shape
carat
color
clarity

Help: Can anyone tell me if its a natural emerald?

frankincense

Rough_Rock
I got this pendant from ebay. It's stated as natural emerald. But it looks oily in some way. Any suggestions would help. Thanks a lot!

photo_626.jpg

photo_2__1_3.jpg

photo_627.jpg

ephsea

Shiny_Rock
I can't speak to it's pedigree, but nearly all emeralds are oiled in some way, so this would be normal. All the emeralds I saw in the jewelry store today had a visible coat of fresh oil on them.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
ephsea|1397868669|3655784 said:
I can't speak to it's pedigree, but nearly all emeralds are oiled in some way, so this would be normal. All the emeralds I saw in the jewelry store today had a visible coat of fresh oil on them.

Hmmm... I hate to threadjack, but I have to ask, does oiling affect the lustre of an emerald?

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
It is impossible to tell from a photo whether a jewel is synthetic or genuine, unfortunately. A gemologist might be able to give you an idea, but the only sure way to find out is to send it to a lab with the equipment necessary for testing. For colored stones, most people around here use AGL.

Your pendant is very pretty. The stone, though, doesn't have an emerald's transparency & glow, and from your photos, looks awfully clean for an emerald -- they usually have inclusions, called "jardin," -- yours could have been filled to hide them or could be synthetic. Was the pendant a great bargain? If so, that probably indicates it's not real or is highly treated. On the other hand, it's a pretty piece & worth wearing for how nice it is.

LK, since almost all emeralds are oiled & the good ones lustrous, I don't think oiling in itself affects luster. It might depend on the RI of the oil used -- some are not close to emerald's RI, but somebody with more expertise could tell you more than I can.

To the OP -- I'd say wear it & enjoy it!

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
JewelFreak|1397906042|3655973 said:
LK, since almost all emeralds are oiled & the good ones lustrous, I don't think oiling in itself affects luster. It might depend on the RI of the oil used -- some are not close to emerald's RI, but somebody with more expertise could tell you more than I can.

To the OP -- I'd say wear it & enjoy it!

Oh, I never even thought of the oil's RI.... makes sense that it affects something. Thanks for answering =)

frankincense

Rough_Rock
Thank you, everybody, very much for enlightening me with the knowledge on emerald.

I like the style of the pendant. It's dull in some way, which makes me concerned. But it also luster in the sunlight, or lamp light.

mohsin95

Rough_Rock
It's truly impossible to tell from a photo, a few tips though. Look at the hallmark on the pendant (925 is silver PT 985 is platinum and 18k will be white gold). Chances are nobody is going to set a fake emerald in solid white gold or platinum. Also, if you are able to get your hands on a diamond tester, chances are real diamonds = real emerald. Based on what I see in the picture it does not look like a real emerald, maybe a heated/oiled emerald but emerald's don't really have the luster. Just my opinion, though. Best way to tell is to take it to a pawn shop and not say you want to sell it...but not actually sell it!

mohsin95

Rough_Rock
It's truly impossible to tell from a photo, a few tips though. Look at the hallmark on the pendant (925 is silver PT 985 is platinum and 18k will be white gold). Chances are nobody is going to set a fake emerald in solid white gold or platinum. Also, if you are able to get your hands on a diamond tester, chances are real diamonds = real emerald. Based on what I see in the picture it does not look like a real emerald, maybe a heated/oiled emerald but emerald's don't really have the luster. Just my opinion, though. Best way to tell is to take it to a pawn shop and not say you want to sell it...but not actually sell it!

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
This is an Ebay find too (pre-pricescope)...a "genuine emerald" that turned out to be dyed quartz. Hoping it is okay I post it as a "learning experience". I did think the color was pretty and set it anyhow.. I stopped by and had a local gemologist check it out for me. She had all the equipment there and did not charge me a dime to tell me i had a lovely chunk of dyed quartz. I was a sucker :roll: but I should have known. I had one other buy that turned out to be a dyed rock too. I learned my lesson: Stick with known vendors with a track record or have appropriate papers and a return policy

I did finally get my emerald from a Loupetroop posting and a known PS'er (who was lovely to work with).

Drop in and have a local gemologist test it - I hope you did better than I did.

nottaemerald.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would enjoy it as it is. There are too many emerald simulants to know for sure what it is. Even if natural, there are dyed and reconstituted emeralds.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm in agreement that you should just enjoy it. Moneymeister, fwiw, I think your ring is fabulous, and if I could find dyed quartz as pretty as that, I might forego an emerald search.

As to looking at hallmarks and such as indicative of the center stone quality level, it is quite common for people to switch out center stones for a number of reasons, one of which is that people are often tricked by hallmarks and diamond quality. :blackeye:

frankincense

Rough_Rock
mohsin95|1397963829|3656418 said:

Thank you very much for the advice. It is 14k white gold. The diamond looks genuine to me. I will have it tested when I pass by a pawn shop.

frankincense

Rough_Rock
moneymeister|1398028977|3656728 said:
This is an Ebay find too (pre-pricescope)...a "genuine emerald" that turned out to be dyed quartz. Hoping it is okay I post it as a "learning experience". I did think the color was pretty and set it anyhow.. I stopped by and had a local gemologist check it out for me. She had all the equipment there and did not charge me a dime to tell me i had a lovely chunk of dyed quartz. I was a sucker :roll: but I should have known. I had one other buy that turned out to be a dyed rock too. I learned my lesson: Stick with known vendors with a track record or have appropriate papers and a return policy

I did finally get my emerald from a Loupetroop posting and a known PS'er (who was lovely to work with).

Drop in and have a local gemologist test it - I hope you did better than I did.

nottaemerald.jpg

Thank you for sharing your experience. I have a similar "natural" emerald ring like yours. But that is only around $10. Totally worth the money for its silver and style. I have no issue. But for this pendant, it is from a 100% feedback jewelry seller, and cost much more. I paid for a natural emerald, and thus want to figure out whether it is genuine. Wish I have a good luck.

frankincense

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1398090775|3657110 said:
I would enjoy it as it is. There are too many emerald simulants to know for sure what it is. Even if natural, there are dyed and reconstituted emeralds.

I never knew the fact about emerald. I thought it is the only issue with ruby. I should have learned more.

frankincense

Rough_Rock
minousbijoux|1398097374|3657182 said:
I'm in agreement that you should just enjoy it. Moneymeister, fwiw, I think your ring is fabulous, and if I could find dyed quartz as pretty as that, I might forego an emerald search.

As to looking at hallmarks and such as indicative of the center stone quality level, it is quite common for people to switch out center stones for a number of reasons, one of which is that people are often tricked by hallmarks and diamond quality. :blackeye:

That is true. I had such an experience before with jadeite pendant. It has a 18k yellow gold setting with diamond. But it turns out to be a treated jadeite B, instead of 100% natural jadeite A. Luckily, I found the fact within the returning period, and had it returned.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Minousbijoux, that was sweet of you to say. I do enjoy it, though I may rename it "folly-stone" :tongue:
frankincense, I hope your stone is real! Please do check back and tell us what you found out.

minousbijoux|1398097374|3657182 said:

frankincense

Rough_Rock
frankincense|1398113538|3657323 said:
mohsin95|1397963829|3656418 said:

Thank you very much for the advice. It is 14k white gold. The diamond looks genuine to me. I will have it tested when I pass by a pawn shop.

I went to a pawn shop yesterday. They could only tell the diamond and the metal, which both are genuine. For the emerald, they don't have the equipment to test it out. I will see if my husband can do something, as he is an optical scientist.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results