shape
carat
color
clarity

Clarity Enhanced FCDs?

kroshka

Brilliant_Rock
My understanding is that GIA will not issue reports for clarity enhanced diamonds but will for laser drilled diamonds - this more specifically related to white diamonds. Since many FCD's come with a color diamond identification and origin report (and for FCD's 0.15ct or or less clarity grading is not available even if you are willing to pay for it in a full color diamond grading report), running across an FCD that has a color only report but is possibly clarity enhanced has me concerned.

Here are some examples I recently found on ebay that brought the idea to my mind:

A 0.40ct Fancy Purple Pink diamond that has a GIA color diamond identification and origin report for color, however thankfully the seller is honest and states in the auction description that the diamond has been clarity enhanced.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/0-40-Carat-Fancy-Purple-Pink-Natural-Diamond-VS1-GIA-Certified-Natural-color-/121315691013?pt=Loose_Diamonds&hash=item1c3efa8a05

Another diamond from the same seller as the above stone, but also has a GIA report and seller states it is clarity enhanced.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-51-Carat-Fancy-Pink-Natural-Diamond-GIA-Certified-100-Natural-Color-/141212275850?pt=Loose_Diamonds&hash=item20e0e8548a

Has anyone ever come across an FCD that had a full colored diamond report for which the color was natural but had clarity enhancement noted on it? I've seen gia color diamond grading reports for stones that stated the diamond was coated or was HPHT, etc with regards to the color, and reports for white diamonds that stated the diamond had been laser drilled, but never a combination of color treatment and clarity enhancement.

Some other examples via ebay for which there is a GIA colored diamond identification and origin report, but the seller mentions the clarity enhancement. Both of the links below are from the same seller but the seller is different from the 2 auction links listed above:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-5-Pear-Fancy-Purple-Pink-GIA-Certified-solitaire-Diamond-engagment-ring-loose-/331183064293?pt=Diamond_Solitaire_Rings&hash=item4d1c0c84e5

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-5-Fancy-Intense-Pink-Purple-GIA-Certified-diamond-wedding-engagment-ring-loose-/331180062603?pt=Loose_Diamonds&hash=item4d1bdeb78b

Kroshka

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Excellent concern, Kroshka. :appl:

One possibility … perhaps those eBay examples were clarity enhanced after GIA graded them.

I'd call GIA in NY and also in CA and ask to speak to the head of the FCD grading department.
Ask if their ID and origin reports would catch and report laser drilling and/or clarity enhancement.

I've called GIA a few times and it was easy to reach said person.

kroshka

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Kenny,

My thought is that the ID & origin report will not state anything with regards to clarity enhancement but yes definitely worth calling to inquire and get it clarified. I would be all too relieved if they would notate this since it makes a very big difference in the value of a stone.

Any vendors care to comment or provide any insight?

Kroshka

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1398296999|3658809 said:
Excellent concern, Kroshka. :appl:

One possibility … perhaps those eBay examples were clarity enhanced after GIA graded them.

I'd call GIA in NY and also in CA and ask to speak to the head of the FCD grading department.
Ask if their ID and origin reports would catch and report laser drilling and/or clarity enhancement.

I've called GIA a few times and it was easy to reach said person.

I'm with Kenny that the only possibility I can think of is that the enhancement is done after GIA reviewed the FCD. In reading their website link, GIA states that such treatment is prominently disclosed, so it doesn't make sense to me that it would not show up on their reports.
http://gia4cs.gia.edu/en-us/lad-diamond-treatments.htm

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you find out treatment took place after GIA graded it I would consider a vendor selling that stone with that report to be guilty of fraud.
If so, they should be reported to the authorities.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1398313202|3658955 said:
If you find out treatment took place after GIA graded it I would consider a vendor selling that stone with that report to be guilty of fraud.

Kenny, is this because the modifications to the stone make the report null and void and therefore is a misrepresentation of the stone?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1398353541|3659154 said:

Kenny, is this because the modifications to the stone make the report null and void and therefore is a misrepresentation of the stone?

I'm no attorney, but yes that is my reasoning.

