shape
carat
color
clarity

My New KitchenAid Stand Mixer

Saoirse2

Shiny_Rock
MissGotRocks|1397934748|3656196 said:
I just ordered the Flex Edge by KitchenAid through Amazon but it only has the scraper/spatula on one side. I thought the two sided one wasn't actually a KitchenAid product so I was afraid to buy it. Might have to return this one!
My bad, I would like to clarify that the 'double' spatula paddle I posted is The Metro Design Beater Blade [2013] for the 6 quart and a few prof 5 quart models: Professional 6 & 600, Deluxe Epicurean: KD2661X, KP26M8X, KT2651X, KP26N9X. Professional 5 Plus: KV25GOX, KV25G8X, KV25HOX my mother has the bolded model # and did NOT fit, she uses the Flex Edge w/o problems. Packaging also reads being dishwasher safe it is not.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Qvc has the kitchen aid mixers on value pay several times a year, usually at a better price than anywhere else and includes most new blades such as the double sided paddle which mine came with.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Saoirse2|1397938647|3656225 said:
MissGotRocks|1397934748|3656196 said:
I just ordered the Flex Edge by KitchenAid through Amazon but it only has the scraper/spatula on one side. I thought the two sided one wasn't actually a KitchenAid product so I was afraid to buy it. Might have to return this one!
My bad, I would like to clarify that the 'double' spatula paddle I posted is The Metro Design Beater Blade [2013] for the 6 quart and a few prof 5 quart models: Professional 6 & 600, Deluxe Epicurean: KD2661X, KP26M8X, KT2651X, KP26N9X. Professional 5 Plus: KV25GOX, KV25G8X, KV25HOX my mother has the bolded model # and did NOT fit, she uses the Flex Edge w/o problems. Packaging also reads being dishwasher safe it is not.

I think my model number is KSM152 Custom Metallic in Chrome. It is a 5 qt. model. I'll try the one from KitchenAid from Amazon and see how it goes.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AprilBaby|1397941226|3656241 said:
Qvc has the kitchen aid mixers on value pay several times a year, usually at a better price than anywhere else and includes most new blades such as the double sided paddle which mine came with.

Kohl's had some killer deals on the Artisan around the holidays but they never put this 5 qt. chrome one on a big sale. Never checked QVC. Amazon had it too but never at this price. I really went back and forth between the colors and the chrome but I really liked this one and figured it would work in another kitchen too. You know that old tag line 'A deal isn't a deal unless you're getting what you really want' so I just decided to get the one that I really wanted.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
craighnt|1397936830|3656209 said:
Very nice, have not seen the all chrome one. I got one myself as a gift and at time I didnt think I was going to use it but it really comes in handy. Great for baking and things like bread, but even simple stuff like real whipped cream in 5 minutes so worth it.

My one bit of advice is don't be tempted to hide it in a cabinet once the newness wears off. It becomes too much of a chore to pull out spur of the moment. Leave it out and when that mood hits, you will find all sorts of uses.

I appreciate your advice and can see how true it could be. Fortunately, I have lots of counter space so it has a dedicated place of its own. The picture I took had too much light and flash going on - my countertops and tile look much darker than that in real life so the mixer really stands out. I call it bling for the countertop - ha! You should see my husband roll his eyes on that one!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1397938646|3656224 said:
MGR, I recommend you consider milling your own flour for the health and taste benefits.
As with anything there's controversy and anything you read on the Internet is suspect but here's a good first article to read, along with disclaimers. http://www.kitchenstewardship.com/2011/02/17/food-for-thought-is-freshly-milled-flour-more-nutritious/

Just as with an apple wheat starts to spoil and loose nutrients right after nature's outer seal of the wheat kernel is broken.
Any flour that lasts on your shelf doesn't have as much healthy stuff in it, or has unhealthy stuff added.

Just like eating fruit right after pealing it, I mill my wheat right before using it.
It's fast and easy.

