shape
carat
color
clarity

Shipping gems & jewelry FROM Canada to U.S.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I posted this question in hangout but no responses so far.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/shipping-jewelry-gems-from-canada-to-u-s.201074/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/shipping-jewelry-gems-from-canada-to-u-s.201074/[/URL]

I know there are considerations/issues shipping items TO Canada, but what about from Canada to the U.S.? Is there anything I should expect in terms of import taxes or fees on an item purchased from Canada (loose gem and/or finished jewelry), and does it make a difference if it is from a private party vs a dealer? Is there a dollar/value threshold? I have my eye on something from a seller there and just want to be prepared for any surprises on my (receiving) end if I decide to make the purchase.

Thanks much in advance.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JoCo: my quick answer is that I really don't know. When in doubt, I dig into the regulations. I would go to USPS and see what it means to ship from Canada to the US. By searching around a bit, it will be likely that the US regs will be referred to on their website, and then you can follow that up by googling it. Now that said, the reality is that there likely will not be a problem, which is what you might hear from those who have done it. But the regulations may say there are tariffs and/or prohibitions in which case if you are the one unlucky enough to be caught, you might pay for it. Hopefully, those more informed will happen along...

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you! I don't mind paying appropriate fees, taxes, etc. I just didn't know if there would be any or not, and wanted to factor that into my decision to purchase, budget, etc. I recall when I ordered the Alex from MC, there wasn't, but I wasn't sure if that was because of where it was coming from, that it was a dealer, etc. I appreciate your response and will see what I can find on USPS.

Buying pretty sparkles shouldn't require a PhD in customs. LOL

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JoCoJenn|1398188414|3657901 said:
Thank you! I don't mind paying appropriate fees, taxes, etc. I just didn't know if there would be any or not, and wanted to factor that into my decision to purchase, budget, etc. I recall when I ordered the Alex from MC, there wasn't, but I wasn't sure if that was because of where it was coming from, that it was a dealer, etc. I appreciate your response and will see what I can find on USPS.

Buying pretty sparkles shouldn't require a PhD in customs. LOL

Haha, good one! But so often it does. A little pain with our love? :praise:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I pulled the trigger this evening ... Fingers crossed it has safe travels across the border.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results