shape
carat
color
clarity

E-engagement ring: Tanzanite or Sapphire?

RingGirl

Rough_Rock
Hello,
I’ve been reading here for the past few days but still feel lost and can use some help.
We decided to get engaged and luckily for me he offered that we will pick a ring together.
We don’t live in the US and gemstones are over priced in our country, but we have a visitor coming from the US in few weeks that could bring a ring so we are time pressured.

At first all I wanted was a classic simple diamond ring, but after looking in ebay I fell in love with this Tanzanite ring: http://www.ebay.com/itm/SOLID-14K-WHITE-GOLD-NATURAL-STUNNING-BLUE-TANZANITE-DIAMOND-ENGAGEMENT-RING-/141258157189?pt=Diamond_Solitaire_Rings&hash=item20e3a46c85
2 things that I’m worried about: the first, Tanzanite being to gentle for wearing on daily basis (and that is my plan for this beuty) and the second is quality of a ebay ring (and stone).

I also looked at Sapphires but didn’t see any setting similar to the one of the Tanzanite :sick:

Our budget is around 1,000$ and I would be happy to hear your thoughts about tanzanite or ideas where to find a sapphire ring like the one above or this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7FmTlBS6zA

Thank you!

ephsea

Shiny_Rock
Tanzanite will not hold up to daily wear for long, sapphire is a much better choice.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tanzanite isn't going to hold up well as an e-ring stone. I would go for a sapphire, then buy the eBay setting and have your local jeweller set the sapphire into the setting. I think the eBay vendor will sell you just the setting.

RingGirl

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your help! I will put the tanzanite ring idia aside and go for a sapphire :twirl:

I don't have a jeweler and prefer buying a made ring in one piece, since we don't have any experience and this is imported for us we don't want to find out bought a great ring and stone that don't match :( .

we will go for a sapphire ring and our budget for a stone+ring will be 1500$ - Do you have any recommended sellers? it doesn't need to be ebay, but we are looking for a trusted seller.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you need an "all-in one stop" shop, JuliaB might be a good fit. The advantage of a separate vendor for the stone and setting is that you get better quality sapphire and better quality setting (and more options to choose from) for less than an already completed piece. I also highly recommend finding a good local jeweller anyway; you'll need to visit them yearly or twice yearly to check the prongs, resizing, replating, professional cleaning and any other general work on your jewellery so you should develop a good relationship with someone local.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/JuliaBJewelry

If you are concerned that you need more assistance, Pricescopers here are more than happy to help find you the best stone and setting for your budget. :wavey:

RingGirl

Rough_Rock

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is your budget for the sapphire?
What colour and mm size are you hoping to get?

I am asking because blue sapphires are not inexpensive, costing up to $2K/ct for a fine unheated blue.

RingGirl

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1398432872|3659801 said:
What is your budget for the sapphire?
What colour and mm size are you hoping to get?

I am asking because blue sapphires are not inexpensive, costing up to $2K/ct for a fine unheated blue.

The total budget is 2000$ (and not one cent over :saint: )
I didn’t research enough sapphires, but when looking at diamonds I liked at least 0.7 carats.
Do you think we can find something for this budget?
What are the downsides of a heated blue?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
0.75 ct diamond = 6 mm = 1 ct blue sapphire
You should be able to get a heated 1 ct round blue sapphire for $1K, but it might not be an intense blue (just strong blue).

Examples of the blue you can get for your budget. They are all slightly over 6 mm and under $1K.

sapphire_blue_1127_a.jpg

sapphire_blue_1135_a_day.jpg

sapphire_blue_1135_a_inc.jpg

RingGirl

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1398433707|3659811 said:
You should be able to get a heated 1 ct round blue sapphire for $1K, but it might not be an intense blue (just strong blue).

Good to know. Thank you!
We also found a diamond we like for the same price. All I need now is a setting and then I can start sapphire hunting (too bad we only have 2 weeks to find them)
Any ideas on finding a setting similar to the one on whiteflash for 1000$?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
RingGirl|1398434107|3659815 said:

Good to know. Thank you!
We also found a diamond we like for the same price. All I need now is a setting and then I can start sapphire hunting (too bad we only have 2 weeks to find them)
Probably not. Verragio settings have a very definitive look to them, and they are pretty expensive because they take a lot of work to look like that (I believe they are likely CAD and cast, but finishing work takes time too). You haven't said what you like about them.