Andelain

Ideal_Rock

I'd only consider it fraud if the seller hid that info. I just bought a laser-drilled AVR from GOG that has and AGS report, and it was made clear that the report was done before the dark inclusion was bleached. I saw before and after pics, and everything was completely disclosed.

kroshka

Brilliant_Rock
Andelain|1398360019|3659233 said:

I'd only consider it fraud if the seller hid that info. I just bought a laser-drilled AVR from GOG that has and AGS report, and it was made clear that the report was done before the dark inclusion was bleached. I saw before and after pics, and everything was completely disclosed.

I guess this is why it is so important to buy from a reputable vendor or source. However, when it comes to purchasing from a third party or not well known jeweler, etc, it makes it more of a concern to verify that the stone has not been altered post GIA report date. If the stone has passed through multiple hands, the person you purchase from may not know or have forgotten to mention the fact about it being clarity enhanced. It would be very important to view the stone under a microscope - I found GOG info about what to look for under a microscope interesting. More specifically the section titled, "How can I know if a diamond has been "clarity enhanced"?"

http://www.goodoldgold.com/4Cs/Clarity/ClarityEnhancedDiamonds/

However this part is very disturbing - per GOG's section on the same link mentioned above - "You mentioned two different types of enhancement. What's the other?"

"Two very important facts you want to keep in mind about laser treated diamonds is this. GIA will certify laser treated diamonds whereas they will not certify filled diamonds. Legally, according to the FTC, a jeweler does not have to disclose to you that a diamond has been laser treated."

Yikes about the FTC!

Kroshka

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
kroshka|1398367654|3659299 said:
Andelain|1398360019|3659233 said:

I guess this is why it is so important to buy from a reputable vendor or source. However, when it comes to purchasing from a third party or not well known jeweler, etc, it makes it more of a concern to verify that the stone has not been altered post GIA report date. If the stone has passed through multiple hands, the person you purchase from may not know or have forgotten to mention the fact about it being clarity enhanced. It would be very important to view the stone under a microscope - I found GOG info about what to look for under a microscope interesting. More specifically the section titled, "How can I know if a diamond has been "clarity enhanced"?"

However this part is very disturbing - per GOG's section on the same link mentioned above - "You mentioned two different types of enhancement. What's the other?"

"Two very important facts you want to keep in mind about laser treated diamonds is this. GIA will certify laser treated diamonds whereas they will not certify filled diamonds. Legally, according to the FTC, a jeweler does not have to disclose to you that a diamond has been laser treated."

Yikes about the FTC!

Kroshka

I can see why they differentiate. Fracture filled stones are compromised in strength, laser drilled aren't. That said, I'd never want to buy from a jeweler that wouldn't tell me upfront the stone was lasered. GOG's upfrontness and willingness to answer all my questions about it was why I was willing to buy it when I'd never even considered a CE stone before. Honestly goes a long way.

kroshka

Brilliant_Rock
Totally agree about honesty Andelain, and many thanks to GOG for providing the info about clarity enhanced stones.

Kroshka

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Andelain|1398368091|3659305 said:

Yikes about the FTC!

Kroshka

I'd never want to buy from a jeweler that wouldn't tell me upfront the stone was lasered. GOG's upfrontness and willingness to answer all my questions about it was why I was willing to buy it when I'd never even considered a CE stone before. Honestly goes a long way.

Yes, but if they are not obliged to tell you, how would you know whether they are or not?

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
minousbijoux|1398549250|3660810 said:
Andelain|1398368091|3659305 said:

Yikes about the FTC!

Kroshka

I'd never want to buy from a jeweler that wouldn't tell me upfront the stone was lasered. GOG's upfrontness and willingness to answer all my questions about it was why I was willing to buy it when I'd never even considered a CE stone before. Honestly goes a long way.

Yes, but if they are not obliged to tell you, how would you know whether they are or not?

I loupe every stone when I first get it, and I can see the laser hole with my decent 10x. To put it mildly, I'd have been hot under the collar to see that if it wasn't disclosed.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Andelain: that is really good info to know that the laser-drilled holes are visible with a loupe.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results