I bought the WonderMill several months ago and love it.
Here's a video. http://www.breadbeckers.com/store/pc/Product-Demos-c215.htm

Another highly-rated mill is the NutriMill.

Kenny, I admire the extra steps you go to insure quality food and good health. It is something to really consider. Since I don't bake every day, I guess I could think about taking the extra time to mill the flour. Food prep during the week is a killer with working - sometimes I think how easy it would be to be a dog and eat the same thing every day - ha!! My new Yorkie eats 1/4 cup of Fromm food and two baby carrots a day. Not hard or time consuming at all! :lol:

mohsin95

Rough_Rock
I made the mistake of buying a Cuisinart once, big mistake! Two weeks after getting it... it just stopped working, was able to get a full refund though. Now I'm running a kitchenaid Professional 600, not as blingy as yours though! (black)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh the Chrome is lovely.

We bought one a couple years ago. I was against it. We've used it less than 10 times in all that time. And it's huge.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy, I'm sorry that you haven't used yours much! It is expensive and does take up space but so worth it if it makes life easier. I told myself for years that I didn't really need it but mixing together stuff is so much easier and better with this machine. Beats the heck out of the hand held mixer making a ton of noise and slinging batter and stuff across the room! I also love that while it's mixing I can start to straighten up my mess a bit. A hands free machine is wonderful for me!

After I get off the dessert kick, I'm anxious to make meatballs and some yummy breads. Hope you find some new uses for yours - yanno, since you have it anyway! ;))

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well helloooo gorgeous!! :love: :bigsmile: It's just loverly. :appl: I'm so glad you're loving it. Enjoy.

I have a white one I earned with CC points (no choice on color, but most likely would have picked something to go with everything anyway). I like it, it's great for the new shortbread cookie recipe I discovered last year. You beat the butter for 15-20 min. No way I'd stand there and do that. I also find it handy when mixing more than one thing for one recipe, don't have to stop and wash beaters. I'm not sure what will happen to it when the kitchen redo happens. It sits in the corner, where the sink may end up. Not loving that idea, but this kitchen is leaving VERY little room for rearrangements. So, it may get put in a closet, in which case it will never get used, at which point I will probably give it to my son....

If I had lots of cabinet room, I'd get one of these babies, just for this mixer. Nice.

https://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=A0LEVy2KnVNTUUsA.ZpXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTB0Y2dsNml2BHNlYwNzYwRjb2xvA2JmMQR2dGlkA1ZJUDM5Nl8x?_adv_prop=image&fr=yfp-t-285-s&va=kitchen+cabinet+lift+for+mixer

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree Ellen - it is heavy so if you had to heave ho it out of a cabinet or closet every time you wanted to use it you just might skip it. Here's hoping you still have room!

Is your kitchen redo in the works or still the planning stages? More excitement for you!!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love my KitchenAid and I am sure you will too. Mine is cream color. I suggest picking up a second bowl and beater. They come in handy for holiday baking.

mohsin95

Rough_Rock
Mmmm... looks great! :lickout:

mohsin95

Rough_Rock
Mmmm... looks great! :lickout:

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock
MissGotRocks|1397918993|3656067 said:
misskittycat|1397906059|3655974 said:
I love my kitchenAid. I have the Limited Edition candy apple one. It's brilliant.

Yours, however, is SPECTACULAR. I have my eye on the satin copper version. I really really want it . Really want it. Like hand over my bling budget for a year want it. But they aren't bringing them to Australia right now. It's not wrong to have two kitchenaids now is it??? That's like saying you have too many diamonds!!!

In reading a bazillion reviews on the mixer, I saw that quite a few people got another simply due to color! What worked in one kitchen didn't work in another, etc. I loved the shine of the chrome mixer but figured it would work in another kitchen too - regardless of the color scheme. The satin copper is beautiful too. Can you not order it online from an American company? I found that www.everythingkitchens.com had the best prices and I got a $30 cash rebate as well.

And, well, no - you can't have too many mixers or too many sparklies! I'll enable you all day on that one - lol!

