shape
carat
color
clarity

22k gold for careful everyday ring. MoZo, I need pics!

JaneSmith

Brilliant_Rock
I am thinking of getting a big thick 22k yellow gold ring with gypsy or flush bezel set diamonds. I just love the idea of a huge deeply golden wedding ring. I love high karat gold and want something that looks regal.
I am careful with my rings, and only had my 18k white gold ering polished and dipped after nine years. I wear an eternity band for my wedding ring now, and always take it off for any activity like dishes, cooking, private jet maintenance (ha), etc.
Would I bend a 10mm wide ring if I made a tight fist? That is probably my biggest concern.

MovieZombie, I know you have that gorgeous 22k gold and spess ering. I looked for your reveal thread but the pics aren't there anymore. Do you have them somewhere? I'd love a comparison of new and now. I'd also love for you to tell me how often you wear your ring and how you take care of i, pretty please.

If anyone else has a 22k ring they wear, please show and tell!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
image_1108.jpg

Jane, I have these three that I wear daily, all 24k. They get dented and scratched. But I think it's safe enough for a stone as long as it's embedded in there.

Go to this website:

http://www.justgold.cc/justgold/html/hk/en/category/2015.jsp

or www.justgold.cc Make sure you choose English, and choose the Hong Kong store. They have the most collections to view.

It's a website for a jewelry store in Asia, where they do modern pieces with 24k, and it's all pretty safe, as long as you don't expect the jewelry piece to be undinged or unscratched. When I wear my 24k daily, I expect it will be. I don't think 22k will be much different. And on the hands, even more so. Necklaces and earrings are more protected.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
a wide 22k gold band is fine.
my spess is semi-bezel set so a full bezel should be fine as well.
the only time 22k gold wouldn't be advisable is for a thin thin thin band or prongs.
also, I went with a euro-shank which I think makes it comfy to wear and it is going to flatten on the underside anyway.

it is a very old thread and seems the pictures didn't come forward into the future.

10 mm wide but not too thin will be just fine.......

I don't wear the ring 24/7 but that is because of the spess, not the 22k gold.
care? I don't do much at all. high karat gold just doesn't require a lot of spiffing up, especially hammered.
periodically it does see a jewelers clothe but not even once a year.
because it is hammered it doesn't show dings.
and dings only enhance it. you don't chip out gold but merely move it around.
I put it on when I leave the house and take it off when I return.
it goes to the farmers' market, the garden center, bowling, etc.

you will have to worry more about the stone you put into it than you will the setting.....

no then/now pictures. looks the same to me.

do you have a picture of what you're considering?

eta: polished it will definitely show more scratching but it is 22k gold and who cares? I wouldn't.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
stone is not windowed despite how the picture looks. your idea of 22k wide thick band with bezeled diamonds would be lovely! but I'd go hammered gold.

garry_pic.jpg

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
movie zombie|1398233960|3658387 said:
stone is not windowed despite how the picture looks. your idea of 22k wide thick band with bezeled diamonds would be lovely! but I'd go hammered gold.

OMG !!!! :love: :love: :love: :love:
I've never seen this picture !!! :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

garry_pic__large_.jpg

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
thanks!

the 18k bridge beneath the stone wouldn't be required with a full bezel/gypsy setting.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My DH wears a 24K gold band and he is careful to reshape it by hand once a while since it gets out of round easily. He doesn't wear it everyday - he only wears it to work (desk job) and when we go out on the weekends.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
chrono, how many mm's is his band?
even my 18k 2mm band is no longer circular.

JaneSmith

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you all for your very helpful replies! :)) Gorgeous rings ladies! MZ, I had no idea yours sat up so high. Very cool.

I'm thinking of something like these:

_17252.jpg

_17253.jpg

_17254.jpg

_17255.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
movie zombie|1398298882|3658824 said:
chrono, how many mm's is his band?
even my 18k 2mm band is no longer circular.

3 to 4 mm. I don't think it is any wider than 4 mm.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
yes, 24k is going to be softer and because it is only 3-4mm wide it will show a bit.
like I said my 18k 2mm wedding band that I wear with my spess e-ring certainly is no longer a perfect round.

I find that the spess setting in 22k gold is so very wide that I just don't have the issue. I do think it has flatted a bit where it is euroshanked but that happens with almost any ring.

Jane, I love the bezeled ring! it looks substantial and I don't think you'd have to worry about it becoming misshaped in 22k.
a lot is going to depend on how often you wear the ring and if 24/7 I might worry about smaller stones gypsy set.....but then I think any stone gypsy set that is small in size could be dislodged from 18k gold if struck "just right/wrong".
the bezeled stone will be just fine.

I would suggest having the inside of the setting polished just for ease of removing and putting on.

repeating myself: over time with lots of wear the setting will get dings. it is possible you will notice the dings more on a textured setting than on a hammered. hammering doesn't have to be as obvious as it is on my ring. it can be much more subtle....but then my ring isn't subtle at all!

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
Movie Zombie- so just for clarification, are you saying a 2mm 22kt plain ring would NOT hold up well as a wedding ring worn at least 50% of the time?

I love the richer color of the higher karat gold and was thinking of getting a 2mm 22kt gold ring, but perhaps not a good idea in this width?

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
my 18k 2mm wedding band is no longer a perfect round.
I wear it 24/7 and have done so now for 10+ years.
but it is not horribly mangled/disfigured/unwearable/ugly.
it is only noticeable if I take it off and lay it down. and even then it isn't "horrible".

so, yes, a 22k 2mm band is not going to stay perfectly round.

but like I do with my 18k 2mm band, you can turn it if it doesn't already turn enough on your finger and this will help it to retain its shape.

to be honest, I don't think it that important that a 2mm band whether 22k or 18k needs to be perfectly round. it looks just fine on my finger. but if it is that important to you I'd take it in and have a jeweler bring it back into a perfect round if you found that turning it or the movement on your finger wasn't doing the trick.

I would LOVE to have a 2mm 22k gold band and may just have to get one....or even 24k gold. a perfectly round ring just isn't that important to me. and as I said earlier, all rings if not turned end up being flattened on the bottom over time...hence, my going to a euro shank for the large spess setting....also keeps such a large/tall ring from spinning on the finger.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results