shape
carat
color
clarity

Whiteflash studs, 1.6 ctw, keep or go bigger now?

Whiteflash 1.6 ctw studs in. Keep or go bigger now and why?

• Keep these and just plan on upgrading. It will easily take three years before I can move both up to

Votes: 18 52.9%
  • Go for the bigger 1.1 carat e-ring stone, and the beautiful E, I1 now. (I haven't forgotten about i

Votes: 16 47.1%

• Total voters

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Everyone,

My first pair of studs, ever, just arrived from Whiteflash. 1.6 ctw, both I, VS2s, expert selection. I like them, I think. But I must admit, I was looking for bigger. There, I've said it. Ugh...I really have DSS. I think it was a little bigger than I expected. But it wasn't as big as I wanted. KWIM?? Is that a bad sign, that I'm already looking to move to the next size up, which would be at least a carat each? What do you guys do when the first reaction you have isn't what you expect? Do you wait and see if you change your mind, or do you just move on to another option? If you don't love it right away, do you grow to love it? I've read so many threads about how people love their studs and that they are their best purchase. I'm not feeling that way about these. I definitely think of these as temporary and settling a little, given my other option. But maybe that is ok, for now.

For me, I paid quite a bit for stones that aren't even that high in color and clarity compared to what I'm used to. So I expected that I would TOTALLY love them when I saw them. Truthfully, I wasn't floored. They were nice. They're pretty and sparkly. I don't really detect much color. They look appropriate for every day wear. But I do want bigger. And strangely enough, I don't see that big of a difference in the sparkle compared to ering or my other stone. (I wonder what is wrong with me???)

Given that I'm not excited as I hoped to be, I haven't closed myself off to the option of setting my original e-ring stone. And using the E, I1 to match. I know that I said I would feel badly setting my ering stone in an earring, but seeing what I'm getting for what I paid, maybe I don't feel so badly after all. And upgrading with Whiteflash to 1 carat each is not an option now. Won't have that kind of money for at least 3 years, if I'm lucky.

Just cause I don't want to bore everyone with the details on a matching stone I found, here is the original thread.
http://www.pricescope.com/forum/roc...-my-matching-stud-help-please-t200469-30.html

Here are the pics. Of course, first the professional ones...

wf_6-prong_2.jpg

wf_6-prong_1.jpg

Here are some poorly lit ones taken tonight. Had to post them while I had time.

dsc_0128_0.jpg
dsc_0122.jpg

dsc_0123_0.jpg

dsc_0138.jpg

dsc_0151.jpg

dsc_0153.jpg

image_1597.jpg

My current plan is to wear them for a week or so, and see how I feel about them. I can return the six-prong setting without problem as they are part of the regular stock. I also hope my ears will be ok with the platinum setting too.

I welcome all opinions, upgrade strategies, psychology lessons, etc. ;))

Thank you, my PS support/enabler group...

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
While reading your story I felt that you had already given the answer. You seem to prefer setting your original e-ring stone (great idea by the way!)

But... Then I saw the pics!!!! And this size studs looks ridiculously beautiful on you :love: . You have such tiny earlobes and the sparkly Whiteflash studs fill them up nicely :wavey: . They look really stunning on you and suitable for everyday wear.

Soooo... not sure what to vote yet.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree - the size seems beautiful on the ear! I certainly think they would be noticeable. Sometimes there is such a thing as too big - KWIM? You don't want them looking like discs hanging off the ear. I would think they would be great for right now and you can always save for a future upgrade.

Wear them for a bit and then see what you think. Listen to the compliments that you get. I think we all have preconceived notions of what something we really want will look like and then we have to adjust to reality a bit when it arrives. You were thinking your ering stone was looking too small at one point but I think now your eyes have adjusted and you realize just how big it really is!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The size seems good to me too, but you could always bling them out with jackets. That said, your plan of living with them for a week before making a decision seems like a sound one.

facetgirl

Brilliant_Rock
I'd wear them for a week and see what happens - they look amazing on you.

I wouldn't even go up down the road- they look that good!

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the size looks great on your ears. I say give it a week to see how you are feeling then.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As for the cut and sparkle factor, I guess it really shows that a well cut stone is a well cut stone. You have a well cut stone In your ering and yet I think we are lulled into thinking that some of the super ideals will literally jump out of the box at us. The Expert Selection stones are very well cut and generally just missed the ACA by a smidge. However, and I think it is a lesson for us all, they are not lightening bolts. They are just very well cut stones after all so don't be down on yourself for expecting so much more.

What they do is sparkle all over your ears! The more I look at the pictures the more I feel that they are the perfect size for your lobes. I'm not just saying that - I think they are gorgeous on you!

