shape
carat
color
clarity

Flaws on GIA Reference Diagram

endlessfin1te

Rough_Rock
Hey guys,

I just bought this diamond and it's on its way. As I anxiously await its arrival I re-read the GIA report and noticed there are two "kinks" on the 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock legs of the star, and the same place on the table in the corresponding face-up view diagram.

http://www.gia.edu/cs/Satellite?pagename=GST%2FDispatcher&childpagename=GIA%2FPage%2FReportCheck&c=Page&cid=1355954554547&reportno=5156875654

My question is...I thought the diagrams are only for plotting inclusions and do not tell much about the cut quality of the stones. Is the imperfection I'm seeing going to affect the light return of the stone or its valuation? It's an 0.6 on HC otherwise, but what good is HCA if the arrow is not cut perfectly :???: It's my first diamond purchase and I'm really worried.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since it's on it's way, perhaps you can be reassured by knowing that it's going to be beautiful. It has wonderful light performance.

by the way - at least on my computer the link you provided does not show any diamond photo or plot.

endlessfin1te

Rough_Rock
Haha...if there was no return policy, you are right I should probably make peace with it.

You have to click on the "download PDF" on the upper right to see the diagrams on the actual GIA report.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I do not understand the concern. I see nothing unusual about the plot.

Yes, the purpose of the plot is only to identify and locate clarity characteristics and blemishes. It is not designed to tell you anything about light performance other than the fact that there are multiple diagrams representing distinctly different facet arrangements.

Also, the HCA tool is not designed to tell you anything about faceting precision. There are other tools for that.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
You do not need perfect hearts and arrows to get a beautiful diamond with great or ideal performance . If you wanted perfect hearts and arrows you would have needed an arrows image and a hearts image from the vendor on a stone that was guaranteed to have that faceting. It doesn't just happen. But like I said, you don't need perfect hearts and arrows. And hearts and arrows are not a guarantee of performance. Faceting, even precision faceting, is distinct and separate from light performance, which is a function of angles.

Please read my posts and other's in this thread, hopefully that will help you: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/likelihood-of-finding-a-signature-super-ideal-diamond.174235/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/likelihood-of-finding-a-signature-super-ideal-diamond.174235/[/URL]

TitanCi

Brilliant_Rock
Most stones have "hearts" and "arrows" to some degree, but it depends on how optically symmetrical and precise they're cut.

Personally, I can't see your links as I am using tapatalk, but if the others are saying you're ok... You're ok. Light performance is looking great, so don't worry. :)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You cannot tell a thing about light performance from a GIA report. I don't even understand the original question. I do not see any "kinks" in the plot. All you see is the inclusion right in the center of the table and one pinpoint on the pavilion side. Since it is VS1, there are no concerns regarding clarity. You need an idealscope image or ASET to tell anything about light performance.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1398296028|3658800 said:
You cannot tell a thing about light performance from a GIA report.

Huh?

The posted GIA report shows Depth %, Table %, Crown Angle and Pavilion Angle.
This can tell much more than "a thing" about light performance.

Plug all four into the HCA.

_320.png

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kenny, come on, surely you know that stones with those measurements can have leakage. The HCA is a screener only. It doesn't mean that all stones that score below 2 are worth buying. And GIA certainly doesn't grade light performance. So you need something besides a GIA report to assess it.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't even consider a stone with a 14% crown height...that just me!.. ::)

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
kenny|1398298423|3658822 said:
You cannot tell a thing about light performance from a GIA report.
Huh?

The posted GIA report shows Depth %, Table %, Crown Angle and Pavilion Angle.
This can tell much more than "a thing" about light performance.

Plug all four into the HCA.
Kenny, I think the intent of the comment DS made was based upon the fact that OP's post indicates a concern about faceting precision, which was my read as well. If the OP had said, do you think this is a going to be a pretty stone?, I think there would be different responses.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You cannot tell a thing about light performance from a GIA report. I don't even understand the original question. I do not see any "kinks" in the plot. All you see is the inclusion right in the center of the table and one pinpoint on the pavilion side. Since it is VS1, there are no concerns regarding clarity. You need an idealscope image or ASET to tell anything about light performance.

I agree IS or ASET are needed to get the whole story about light performance.

But, "You cannot tell a thing about light performance from a GIA report." is a huge absolute, an exaggeration that is not true.
Instead, I'd agree that, "A GIA report doesn't tell you everything about light performance." or, "A GIA report doesn't tell you enough about light performance to make a buying decision."

Next the OP's link is to a GIA report for a 1.24 ct E VVS1.
There is a cloud and two pinpoints.
None of them are at 10:00 or 2:00 and do not look anything like 'kinks'.
BTW, the VVS1 inclusions are nothing for 99.987421% of people to worry about.

Very perplexing.
Perhaps the OP linked to the wrong report, but then the specs on that report do give an HCA of 0.6.

OP, what do you mean by kinks at 10 and 2?
?????

screen_shot_2014-04-24_at_10.png

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wonder if table inclusions are reflecting at the 10 and 2 oclock positions. In high clarity shouldn't see with the naked
eye though.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pyramid|1398360880|3659245 said:
Wonder if table inclusions are reflecting at the 10 and 2 oclock positions. In high clarity shouldn't see with the naked
eye though.

But the OP doesn't even have the diamond yet, and explicitly referred to what was on the GIA report.

endlessfin1te

Rough_Rock

Sorry guys, I got the diamond today...the kinks I saw online are not present on the report...weird =.=

What is wrong with low crown heights?

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
endlessfin1te|1398363136|3659263 said:
Sorry guys, I got the diamond today...the kinks I saw online are not present on the report...weird =.=
I see. The highlights on the diagram explain what you meant by kinks. I was at a loss- I have heard diamonds referred to as "sexy" before, but never "kinky".

Then I thought you might be referring to the adverts that display on the site where your diagram is hosted.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:lol: TL!

OP...I believe that is a standard plot diagram and is not an explicit drawing of your particular stone.

If you look at some top cut quality diamonds such as WhiteFlash ACA's, you'll see that most have a higher crown height and usually the crown angle is between 34 and 35. Stones with low crown height and crown angles have more of a flat look from the profile view. That is why I aim for measurements that are similar to top cut quality stones. But as I said before, since you were concerned about cut quality in your original question, can you request an idealscope image of your diamond?

endlessfin1te

Rough_Rock
I got the stone from Zoara.com. While their customer service is good, the information they can still depend on the actual vendors. I requested idealscope and ASET prior to purchasing, but they couldn't offer anything other than actual photos. The price was really competitive and based on all I've learned on PS and the information I had available so I decided to check it out in person.

I did however ordered my own expert kit on ideal-scope.com :p It will be here tomorrow, fingers crossed for an amazing ASET!

CanuckAB

Shiny_Rock
Pictures??? :wavey:

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
The "kinks" are some display adapter issue. I can make one of my laptops do that but at different locations on the plot.

kink2.jpg

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now everyone will be clamoring for a Kinky Diamond :naughty:

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Jimmianne|1398374010|3659366 said:
Now everyone will be clamoring for a Kinky Diamond :naughty:
It does have some marketing possibilities:

Don't settle for a dinky diamond - insist on a Kinky Diamond