shape
carat
color
clarity

Earrings + Necklace too much in some cases?

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Chanel is famous for telling women to take ONE item off before leaving the house...

I love fashion almost as much as I love jewellery, and the fashion pack are fairly stripped back. I have a sneaking suspicion that wearing a necklace AND earrings at the same time can make me look older, frumpier, and basically less 'with it'. It could be a question of my gold colour choice (Yellow). Although YG is much more acceptable in Australia, it is still a more difficult line in the sand wrt fashion, esp with necklaces lol (in my view).

So often when I do wear both earrings and necklace, I feel self-concious and uncomfortable for the day, and I can't wait to get home to take my lovely necklace off. FWIW I only ever wear stud type earrings.

My husband bought me a quite nice 2.5mm round spiga (wheat) chain, 18 inches, for christmas...it came with a pearl pendant but I wore the chain alone yesterday with earrings and I was embarrassed all day. It just seemed too much with earrings as well...and of course I wear my wedding jewellery and my rhr...

Anyone else have thoughts on this?

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
Sure in some cases, depending on the items themselves, but in general? No, I don't think so. I'm wearing my wedding set, a right hand ring (both colored gemstones), stud earrings, and a strand of pearls today.

A beautiful gold chain is a lovely understated accessory and it goes with stud earrings perfectly!

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
thank you for responding aviastar!

yes I acknowledge this could just be my firstworld problem lol.
I have a very dainty HoF halo in the smallest size, which I wear slightly long on an extremely fine adjustable chain... that one doesn't seem to offend me overmuch...

I also have the lovely round 16mm pearl pendant which I now wear not on this fancy 18 inch wheat it was paired with, but on a very long fine chain, nearly opera length but much more casual...

I have melted down most of my other necklaces lol. But my husband keeps on buying them every christmas or two. Hoping I can make this latest one 'work'. And of course I have at least one other nice pendant which I really like and want to wear.

But just can't bear to have to go 'earring-less'! Am considering buying some 'blend-in' earrings specifically so my necklace can be the star??!
(Opal? clear quartz? )

It is very late at my end of the earth so I shall off to bed now.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
earrings plus strand of pearls....mmmm :cheeky:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In general I don't like too many pieces at once so I am rarely wearing a necklace, earrings ring bracelet and watch. My usual MO is watch, rings, earrings. Sometimes I will wear a necklace with earrings but then the earrings will have to be understated (i.e. studs) so there is not too much going on. When we have a party or special occasion I might wear more bling but again I try to balance the earrings with the necklace. So if it's a bold necklace understated earrings. Though I will wear dangly earrings with a simple necklace. But my favorite is usually just earrings without the necklace. But I always wear earrings otherwise I feel naked. 8)

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Generally, it's smaller earrings & bigger necklace or bigger earrings & smaller necklace. I'd say it's all about proportions. Would you feel more comfortable wearing white gold pieces or is this purely size issue? I like to wear large pearls so earrings then are small studs. But I do usually wear a necklace, earrings, watch and wedding band. Sometimes a bracelet gets added too.

Your 16mm pearl on long chain sounds very elegant. Next time you wear it, post a pic in this thread. [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/what-are-you-wearing-today.189756/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/what-are-you-wearing-today.189756/[/URL]

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
You wouldn't want to hang around me. Even over here in Afghanistan I walk around dripping diamonds. A ring on each hand, a SS & YG watch, my custom pendant, at least one pair of earrings, usually more. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sparklelu

Brilliant_Rock
Andelain|1397936078|3656206 said:
You wouldn't want to hang around me. Even over here in Afghanistan I walk around dripping diamonds. A ring on each hand, a SS & YG watch, my custom pendant, at least one pair of earrings, usually more. :lol: :lol: :lol:
My Kinda Gal!! Don't let anything cramp your style!!

I wear my diamond studs daily and now that I have the second piercing I wear baby bezels in those holes.
I almost always wear some kind of necklace. Sometimes my bezeled Barbara pendant, right now I'm wearing the vintage diamond cross DH got me for Christmas.
For work I often wear a strand or two of pearls, (real ones ) or *gasp* fashion jewelry, from Brighton or Lia Sophia ( every other teacher in school sells that or Origami Owl, so I have to support them and buy stuff.
As for looking dowdy with both on, nah, my new grey hair does that!! LOL. actually I think jewelry adds to your look making you look less dowdy and more put together.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
80% of the time I wear earrings and a necklace. If one of them is a statement piece then I wouldn't wear both. I also prefer coordinated pieces over matching pieces, matching pieces look dated to me. I once heard a recommendation to keep it to 7 shiny pieces. Shiny belt buckles, purses, shoe decoration, barrettes, etc. so, I try to keep my shiny things to jewelry so I can maximize there. Based on your description, I would def wear the necklace and earrings. I'm in the US.