Unfortunately not that simple. Australia runs on 240 volts and the US runs on 110 volts. So it would need a new motor. I am considering it, but it needs more investigation....

amc80

Ideal_Rock
I love my KitchenAid. The scraper blade is awesome and saves a lot of time. I have the meat grinder attachment which works really well. I've only used it a few times, but those few times I was really thankful to have it. I also have the shredder/slicer attachment. I mainly use this for cheese. Freshly grated cheese is so much better than the packaged stuff. My mom had this pasta roller for hers, so I used that a lot growing up. Lots of fun!

blackprophet

Brilliant_Rock
kenny|1397928341|3656149 said:
MissGotRocks|1397903410|3655966 said:
Would love to hear about other uses for this mixer other than the ones I've mentioned. I love appliances that work for me!!

I'm considering getting a meat-grinder attachment.
My SO likes hamburgers but I think of manufactured ground beef as mystery meat containing glob knows what ... cow buttholes, lips … whatever they swept up from the factory floor. :knockout:

Ground beef also carries a higher risk of being contaminated with something deadly like E. coli bacteria than a single cut of meat you'd grind yourself.
Sometimes hear of massive recalls of tons of ground beef that was shipped to, say, 24 states.
Each batch must contain meat from a zillion cows.
A single diseased cow contaminates the whole batch.

On the other hand a single cut of meat comes from one animal.
If a batch of ground beef is made from 10,000 animals your odds of getting a bad package is 10,000 times greater than if you ground your own.
Sure it's possible the single cut came from a sick animal, but the odds are much lower.

Don't want to threadjack but for Kenny and those considering this, an alternative would be to build a good relationship with a trusted butcher. You can choose your cut of meat and get them to grind it right in front of you, and most wont charge you for it, especially if you are a regular. If you could find a butcher with locally sourced meat, even better. This is how my aunt buys her ground beef, and for no other reason but because it tastes better.

And it tastes MUCH better.

Ninna

Shiny_Rock
The Chrome is just perfect! :love:
blackprophet|1398106199|3657252 said:

My SO likes hamburgers but I think of manufactured ground beef as mystery meat containing glob knows what ... cow buttholes, lips … whatever they swept up from the factory floor. :knockout:

this, an alternative would be to build a good relationship with a trusted butcher. You can choose your cut of meat and get them to grind it right in front of you, and most wont charge you for it, especially if you are a regular. If you could find a butcher with locally sourced meat, even better. This is how my aunt buys her ground beef, and for no other reason but because it tastes better.

Please excuse my thread jack. Yes! We grind our own meat using the meat grinder attachment or the food processor with great results [as long as I remember to partially freeze the cubes of meet beforehand].
I find the processor much easier to clean afterwards. The KA can get clogged if fattier cuts are being processed or meat is @ room temperatue :errrr:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
blackprophet|1398106199|3657252 said:
Would love to hear about other uses for this mixer other than the ones I've mentioned. I love appliances that work for me!!

Ground beef also carries a higher risk of being contaminated with something deadly like E. coli bacteria than a single cut of meat you'd grind yourself.
Sometimes hear of massive recalls of tons of ground beef that was shipped to, say, 24 states.
Each batch must contain meat from a zillion cows.
A single diseased cow contaminates the whole batch.

On the other hand a single cut of meat comes from one animal.
If a batch of ground beef is made from 10,000 animals your odds of getting a bad package is 10,000 times greater than if you ground your own.
Sure it's possible the single cut came from a sick animal, but the odds are much lower.

Don't want to threadjack but for Kenny and those considering this, an alternative would be to build a good relationship with a trusted butcher. You can choose your cut of meat and get them to grind it right in front of you, and most wont charge you for it, especially if you are a regular. If you could find a butcher with locally sourced meat, even better. This is how my aunt buys her ground beef, and for no other reason but because it tastes better.