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think you really prefer the E I1 diamond so I didn't vote as ultimately it's what you like that counts. But your current pair looks a great size on your ears too.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can 100% relate because mine are 1.6 ctw, too! I also feel that I would be happier with 1 ct. However, the price jump at a carat has held me back, because it would cost about double to go from 6.0mm to 6.5mm! I think these look really pretty on you, though!

I still think you made the right decision. Use that e-ring diamond for either a pendant or a RHR with three stones or something. I wouldn't put a VS stone with an I1. I'd rather get a simulant stone to pair with it than an I1. Or just a simulant pair, period.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The heart wants what the heart wants and your seem to want 1ct in each ear. Just give into it :naughty:.

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
baby monster|1398261286|3658508 said:
The heart wants what the heart wants and your seem to want 1ct in each ear. Just give into it :naughty:.

I'm totally with baby monster, 100%. Just do it & be done with it.

The WF ES stones look great on you, both size & sparkle! :love: :love:

I just received my 3 stone reset with ES E sides, paired with my E center. I have another ACA ring, & those ES sides stand up beautifully in comparison to the ACA's!

But---if your heart already says 1ct ea, then just be done with it & do it!! :appl:
sarahb

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi LLJsmom :wavey:

I think you know what my vote will be. If you have DSS now, it's going to be worse in 6 months. There's an appreciable jump from .8 to 1.1ct stones, and if this is the look you're after, then there's really no alternative to it other than going up in size.

So...I'll repeat what I said in the earlier thread; get the E I1 to go with your e-ring stone. Then down the track, look for a second E I1 and re-set your e-ring stone. It's a nice project that gives you what you want in the short term - as well as what you want in the long term. And how can you beat that? :)

Will be following this journey with you!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sarahb|1398263054|3658521 said:

I just received my 3 stone reset with ES E sides, paired with my E center. I have another ACA ring, & those ES sides stand up beautifully in comparison to the ACA's!

But---if your heart already says 1ct ea, then just be done with it & do it!! :appl:
sarahb

Not to thread jack but you know we are going to need a thread and pictures of your new three stone ring!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also think that these look large on your dainty earlobes, I'd say they look like 1ct each. However, performance wise, didn't one stone have an HCA of more than 2? But hey what do I know?! The folks at WF must have thought that they were good enough to be given the ES designation.

I'd personally send them back and save up for a matched larger pair in the future. I think this has been my suggestion all along.

However, this is about YOU and if you really don't mind matching an I1 with your original e-ring stone and you feel that the performance of the I1 stone is comparable to your e-ring stone, and more importantly that this larger pair would satisfy your desire - which hasn't wavered - for larger studs, then go ahead. So, I actually voted for the second option now.

tweeter8177

Brilliant_Rock
Hi! :wavey:

My thoughts are if you didn't throw those bad boys in your ear and say "OMG I love these!", then I don't think you will grow to love them! :cry: They do look beautiful on you though! I am guessing it isn't the lack of sparkle that is bugging you, it is that you have your heart set on a certain size. I would hate for you to keep them but regret that decision and not wear them! I would go back to look at the E I1 again and see what your reaction is when you put it on your ear. If it immediately makes you happy, then you have your answer. Or it might help you figure out what you really want to do?

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi,

Have you tried 1 ct stones on in person? I do think the ones you got look perfect on you, but if you're not happy now, I doubt you'll learn to love them. I'd first go to a jewelry store that has well-cut stones and try on the size you think you want and make sure that size will be perfect for you before deciding what to do next. Then, I'd probably keep them till you can trade them up if a) you don't own any studs and b) will wear these often enough to justify having spent the $$$$ on them.

Also, are you sure you're a stud gal? Many of us do love studs, but I've read of others who just don't wear them, so it's not worth it to put the $ into them.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
This size looks amazing on your ear, and I think 1.1 will not look much larger on the lobe from the normal viewing distance.

How about a milgrain bezel setting? It will make them look much bigger.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
MissGotRocks|1398255189|3658456 said:
As for the cut and sparkle factor, I guess it really shows that a well cut stone is a well cut stone. You have a well cut stone In your ering and yet I think we are lulled into thinking that some of the super ideals will literally jump out of the box at us. The Expert Selection stones are very well cut and generally just missed the ACA by a smidge. However, and I think it is a lesson for us all, they are not lightening bolts. They are just very well cut stones after all so don't be down on yourself for expecting so much more.

Ditto. In addition, a super-ideal diamond is not going to look that different in casual viewing in some lighting. The better performance between a super-ideal and other well-cut diamonds will be accross all lighting environments, and when dirty, and especially (in my experience) at very close inspection when the precise facet patterning can be best appreciated. I would not personally value such precision in my earrings. I would look for the biggest I-J Si2 color, GIA Ex cuts I could get!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was rooting for you to get the E I1 to pair with your original e-ring stone, personally. You said in your original thread: "Today I went to my jeweler and really focused and tried on different sizes. No question about it. 1.6 ctw is NOT gonna cut it. They just did not have the presence that I want."

