participate. Classes covered anatomy, birthing process, medication, PP care and infant care. I'd say it was an excellent primer on the birth progress with lots of info on home and hospital birth pluses, minuses and risks. She went over all of the various philosophies. We did the breathing exercises which were worthless IMO. The best part was the breakdown of the stages, which allowed me to have a good conversation with my OB about what I wanted and could have in a hospital setting (birthing center with midwife or a doula was not an option bc of DH.) I knew exactly where and at which point I was during labor and was able to have an unmedicated birth as I wished.

If I ever have a next time, I'd do the same labor process again but in a lot calmer state of mind. First time is terrifying.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
I did the typical hospital offered birthing class. I believe it was a six week session, once a week, for 3 hours or so. My favorite part of the class was the last week when we got to go on a your of labor and delivery. Honestly, I think the only thing that prepared me for birth was birth itself.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I took a birthing class that was taught at the hospital that we planned to deliver at. To be perfectly honest, a birthing class can only prepare you for so much. Once you go through L & D, you realize just how much of the whole process is out of your control. Many of the things that you "plan" for simply don't end up working out that way because the bottom line is that mom & baby are healthy (by any means possible). My husband and I actually laughed & joked about the birthing class and how little it had to do with the actual process of having a baby. They made us put clothes pins on our ears and learn to "breathe" through the pain :lol:
Hindsight being 20/20, I suppose that we would have still taken the class (because there was some useful info provided), but I wish that we would have been more open-minded about the whole process (and I think that the birthing class was partly to blame for giving us a false sense of security, thinking that we were "prepared" for the whole experience).

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the responses everyone! I've made a list of questions for my OB to discuss at my next appointment (which is Wednesday).
I do really want DH to feel comfortable advocating for me when I'm too overwhelmed by pain to do so myself. I know that his comfort in doing this will come with education and information. As of now my plan is no plan. I don't really have any specific hopes about how this baby makes his way out as long as we are all in one piece at the end. Of course minimizing pain and intervention would be nice but standing on this side of my first birth experience I don't think I'll be sad if I end up needing intervention (i.e. vacuum, episiotomy, etc). I'm terrified of a C-section, though. I've never had surgery beyond oral surgery and the idea of them cutting me open just makes my blood pressure drop as I type. Reading your responses makes me realize that I do not really know much about the different stages of labor, how to manage pain and keep progress going in each stage, and what is possible in a hospital setting.

I do have a hospital tour scheduled already. I was able to do that outside of any birth class setting through the hospital website. We're going in June. It's only a 15 min tour but I'm guessing it doesn't take long to say "here's a birthing room... here's a recovery room... here's where the baby goes if he needs additional care... here's what the sleeping option looks like for your partner..." My OB practice primarily uses this hospital for deliveries so I can imagine if I have specific follow-up questions after the tour that can't be answered there then I'll ask at a regular appointment.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
I thought of something I wanted to add. One thing my class didn't prepare me for AT ALL was pushing. Everything was focused on what happened until that point ("Okay so once you get through all this you will be 10cm dilated and it's time to push! The end."). I mean once you get to 10 you still have to get the baby out some how. I know you can't really practice pushing, but I would have liked to have more discussion on it. I had to push for nearly 3 hours and wasn't prepared, mentally or physically. Did you know that all of that pushing can give you the world's worst heartburn? Or that it can make you (repeatedly) barf? When B finally came out, I wasn't excited or happy to meet him or anything. My only thought was "thank GOD that is over." I definitely wasn't prepared for that emotion.

Having said all that, I would definitely do some sort of class. At the very least, you'll meet some other people going through the exact same thing as you. I also thought it was sort of a right of passage.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Clairitek|1398109554|3657289 said:
Thanks for the responses everyone! I've made a list of questions for my OB to discuss at my next appointment (which is Wednesday).
I do really want DH to feel comfortable advocating for me when I'm too overwhelmed by pain to do so myself. I know that his comfort in doing this will come with education and information. As of now my plan is no plan. I don't really have any specific hopes about how this baby makes his way out as long as we are all in one piece at the end. Of course minimizing pain and intervention would be nice but standing on this side of my first birth experience I don't think I'll be sad if I end up needing intervention (i.e. vacuum, episiotomy, etc). I'm terrified of a C-section, though. I've never had surgery beyond oral surgery and the idea of them cutting me open just makes my blood pressure drop as I type. Reading your responses makes me realize that I do not really know much about the different stages of labor, how to manage pain and keep progress going in each stage, and what is possible in a hospital setting.