Great idea.
Thanks.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I purchased one too (fairly recently) because I want to start making my own french macarons - I figured it was worth it since I'm spending about $2.50 per cookie to buy them at my gourmet food store.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
MissGotRocks|1398036052|3656777 said:
I agree Ellen - it is heavy so if you had to heave ho it out of a cabinet or closet every time you wanted to use it you just might skip it. Here's hoping you still have room!

Is your kitchen redo in the works or still the planning stages? More excitement for you!!
It's still in planning, vaguely. To be honest, after everything that went on with the livingroom, which was really minor in comparison, it has given me pause shall we say. Excitement? No. Dread? Yes! :lol:

Lulie

Shiny_Rock
Wow, definitely countertop bling…Congratulations!
Hmm....yes, I would like to have one please........ :love: :lickout:

16974.jpg

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your mixer is beautiful!!!! I have had Kitchenaid, Bosch and an Electrolux. Each was great for the stage of life I was in. My Bosch was a hand-me down from my mom and it was my intro to bread makiing. When we lived in the mountains, I cooked everything from scratch and made my own bread a lot. My kids loved it. I still make almost everything from scratch but we don't eat that much bread any more so my kitchen aid works for what I use it for now. I do make pizza dough nearly every week as my fam would rather eat homemade than store bought. But in all my mixers, I have never seen one as beautiful as yours!!!! I would also buy it just cuz it is a beautiful thing! I would enjoy just looking at it every morning when I walked in the kitchen!

Mine is black and is the professional model with a big motor. When I bought it they only came in a couple colors. I would love a cobalt blue one though. My kitchen has a lot of cobalt and white.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
momhappy|1398193499|3657972 said:
amc80|1398128736|3657488 said:

This is awesome! My husband said that I have to use my mixer at least 50 times before he'd consider one of those :lol:

Isn't it great? I love my KA but man, it takes up a lot of counter space. Now, if I had a chrome one I might not care....but mine is boring ol' white.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I really do love this mixer both for what it can do and for how it looks. I am fortunate that I do have counter space for it but I like things clean looking - not piled up. I was afraid it would look like a big pile of metal but fortunately, it looks like it has always been here. It's in a place that I can easily access and that definitely makes it more usable. If I had to drag it in and out, I can see where you'd just say forget it.

I was going to get one last year in a brown lacquered like finish (I have Baltic Brown granite) but just couldn't make up my mind to go for it. As it turned out, I'm glad I didn't because I didn't even know about this chrome one. Now I feel that even if I move I'll still be able to display it and have it match appliances or faucet or whatever. It cleans up easily and I can polish it like a diamond!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
MissGotRocks|1398209541|3658154 said:
Yes, I really do love this mixer both for what it can do and for how it looks. I am fortunate that I do have counter space for it but I like things clean looking - not piled up. I was afraid it would look like a big pile of metal but fortunately, it looks like it has always been here. It's in a place that I can easily access and that definitely makes it more usable. If I had to drag it in and out, I can see where you'd just say forget it.

I was going to get one last year in a brown lacquered like finish (I have Baltic Brown granite) but just couldn't make up my mind to go for it. As it turned out, I'm glad I didn't because I didn't even know about this chrome one. Now I feel that even if I move I'll still be able to display it and have it match appliances or faucet or whatever. It cleans up easily and I can polish it like a diamond!
And when you consider what another one of those would cost, this baby becomes a real bargain, doesn't it?! :bigsmile: ;))

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I bought my Wifey the classic plus a while back then bought a cover to make it the right color on the counter.
Total investment $85
Money well spent :}
I have my eye out for one of the larger ones but they are too much even used.
The thing is I could put it on CL tomorrow and have multiple calls from buyers with in minutes and get my money back in full.
They sell here within 20 min of being posted at that price or even slightly higher.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ellen|1398214299|3658209 said:
MissGotRocks|1398209541|3658154 said:

And when you consider what another one of those would cost, this baby becomes a real bargain, doesn't it?! :bigsmile: ;))

Yes, and the surface area is SO much larger than a new diamond - I'm a happy polishing girl! :lol: :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results