I don't think YG is out of fashion. I think we see less bc they put diamonds in silver now to keep prices down, and it sells. I hear they rhodium plate so much these days. If you don't like your YG could you plate it and wear it?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LaraOnline|1397920095|3656081 said:
Chanel is famous for telling women to take ONE item off before leaving the house...

Hey Coco, I've got your fashion advice right here, lady!

screen_shot_2014-04-19_at_3.png

Hospatogi

Brilliant_Rock
Fashion fades only style remains the same!

_17084.jpg

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Well H, humph I see in that photo that Chanel herself is wearing lots of necklaces!!
And bracelets! And earrings!! Mr T looks rather cute..

I *do* like my yg. I have thought about swapping out to white metals in the past, and as a PS-er you can *know* I thought quite deeply on that! But it is easy to look like a hick in yg! Hence my suspicion of necklaces / chains.
I'm glad / relieved there has been something of a yg rebound.

Sparkle, I totally agree that jewellery definitely, definitely adds 'polish'. The question is balance, no? Perhaps the issue is me, I am worried I have a fattish neck lol.If I was a little taller praps I wouldn't be all hung up on this.
Which brings us to babymonster's good point about proportions. It is probably my proportions that are of concern here heheh.
:confused:

Andelain, I like your style and I tip my hat to you!! It is true that my lovely jewellery gives us addicts a little moodlift, every day, does it not? :)

missy perhaps it is a minimalism bug that has affected us both? Geez, minimalism is not a good thing for a jewellery addict to be infected with! But I'm starting to think this *issue* has got something to do with me being 160cm tall.

Anyway, today I am at home (Easter Sunday) with a stripped back face and nothing on but the chain. I *think* I can do this! :roll:
Have a lovely and thankful Easter, everyone!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am an Aussie as well and I think it is all about what you wear together and how you wear it. On some people too much looks fashionable on others it just looks cheap, depends on what it is, how it is being worn and what it is worn with (like the outfit etc)....

What you are describing sounds elegant and normal to me. I mix and match yellow gold and platinum all the time and I don't think anyone would think that it looks bad.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Andelain|1397936078|3656206 said:

Love it! :love: :love:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wonder about that. I went from nothing, to an ering. soon to be ering and studs. Now I want a necklace too. I think I should take it slowly and let myself get accustomed to each thing.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I wear both earrings and necklace almost all the time. However, I would never wear a matching set. I think the point is just to not look too overdone, so if you're wearing a statement piece (statement earrings or statement necklace), then I'd choose only one. If it's classic, simple pieces, then wearing both is fine.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
for me it is true.
and definitely true today: took the necklace off.

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
momhappy|1398017619|3656655 said:
I wear both earrings and necklace almost all the time. However, I would never wear a matching set. I think the point is just to not look too overdone, so if you're wearing a statement piece (statement earrings or statement necklace), then I'd choose only one. If it's classic, simple pieces, then wearing both is fine.

I'm not really sure what defines a statement piece, but I kind of think my pendant falls into that category. At least, I like to think so. 8)

NighttimeNeckPic.jpg

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
A statement piece is usually defined as something big/chunky, but I suppose it could be defined as a piece that is distinct, obvious, and/or eye-catching. I have some diamond necklaces (the largest of which is a 1.5 carat solitaire) and I don't consider any of them to be statement pieces.
The amount of jewelry that one wears really depends on a number of factors. I take things like occasion, outfit, setting, etc. into consideration when deciding what jewelry to wear. Today at Easter brunch, I chose to wear a long, vintage strand of Chanel pearls (with one, small, gold CC logo medallion) and a small pair of gold hoop earrings.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I usually wear both. I agree that proportion is important. I tend to wear earring that are on the small side anyway. The only thing I am not very fond of is matching sets. I have a couple of pieces that could be considered matching and I never wear the pieces together. I think that look is much more dated than wearing a pair of diamond studs and a necklace of some kind.