I do have a hospital tour scheduled already. I was able to do that outside of any birth class setting through the hospital website. We're going in June. It's only a 15 min tour but I'm guessing it doesn't take long to say "here's a birthing room... here's a recovery room... here's where the baby goes if he needs additional care... here's what the sleeping option looks like for your partner..." My OB practice primarily uses this hospital for deliveries so I can imagine if I have specific follow-up questions after the tour that can't be answered there then I'll ask at a regular appointment.

Wise choice to have no plan. I really feel that my first birthing experience would have been so much more pleasant if I would have been more open-minded (and more knowledgeable about the fact that you can't plan a birth). My hospital birthing class frowned upon things like epidurals, internal monitoring, etc. (things that required an "intervention" of sorts, that took away from a more natural birthing experience). They had us type and print (in multiples) a detailed birthing plan to hand to hospital staff. Mine included things like no epidural, no internal monitoring, no episiotomy, etc. From the moment I entered the hospital (my water broke and I was rushed in), the baby's heart rate crashed and I had to have an internal monitor put in and I remember telling the doctor that it wasn't part of my plan…. You quickly realize that the only thing that matters is healthy baby/healthy mommy and while it's great to educate yourself, it's also okay if things don't go according to plan.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
amc80|1398113313|3657318 said:
I thought of something I wanted to add. One thing my class didn't prepare me for AT ALL was pushing. Everything was focused on what happened until that point ("Okay so once you get through all this you will be 10cm dilated and it's time to push! The end."). I mean once you get to 10 you still have to get the baby out some how. I know you can't really practice pushing, but I would have liked to have more discussion on it. I had to push for nearly 3 hours and wasn't prepared, mentally or physically. Did you know that all of that pushing can give you the world's worst heartburn? Or that it can make you (repeatedly) barf? When B finally came out, I wasn't excited or happy to meet him or anything. My only thought was "thank GOD that is over." I definitely wasn't prepared for that emotion.

Having said all that, I would definitely do some sort of class. At the very least, you'll meet some other people going through the exact same thing as you. I also thought it was sort of a right of passage.

A close friend of mine had her second kid a year ago and told me that she really feels like she was able to get through it without an epidural because she had already experienced birth once and knew how to push. Like you, with her first she felt like she just had no idea how to use the contractions effectively and then adding to the fact that she didnt really FEEL them due to an epidural she wasn't really working with her body.

Momhappy- My OB has been so darn laid back (I have the chance of delivery with any one of 5 doctors but I mostly see one of them) that it would floor me if they required a typed detailed birth plan. Adding to the list of things to discuss is what they expect for information from me.

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
I am a natural born researcher so I just read a lot of books, from all different perspectives and we took a free birthing overview class for DH. It was all stuff I already heard before but I think it was good for DH.

RE: birth plans- I've heard they don't even look at them anyway (or don't have time to). Your best bet is to give an overview of how you want to approach things with the nurse when you get there. If you are uncomfortable with the nurse you get, you can always request a different one. But once the s*** hits the fan, you really aren't going to be able to follow something you wrote when you weren't in labor, it's just a whole different scenario. And there are so many variables that come up. But it's still a good idea to research it all so when unexpected situations come up, you will at least have a little information to go on.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I'm guessing that many doctors & nurses probably don't even look at birth plans - and some of them probably even laugh :lol: I understand the concept and I suppose it could be a helpful guide, but at the end of the day, unless you are a trained medical professional, you really have no idea about what sorts of things you might need and when. There's desires/wants and then there's need/reality.
And as far as epidurals are concerned, different hospitals use different medications, so they are not all the same. The epidural at my hospital was wonderful. I could still feel pain and I knew exactly when to push, but it took away the debilitating pain so that I could function and focus on the "work" that is required to birth a baby. My sister's epidural, however, was entirely different. She felt no pain and had to be told when to push.