Anyway, here are a few from Julia's shop that I thought looked interesting for you. I particularly like the three stone's side profile view.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/168378083/mothers-day-sale-three-stone-blue?ref=shop_home_active_1

https://www.etsy.com/listing/176028447/mothers-day-sale-222-carat-icy-blue?ref=shop_home_active_21

https://www.etsy.com/listing/152462...oletish-blue-sapphire?ref=shop_home_active_15

RingGirl

Rough_Rock
FrekeChild|1398444507|3659907 said:
RingGirl|1398434107|3659815 said:

Good to know. Thank you!
Probably not. Verragio settings have a very definitive look to them, and they are pretty expensive because they take a lot of work to look like that (I believe they are likely CAD and cast, but finishing work takes time too). You haven't said what you like about them.

Anyway, here are a few from Julia's shop that I thought looked interesting for you. I particularly like the three stone's side profile view.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/168378083/mothers-day-sale-three-stone-blue?ref=shop_home_active_1

https://www.etsy.com/listing/176028447/mothers-day-sale-222-carat-icy-blue?ref=shop_home_active_21

https://www.etsy.com/listing/152462...oletish-blue-sapphire?ref=shop_home_active_15

The Ring itself is gorgeous, I love the detailing and the shape, the downside is that is a little to ‘high’ and my boyfriend is not crazy about it – realizing that these reasons are what make it so expensive I guess I’m back to settings like those in the original post:

What I like about these are the way the diamonds are set in the sides (the smooth edges are a most)
And I would like something special on the part that holds the stone (like in the first ring). In other words, I would like it classic but, still special.

_17319.jpg

_17320.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
And you have a timeline of 2 weeks? You're going to have to go with something that's made already. Rings typically take 4-6 weeks to be made. And you're going to have to decide fast to allow for shipping time.

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
That loupetroop ring Niel posted is an insanely good deal imo, even if you replace the stone, though I like the one in there.

RingGirl

Rough_Rock
FrekeChild|1398457414|3660038 said:
And you have a timeline of 2 weeks? You're going to have to go with something that's made already. Rings typically take 4-6 weeks to be made. And you're going to have to decide fast to allow for shipping time.

We are hoping to find something within the time frame. The ring and stone need to be shipped within 2 weeks and we can find a local jeweler put them together here.

I looked up the knowledge and now I know to say that I'm looking for a channel set and hopefully I will find one with a cathedral mounting and 6 prongs.

I know our budget isn’t high (2000$ total), but with some work I hope we find the one.
There is always plan B of just getting a classic simple diamond ring and looking for a special wedding band (I want one simple and the other more special)

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the last one that Niel posted but wanted to add a warning. If they are claiming they have an AIGS lab report, they should be willing to show it you. What you are looking for is the level of treatment the stone has. Anything more than heat treatment would make that ring overly priced IMO.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, and Ringgirl, I love your first inspiration ring - the tulip type of setting. I find them to be so beautiful, particularly their profiles. :praise:

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Many of us have purchased stones from Dana. Yes, he's knowledgeable, very trustworthy (it's possible that you'll think one of his stones looks better in real life than on the web page; that's happened with me), and a super nice guy with a no-questions-asked, full refund policy if returned within 10 days.

So if you think you might like it, you should nab it now.

P.S. It's priced lower than what you were expecting because
* Madagascar sapphires like this one, darker with a green secondary tone, don't have as much of a following. I purchased a similar one from Dana in November that I personally like a lot; this one is better than mine because it's "brighter" (mine's more of true teal), and
* Dana's prices are very reasonable, especially where as here, the stone is cut from rough he purchased back in the 1990's.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Darn, and my apologies. I just re-read your initial post & see that you do not live in the US, hope to have someone from the States bring you a ring. I had fixated on the roughly 2 week deadline given in a more recent post; was thinking that a trusted, local (US) jeweler could order a cathedral mounting with channel-set diamonds from Stuller -- customized to fit a center stone that (like the Madagascar sapphire) is not a "stock" size -- and pull the ring together on that short a notice.

If your friend is willing to do the rush legwork, that may still be doable. But I doubt a US jeweler can *guarantee* it would happen before your friend leaves for the airport. Plus, you would not be able to see the stone, to decide if you like it or not, before the order would have to placed with Stuller -- and such a ring would not be returnable (at least, I don't imagine any jeweler would agree to take back such a custom order).

What is your combined budget for e-ring plus wedding band? That would help us help you figure out if you can do both a simple solitaire diamond e-ring plus a diamond-sapphire wedding band (or maybe a unique, non-gemstone wedding band is what you're thinking of?).