So there is your answer. Unfortunately, these are not going to make you happy! Whenever I buy something that I already know is probably not quite what I really wanted, I am never happy, no matter how much I try to convince myself. The studs are definitely beautiful, but just not right for you.

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
MissGotRocks|1398264662|3658535 said:

sarahb

Not to thread jack but you know we are going to need a thread and pictures of your new three stone ring!

I know, I'm been a baaaddd PSr--will do when I get some decent shots, just have crummy iPhone pics at the moment :wavey:

yrrp3738

Shiny_Rock
I agreed with MC. I think the current size is good for you since like mine, your hole is a little bit too low for bigger stones. Many times, bigger not looks better.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sarahb|1398273250|3658608 said:
MissGotRocks|1398264662|3658535 said:

sarahb

I know, I'm been a baaaddd PSr--will do when I get some decent shots, just have crummy iPhone pics at the moment :wavey:

Well, we're not picky - we'll take any reasonable picture! :love:

Hospatogi

Brilliant_Rock
I'm sorry you aren't happy with your purchase. If you really aren't happy I say return them but they look great on you! If you reset them in bezels I think you might be a lot happier with how they appear. I almost lost one of my diamond studs recently even though I tried to be so careful with them so I would vote against using your e ring diamond for an earring.

mjg

Rough_Rock
I think they look big and amazing, but I also think it's crazy to spend that kind of money and not be over the moon. I agree with the above suggestion to get the largest unbranded studs you can.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I voted keep these because you can upgrade more than once. I think you will want to upgrade over one ct in a couple of years!

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think they look great, also! But I think DDS is bothering you already! Have you possibly talked to Yekutiel at ID Jewelry and discussed your budget with him? See if he can find you a matching pair w/ fluorescence that he would be willing to upgrade in the future...

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
I didn't vote but think you would be happier with the larger studs. The WF 1.60's look gorgeous on you but if you keep thinking about the E I1 and aren't 100% happy with these then just do it :devil:
As another poster mentioned you can always hunt for another E I1 and reset your e-ring diamond down the road.

On a much smaller scale I was in your position last year. I bought my first pair of studs from BGD for Christmas in 60ctw J's.
When they arrived I was underwhelmed by the size and the color bothered me. Five months later I upgraded to 1.00 ctw H's and have been 100% happy with them. So I understand your disappointment & wanting a larger size on you! Whatever makes you happy is what you need to do.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would pair an i1 with a VS. Why does clarity need to match :confused:

braga123

Brilliant_Rock
I think these are tasteful and proportionate.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone, sorry I haven't replied. Been busy at work. I just wrote up a really long response but lost it. :(sad

I just want to thank everyone for your comments, observations, advice and patience. I am going to keep wearing it for a while. My initial reaction was just a gut response to it. It was smaller than I expected, but I'm stupid if I thought anything bigger was coming. I knew that I was ordering 0.8s. Part of me expected the WF studs to be so sparkly they would look like 1 carats. Really??? Hellloooo??? Sometimes I'm not too bright. (Right again, MGR...)

I have to say I am loving how bright and sparkly they are on. The box does not do them justice. So I am enjoying wearing them. They don't overpower, but are definitely noticeable. They are soooo much more beautiful than the uncertified ones at my jewelers. So glad I dodged that bullet!! And I really appreciate that people thought they were big. They didn't look big to me. Not small, but just NOT big. Glad to hear that someone looking at them think they are sufficient in size. They are perfect for daily wear. And I definitely feel comfortable in them, not awkward. So I am warming up to them.

I really appreciate everyone's input and advice. Clearly I want bigger studs, but how I get there and when is the question. The E, I1 is the short cut, but my gut tells me I will regret setting my ering stone in the earring. It was just DSS rearing it's ugly head. I really don't want to let it win...

All your comments ring very true to me. People that just want me to get the matching and be done already. And people that think setting my ering stone into an earring is a shame. I agree with all of you. It would be nice to just jump to that blingy size. But I think in the long run I might be happier keeping my ering stone separate. (Btw, I found a really gorgeous bezeled setting to put it in a necklace.) I want to be able to see it more.

My husband said something kinda funny, which was also true. I told him that I thought keeping the ering separate will make me happier in the long run, and that I should keep the pair. He said two diamonds instead of one? I didn't even think about that. Well, of course!! Duh! And I would not mind a matching pair of WF studs, at a carat each. If only I can keep the DSS beast down, for 2-3 years, I have a shot at it.

I must also say that the earring settings are really well made and awesome. No complaints. Anyway, I am going to keep wearing the studs this week, and do a daily check in/update. I change my mind by the hour...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results