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m sure not all birth classes are created equal. What I found most valuable in the one I participated in is the information made DH feel comfortable with the experience. DH getting to tour the hospital and having a general idea of what to expect was huge. The L&D nurse who ran our class really pounded home DH’s job was to support me and listen. He knew that but he needed to hear it, you know?

Other than that though, I think a lot of the ones run by the hospital have pretty outdated materials. The video we watched in mine had a scene in a woman’s home. She had a C-section so I think they were showing her newly post-partum at home or something. Anyway, the hubby was wearing Z.Cavaricci pants (or something like that) and there was a Tupac poster on the wall. So, circa 1995 maybe? Yes, these are the things I notice while I’m supposed to be paying attention material that is important to my well being. I can’t help it. It’s the little things like that though that make you wonder how much time and effort and resources the hospitals put into the classes.

Not all births are chaotic and complicated and you do have some control over the experience so I believe in arming yourself with information. My birth plan went out the window somewhat because my labors were short (phew!) but I felt a sense of control and confidence going in and that was important. I would not write your birth plan and give to the staff but instead make sure DH has a thorough understanding of what you want. DH can then express your wishes as needed. He'll probably need a list though! :lol:

Good luck!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Clairitek|1398109554|3657289 said:

I think it's a great plan to not have a plan. That said, my hospital gave me a "preferences" list to check off things I did or did not want. For example, I checked off that "yes" I did want access to a balance ball, and several other items to help me through labor positions. Then there were the usual options as far as interventions. ETA: and yes, my doctor read my preference list and he did not laugh at it.

And no, you won't REALLY know what it's like until you go through it. But taking a class does NOT hurt, and does the best job to prepare you aside from the real thing. Kind of like studying for a driver's license--you can read about it all you like, but until you actually drive the car you don't get the "feel" of it.

It is ok to want things to go a certain way and to mentally strengthen yourself for a particular plan. The trick is mentally preparing yourself for if the plan doesn't happen. Always have a plan B, C, and D.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
I found having a birth plan very helpful. My midwife and the delivery nurses read the plan and asked me questions to be sure they were clear on my preferences (which was very efficient, since in by going into labor early I had not yet had a prenatal visit with my midwife).

Having said that, my birthplan was 1 page front and back double spaced with line breaks between each section. It was formatted so it was easy to scan (each topic bolded, bulleted, and separated by white space, etc.) and it started with "My number one goal is healthy mom and healthy baby"...and included a bullet point on my preferences in case of a c-section if that occurred.

Creating the birth plan taught me a lot about what was important to me and an exercise we did in the birthing class where the teacher gave us cards with different preferences (E.g. skin to skin, water birth, breast feeding, epidural, vaginal delivery, natural birth, no drugs, artificial breaking of membranes, going past 40 weeks...) and kept taking them away until we could only keep 2 cards. Those helped us understand our highest priorities. For me, that was breast feeding and vaginal delivery, and my whole labor team worked very hard to safely make sure that I could have those if at all possible; but I was also very prepared for if other interventions were necessary.

I had wanted a natural delivery (initially at home, but eventually I decided to deliver at a small hospital 10 minutes away from my home in NYC) with no drugs, not even a heploc, and the lowest interventions possible, and planned to use water (tub and.or shower) to help with laboring and pain management.

I ended up at that small hospital with the midwife I wanted but I hated the shower, wasn't able to use the tub, was hooked up to a full scale IV for my entire 40 hour labor (group B strep positive and hyperemesis--so I was on a constant saline drip and had IV antibiotics pushed every 4 hours), had 24 hours of natural labor and then 16 more with epi and pitocin, IV zofran, continuous fetal monitoring, several "scares" with meconium, elevated temps, and fetal heart dropping, an episiotomy, and vacuum assistance...and I was thrilled with my labor. I understood what was happening, trusted my provider, knew what my options were, and was able to talk with my provider to make informed decisions.

My take aways were:

Educate yourself and your partner (I would recommend a Bradley class, Ina May's Guide to Child Birth, and Natural Hospital Birth: The best of both worlds)
Make a plan
trust your provider
Be flexible and prepared for anything

PilsnPinkysMom

Brilliant_Rock
I know this is veering off topic, but I wanted to include my 2 cents on birth plans.

