shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for best way to sell my engagement ring

VT_RN

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I divorced several years ago, but I held on to my diamond engagement ring because it was so darn pretty :tongue: . Now I'm getting ready to propose to my terrific boyfriend (can I still call him that if we're olds?) and I'd like to sell my wedding set to pay for an engagement ring for him and a wedding band for me! So I'm hoping some folks here who have experience with this kind of sale can help me out with the best way to sell for the most amount of money.

The stats:
One Hearts on Fire round brilliant cut diamond, AGS 000 Ideal Cut, D color, VS2 clarity, with grading report from AGS and the original Hearts on Fire report stuff all still here somewhere in the house. It's got a HoF number incised on the girdle, and it's set in a plain platinum 4-prong band (Tiffany-style). I also have a plain platinum wedding band that I wore with it.

I know HoF charges a premium for the brand, and I don't expect to get the original cost -- but of course I'd like to get as much as I can. Ebay makes me anxious, and Craigslist just kind of scares me for this kind of thing. Do you all have any advice about the best way to sell?

Thanks!

GeorgeStevens

Shiny_Rock
Have you thought about an exchange instead of selling?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
We have a preloved board. And many of our PSers list on Diamond Bistro and Loupe Troop. I've sold many items on there myself.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
You can also consign through Good Old Gold. They will probably be able to move that stone for you well.

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
Since it has been worn, it should be sent to GIA or AGS for regrading. Chips and wear can reduce the clarity grade. Buyers want to see a current report.

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock
TC1987|1398254523|3658451 said:
Since it has been worn, it should be sent to GIA or AGS for regrading. Chips and wear can reduce the clarity grade. Buyers want to see a current report.

Is that correct? I've never heard that before.
I would think an inspection would be sufficient - not re-grading?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Harpertoo|1398256962|3658467 said:

The inscription would be to prove that its the same stone as represented with the GIA cert. But say its been worn for 10 years, it may have chips that are not indicated on the old cert, so though its the same stone, the cert may not be accurate anymore.

However i probably wouldn't pay to have it regraded. Extra money and i don't think most people who are buying second hand are going to be as concerned about daily wear as they are that the stone is headed and as represented. Clear photos and honest information about the ring, for most people, would be sufficient i would think.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
[quote="VT_RN Now I'm getting ready to propose to my terrific boyfriend (can I still call him that if we're olds?) [/quote]

As anyone with a case of the olds knows - we are not getting older, just better.
I believe the term you are looking for is "hot boy-toy". =)

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock
Niel|1398257260|3658472 said:
Harpertoo|1398256962|3658467 said:

The inscription would be to prove that its the same stone as represented with the GIA cert. But say its been worn for 10 years, it may have chips that are not indicated on the old cert, so though its the same stone, the cert may not be accurate anymore.

However i probably wouldn't pay to have it regraded. Extra money and i don't think most people who are buying second hand are going to be as concerned about daily wear as they are that the stone is headed and as represented. Clear photos and honest information about the ring, for most people, would be sufficient i would think.

I meant inspecting the stone for damage (chips, cracks, abrasion) - identifying it as the same stone as the cert. with the inscription would be part of due diligence.

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm a big fan of Loupe Troup and have bought and sold with success.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I do not think it needs to be regraded. A good recent appraisal is enough.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Gypsy|1398268506|3658556 said:
I do not think it needs to be regraded. A good recent appraisal is enough.
I agree with Gypsy. No need to necessarily update the cert. Get an evaluation and appraisal from a qualified, credentialled appraiser. There are some good ones that participate here.

We do trade-ups on our diamonds as a regular part of our business and it is rare that we see even a chip or scratch on diamonds that have been worn daily for up to 14 years now. Chances are your stone is fine, but if there is an issue a good appraiser will alert and advise you.

luvsdmb

Brilliant_Rock
Stores in my area that sell HOF will give you exactly what you paid for it. I would check with the store it was purchased from.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
luvsdmb|1398274436|3658619 said:
Stores in my area that sell HOF will give you exactly what you paid for it. I would check with the store it was purchased from.
Not a very smart move, b/c diamonds were a lot cheaper 10 yrs ago.

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
I don't have appraisers in my area, so it would be easier for me to just send it for re-grading. Actually, if I were selling a sizable diamond, I'd have both a GIA/AGS fresh grading report, and a qualified appraiser's report, because it lends credibility . Who is going to buy a diamond just based on the seller's say-so? The smartest thing for a seller to do is get the report, the appraisal, ASET, IS, etc. because a private seller or consignor is going up against the Internet vendors who can provide all of that. Buyers want documentation. A "used" diamond may not match its original clarity grade, and it's the seller's job to prove that it does.

I traded a diamond back to GOG a couple of years ago when I bought an upgrade. That diamond had never been worn, It had never been mounted. It sat in a stone holder in a ring box in the safe for a couple of years, then I traded it in. GOG sent it for a new grading report before relisting it. If nothing else, a fresh report resets the clock on "new," especially if the diamond is not inscribed.

Whatever. Do what you want. But I am skeptical of diamonds with old grading reports.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
TC1987|1398280888|3658667 said:
I don't have appraisers in my area, so it would be easier for me to just send it for re-grading. Actually, if I were selling a sizable diamond, I'd have both a GIA/AGS fresh grading report, and a qualified appraiser's report, because it lends credibility . Who is going to buy a diamond just based on the seller's say-so? The smartest thing for a seller to do is get the report, the appraisal, ASET, IS, etc. because a private seller or consignor is going up against the Internet vendors who can provide all of that. Buyers want documentation. A "used" diamond may not match its original clarity grade, and it's the seller's job to prove that it does.

I traded a diamond back to GOG a couple of years ago when I bought an upgrade. That diamond had never been worn, It had never been mounted. It sat in a stone holder in a ring box in the safe for a couple of years, then I traded it in. GOG sent it for a new grading report before relisting it. If nothing else, a fresh report resets the clock on "new," especially if the diamond is not inscribed.

Whatever. Do what you want. But I am skeptical of diamonds with old grading reports.
TC, it is all true what you say. The advice I was giving was based upon the path of least resistance (expense) approach, as well as the thought that the OP might take the advice of other posters and offer it here on the pre-loved channel. A seller posting it as a new item will most likely get a new cert for the reasons you state.

The best approach is somewhat dependant on where, how and to whom you might be selling. In fact, if selling directly to the trade, an appraisal is of little value in terms of the money they will offer. In that case, even that step might be skipped. However, it is of value to know exactly what you have, what condition it's in, and what the market looks like before you go sell something.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results