I think a statement piece can also be a piece that you wear often that people kind of recognize you by. If Andelain wears her three stone necklace every day then I think that is her statement piece.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
^yes, I agree. And a beautiful statement three-stone necklace it is! =)

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm in an undone period. With my studs and other diamond earrings AND necklaces going unworn!!! It's such a waste too! I never take my engagement ring and wedding band off (seriously) -- and still really enjoy wearing my big heavy black-faced men's dive style watch (with bracelets on the opposite arm if dressing up.)

But what's up with my neglect of all else!??? Just feeling the simplicity of stripped down I guess?

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I say if you like it, wear it, screw them...who cares what they think :wink2: I personally love yellow gold, I have bought some white gold..but I swear I just don't like it as well. In my case I never wear a necklace..back in the day I would wear a necklace and earrrings to match and usually a bracelet to boot, but now I don't, heck I don't even have a chain to wear my pendants on (even thought I am kinda of looking for one) and I never wear my bracelets...sigh...sometime I just put them on just because, I do love my bracelets.....I hope you can enjoy wearing your jewelry it is very beautiful!

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It depends. I almost always wear a pair of diamond studs but they are fairly small (1/3 ct each) and I usually wear a delicate necklace, watch and wedding ring with them. That would be my default setting. Most of the time I add a RHR. If I'm wearing a pair of flashier earrings, I don't wear a necklace and may or may not wear a RHR. If I'm wearing a "statement" necklace, I usually wear my studs anyway and don't wear a RHR. I think a statement necklace is something big and chunky or bold and colorful.

I was raised in the era of always matching metal colors but I'm trying to reform. I don't feel bad at all about wearing platinum with WG or silver. Today I'm wearing a YG necklace (that was part of my Stitch Fix) with my WG studs and I feel like I'm a very naughty girl.

I think some personalities and body types can get away with lots of jewelry and look fabulous. I think it also depends on the size of the jewelry. Several big, bold pieces is a no on most people. A big and bold piece with a couple of petite pieces is okay.

I agree with not wearing sets. Back in the early 90's I acquired a set of sapphires (terrible quality) and a set of "rubies" (probably not real). I rocked that Princess Di ring with the matching necklace and earrings though. I used to love the Service Merchandise jewelry counter. None of them have been outside the drawer in decades and I feel dirty admitting any of this.

The exception is pearls. I think pearls always look classy and wearing a set is fabulous.

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
momhappy|1398199756|3658020 said:
^yes, I agree. And a beautiful statement three-stone necklace it is! =)

Thank you! :wavey:

If you want to see a serious statement necklace, go look at Tanzigirl's new necklace in SMTB! :o :o :love: :love: :love:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It depends on the outfit I am wearing.

I do not wear a necklace with T-shirts or Polo shirts.

I prefer to mix and match my jewellery, and dislike wearing matching sets, and am not a fan of long dangling earrings as they do not suit me.

Nowadays I would wear earrings with a pearl necklace or pendant for dressier occasions.

DK :))

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I must be really "out of it" in a fashion-world sense, but as I look around at the real women in my life, they all wear multiple items (rings, earrings, necklaces, etc).

I always wear my watch and rings. I tend to wear larger fashion earrings (hoops and dangles), but they hide in my hair, so it doesn't seem over the top. And I usually, but not always, wear a 3-stone necklace that belonged to a now-deceased dear family member, and maybe a bracelet.

I love jewelry - it's why I'm here. So no, I don't usually feel self conscious about wearing it! :)

glitterpants

Rough_Rock
I know what you mean. I love yellow gold but I feel that since it stands out more vs. blending in with diamonds like wg/plat, it can look overdone, on me, when I wear both diamond pendant/earrings. If I wear a necklace, I'll either go earring-less or wear pearl studs which look more low-key (due to the more matte-ness, I think?).

However, I think stone-less 22k yellow gold looks amazing in abundance. One of the most stylish women, I've ever known, would stack a YG bezel diamond solitaire, hammered 22k band, thin dia eternity band on her left hand, a wide YG cigar band on her right middle finger, a multichain YG waterfall necklace and small matte yg starburst studs.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
I think it depends.
Me I wear very little jewelry day to day besides my erring, but when I go out I usually dress as an ensemble so the jewelry goes with it- Layered Pearls, multiple rings, gold bangles. Sometimes a lot, sometimes toned down. All depends on the occasion.

I say wear what you love, and what makes you feel confident, who cares what others say!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I dunno, I kinda like Mr. T. :rodent:

cheers--Sharon

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results