I planned for a midwife/birth center birth, and in the end, couldn't have it. So I wrote out a birth plan and took it to the hospital. I realize that in an emergency situation it might go RIGHT out the window, but if your labor and delivery are straight forward, it could come in handy. My nurses were all very familiar with the plan, it was printed out in my room, and it was respected. I ended up needing pit and requesting an epidural, and my plan said if in "extreme circumstances" I needed an epi ( :cheeky: :cheeky: :lol: :lol: ) I wanted it to be light or "walking-epidural" cocktail. I called for an epidural. While speechlessly battling intense Pitocin contractions, I heard my nurse say to the anesthesiologist, "She doesn't want a standard epidural..We should talk to her..." and I barked out, "NO. I WANT THE REAL ONE." But the point is- that nurse knew my plan! And totally respected it. And wanted to make sure the other care providers knew about it, even when I had a hard time saying what I wanted.

Our birth classes were a bit hippy dippy, spread out over way too many weeks (5?) My favorite part was the hands-on partner training. But really, I didn't learn anything from those classes that I didn't know from reading books. My husband liked the practical parts. And I liked that we learned how to hand express colostrum/milk.

PilsnPinkysMom

Brilliant_Rock
monarch64|1397853789|3655675 said:
.... I'm 75% through a class that meets once a week right now and I couldn't tell you what was covered the first few weeks because I've already forgotten.

TOTALLY veering off course (Sorry, Ctek!)... but... I have to ask... Monnie, Is there any reason you're in a birth prep class right now? :confused: :naughty: ;)) ::) Have I missed some big news?

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PilsnPinkysMom|1398304494|3658871 said:
.... I'm 75% through a class that meets once a week right now and I couldn't tell you what was covered the first few weeks because I've already forgotten.

TOTALLY veering off course (Sorry, Ctek!)... but... I have to ask... Monnie, Is there any reason you're in a birth prep class right now? :confused: :naughty: ;)) ::) Have I missed some big news?

Hahahaha! I got a message recently asking me the same thing! Sorry, guys, I meant a general class, not a birthing class. To be completely specific/transparent, it's my county's Master Gardening class! I didn't even think when I posted that others might assume I was pregnant again. My bad! I promise I'll let everyone know if there is a next time! :wavey:

ETA: reading the last several responses, thought to post a link to the PDF of the birth preference list my hospital REQUESTED I fill out and give to them. Seems times have changed in the last decade and doctors don't laugh at expectant parents who would like to communicate their preferences--there is a huge difference between that and demanding that your birth go according to what you've dreamed your experience will be like.

http://iuhealth.org/images/blo-doc-upl/MyBirthWishesChecklist.pdf

PilsnPinkysMom

Brilliant_Rock
monarch64|1398305415|3658880 said:

Hahahaha! I got a message recently asking me the same thing! Sorry, guys, I meant a general class, not a birthing class. To be completely specific/transparent, it's my county's Master Gardening class! I didn't even think when I posted that others might assume I was pregnant again. My bad! I promise I'll let everyone know if there is a next time! :wavey:

ETA: reading the last several responses, thought to post a link to the PDF of the birth preference list my hospital REQUESTED I fill out and give to them. Seems times have changed in the last decade and doctors don't laugh at expectant parents who would like to communicate their preferences--there is a huge difference between that and demanding that your birth go according to what you've dreamed your experience will be like.

Ooops! I feel silly and am realizing that question was pretty intrusive/personal. But the reality is actually pretty awesome! How cool!!! What sort of stuff does the class review, from what you remember from the last couple weeks? (Or I realize this is fodder for a totally different thread at a different time! We should make one!)

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PilsnPinkysMom|1398305972|3658886 said:
monarch64|1398305415|3658880 said:

Ooops! I feel silly and am realizing that question was pretty intrusive/personal. But the reality is actually pretty awesome! How cool!!! What sort of stuff does the class review, from what you remember from the last couple weeks? (Or I realize this is fodder for a totally different thread at a different time! We should make one!)

Oh, no worries, PPM! That is a totally normal question to ask around here!
Real quickly, the course is designed as part of a volunteer program and covers everything you'd need to know in your area or hardiness zone to help with projects in the community, or even just your neighbors. We've covered lawn care, rain gardens, entomology, wildlife management, soils and plant nutrition, vegetable gardening, landscape design, and composting so far. (I had my notes handy, ha!) I love it. Look up your county extension office and see if they offer this program! It's national!