RingGirl

Rough_Rock
MollyMalone|1398626155|3661342 said:
Darn, and my apologies. I just re-read your initial post & see that you do not live in the US, hope to have someone from the States bring you a ring. I had fixated on the roughly 2 week deadline given in a more recent post; was thinking that a trusted, local (US) jeweler could order a cathedral mounting with channel-set diamonds from Stuller -- customized to fit a center stone that (like the Madagascar sapphire) is not a "stock" size -- and pull the ring together on that short a notice.

If your friend is willing to do the rush legwork, that may still be doable. But I doubt a US jeweler can *guarantee* it would happen before your friend leaves for the airport. Plus, you would not be able to see the stone, to decide if you like it or not, before the order would have to placed with Stuller -- and such a ring would not be returnable (at least, I don't imagine any jeweler would agree to take back such a custom order).

What is your combined budget for e-ring plus wedding band? That would help us help you figure out if you can do both a simple solitaire diamond e-ring plus a diamond-sapphire wedding band (or maybe a unique, non-gemstone wedding band is what you're thinking of?).

You are so sweet! we don't need the ring finished with in two weeks, we can have the stone setting done in my country ;-)
The other good news is that we found 2 options for the rings and now all we need is a stone :mrgreen: We need the sapphire to be round and over 1 carat and if we are lucky we will find it by the end of the week and still have time for $ issues and shipping.

The bad news is that I am officially addicted now to gems and PC :twirl:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
RingGirl|1398682774|3661695 said:
MollyMalone|1398626155|3661342 said:

You are so sweet! we don't need the ring finished with in two weeks, we can have the stone setting done in my country ;-)
The other good news is that we found 2 options for the rings and now all we need is a stone :mrgreen: We need the sapphire to be round and over 1 carat and if we are lucky we will find it by the end of the week and still have time for $ issues and shipping.

The bad news is that I am officially addicted now to gems and PC :twirl:

When you say 1ct, what mm size do you need it to be between yo fit your setting?
And whats the budget left for the stone?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We don't need the ring finished with in two weeks, we can have the stone setting done in my country ;-) The other good news is that we found 2 options for the rings and now all we need is a stone :mrgreen: We need the sapphire to be round and over 1 carat and if we are lucky we will find it by the end of the week and still have time for $ issues and shipping.

Good news: we can find you a stone in less than 2 weeks if you like non-traditional blues. It seems like you like a darker blue and don't mind if it has a green modifier.

Bad news: limiting yourself to rounds will make the search much more challenging. Ovals are the easiest to find.

I am presuming you are looking for a 6.5 mm round since a 1 ct diamond is approximately that size. Unfortunately, sapphires are almost always deeper than a diamond so your new sapphire might still not fit the setting. I highly suggest getting the stone first, then getting the setting. Going about the reverse (setting then stone) is adding another level of complexity and time that you don't have.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1398687521|3661715 said:
We don't need the ring finished with in two weeks, we can have the stone setting done in my country ;-) The other good news is that we found 2 options for the rings and now all we need is a stone :mrgreen: We need the sapphire to be round and over 1 carat and if we are lucky we will find it by the end of the week and still have time for $ issues and shipping.

Good news: we can find you a stone in less than 2 weeks if you like non-traditional blues. It seems like you like a darker blue and don't mind if it has a green modifier.

Bad news: limiting yourself to rounds will make the search much more challenging. Ovals are the easiest to find.

I am presuming you are looking for a 6.5 mm round since a 1 ct diamond is approximately that size. Unfortunately, sapphires are almost always deeper than a diamond so your new sapphire might still not fit the setting. I highly suggest getting the stone first, then getting the setting. Going about the reverse (setting then stone) is adding another level of complexity and time that you don't have.

This. So many settings made for diamond center stones just do not accommodate the depth of colored stones, as they, if well cut, are generally cut deeper than diamonds.

RingGirl

Rough_Rock
Whatever we can get done in 2 weeks would be good. The stone we prefer to buy in the US because of trust and price.
The setting will be ordered from China or made in our country, we still did not decide if we can trust the eBay vendors we got a price offering from for a custom ring.

So since we didn't find my dream e-ring we will get a stone now from the US and then get the setting.
Earlier 'Chrono' said that "0.75 ct diamond = 6 mm = 1 ct blue sapphire" - vary important information! And that is why I'm looking for a 1 carat + (1.5-2 preferred)

The sapphire will be round and I love the color shifting sapphires like these: (but a single color will be fine as well)
http://www.mastercutgems.com/preview.php?cat=291&id=7532
http://mastercutgems.com/preview.php?cat=291&id=7568

Our budget is up to 700+- $ (but we hope to find one for less)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results