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Bella, PPM, and Monnie for your take on the written birth plan. It's really interesting to hear the details on what you planned for, how your health care provider reacted to it, and how things happened in the end. I'll keep that in mind.

I had an appointment with my ob yesterday. She told me that she really likes this course and book offered by a local RN who used to work at the hospital I will deliver in. She said that it's similar to the Bradley courses and that the book is great. She recommends the book to any couples who aren't planning on a more formal class. This particular doctor in my practice is known locally for being more pro-low intervention than most obs. So based on this information I think I'm going to do my hospitals usual birth class combined with a careful reading of this book (McMoyler Method). This ob knows both mine and my husband's propensity for research and scientific basis for decision-making so I trust her recommendation. A bittersweet tidbit I learned at my appointment is that this doctor is pregnant with her first baby a month before I'm due so it's very unlikely she'll be the one delivering my baby (bummer) but I'm thrilled for her!

PPM- I'd be the one that messaged Monnie to ask if she had slipped that baby by us! I read it the same way you did!

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
We took an abbreviated (maybe 4-6 hour) class through our local hospital system. I thought it was useful to learn about the different stages of labor and the amazing things the baby and your body do to deliver. I also knew that I definitely wanted an epidural, so I didn't do any of the unmedicated birth classes. I also didn't have a birth plan, but I trusted that my OB would do all he or she could to prevent a c-section. Like Bella, I had Group B strep, my water broke at home, and they found meconium- so my initial desire to labor at home for as long as I could went out the door.

Fortunately, I had a fairly easy delivery (pushed for 20 mins), but one thing they didn't tell me was that I could administer the epidural myself...so the epi ran out at the end. Also, because no one told me, I thought the pain was normal and didn't have local anesthesia when I was being stitched up. THAT hurt like nobody's business and not an experience I care to ever repeat.

Congratulations and good luck!

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
haha Logan, Same thing with my epi (which was "light" to begin with as I could still fully feel my legs through the whole thing). During the last few hours, and pushing, my epi had run out and I guess the nurse told me I could push the button for a dose (DH says she said that) but I have no memory of it and didn't push the button, so in the end I think I pretty much experienced all the "feelings" of a natural birth:)

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
I learned that the push button epi is what I'll get at the hospital where I'm to deliver. I had never heard of such a thing and I'm quite excited about it so I can have some control over what I feel and what I don't feel.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Clairitek said:
I learned that the push button epi is what I'll get at the hospital where I'm to deliver. I had never heard of such a thing and I'm quite excited about it so I can have some control over what I feel and what I don't feel.

Don't be afraid to use it. I had the same thing and would forget about it. Duh.

NonieMarie

Brilliant_Rock
I took Bradley classes but that was over 30 years ago. It sounds like they are more flexible now. She was early and had lung problems so I couldn't use my midwife and had to be transferred. The one thing I wish I knew was when you are pushing don't hold on to anything. I held on to the bars, lifting myself off the bed as I pushed and could not lift my arms for days.

missrachelk

Shiny_Rock
My experience was definitely more 'hippy dippy' than most, but I really enjoyed it and the experience definitely helped me and especially my husband. We took Hypnobabies, 6 classes of 3 hours each, and did the home study work afterwards.

The information is very factual and a lot of further reading is offered, if you're interested (studies etc) Personally, I was already aware of most of what we went over, but it was good for my DH to hear it from someone other than me. The first 3/4 of each class was all about birth and the last part was the hypnosis training.

The actual hypnosis part wasn't 'the thing' for me like it can be with some moms, but I do think the training and especially the affirmations helped me to stay positive, and trust in my body. I'm hoping to do the work more this time and work with a doula and hope to be more into the hypnosis part.

That being said, my husband was really annoyed by the teacher. If it's possible to meet them ahead of time it's worth it! We still joke about the phrases she always used!

As far as birth plans go and how they go over with your provider - who you choose as your provider and place of birth will make a HUGE difference. I know for certain that I would have been treated like some type of alien at some hospitals in my area, but with my midwives practice and at the hospital they deliver at, I was just one more patient, with typical requests.

This time I"m going to skip the long narrative and just make a list of what I'd like and what I don't want:
for example - Don't offer me pain relief, I will ask if needed

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results