shape
carat
color
clarity

Caring for a Sapphire? Advice?

mohsin95

Rough_Rock
Okay so, I recently inherited a collection of gems and one of the pieces is a fairly large sapphire. The lawyer told me it came with a GIA report but I haven't gotten to the report yet (so much paperwork!). I don't really know the carat weight, or whether it is treated or not. The lawyer assured me it was of Kashmir origin but I know a kashmir stone is worth 3x the same Ceylon stone and 10x the same African stone. Anyways, I just want to know the best and safest way to clean it. I know corundum is scratch resistant (9 on mohs, I think) but will any chemical cleaners harm the stone? Is it safe to set in a ring? If it is indeed treated (which I think it is because it is very clean and even color, especially considering its size) do I need to be carefully not to damage the treatment?

_17137.jpg

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
Can you post the GIA report # of some of these stones you have? It seems important to you that we know they have these reports, so if you'll give us numbers we can look up the reports.

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
AND, I would do nothing until knowing for sure what you have since you have GIA reports.........find them.
Do not clean these stones until you know what you have from the reports--and especially don't use 'cleaners' of any kind! Your lawyer seems to know more about these and if it was an estate settlement and assessments were based on GIA reports........then you may have something valuable if it is identified as a clean Kashmir natural unheated sapphire. Plus, you said you had other gems......be careful to give all equal terms. There may be other hidden treasures than the word 'sapphire'..........proceed slowly until you know what you have. Have fun!!

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A cautionary note, until you see the paperwork for yourself:
It may be that there are GIA lab reports, but it's also possible (depending on the lawyer's level of knowledge of gems, how precisely s/he speaks) that the paperwork actually consists of appraisals drawn up by a person who can say they are a GIA Graduate Gemologist. GIA itself does not issue appraisals; an appraisal drawn up by a GG is not the equivalent of a GIA lab report.

So if that is what you actually have, you shouldn't consider the appraisal to be "the last word". And if the appraisal(s) were done in conjunction with the probate proceedings, they may reflect "low ball" figures, not necessarily what you' should insure this stone, or any of the others, for.

For the time being, you can gently wipe off this stone with a damp, soft cloth; I wouldn't even swish it around in warm, soapy water until you can ascertain precisely what level of treatment (if any) it's been subjected to.

mohsin95

Rough_Rock
Okay thanks, and no, I'm confident it's GIA. My grandmother always had GIA certification done. I'm surprised this stone is so clean because I can't remember her ever buying treated stones.

mohsin95

Rough_Rock
Thanks a lot, I know it may seem kind of pathetic to real gem aficionados like you guys but I got into gems from watching "Game of Stones" and Gem Hunt. I then inherited this lot, if it is indeed an unheated, super clean kashmir I know it could be worth a lot. I'm worried that it's not a deep enough blue though. The lawyer will send me the report as soon as the rest of estate is dealt with about a month. Fingers crossed!

mohsin95

Rough_Rock
Thanks a lot, I know it may seem kind of pathetic to real gem aficionados like you guys but I got into gems from watching "Game of Stones" and Gem Hunt. I then inherited this lot, if it is indeed an unheated, super clean kashmir I know it could be worth a lot. I'm worried that it's not a deep enough blue though. The lawyer will send me the report as soon as the rest of estate is dealt with about a month. Fingers crossed!

mohsin95

Rough_Rock
Wow you seem really suspicious... I don't know why, nor do I really care. Half my stuff is here, half my stuff is in the UK. I'm having to deal with customs, lawyers, etc. I don't really have time to go looking through all the paperwork to find reports for you... also I have a job! I like to come on here to discuss gems like all other members and not to prove anything to you. :angryfire:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mohsin95|1398058331|3656919 said:
Wow you seem really suspicious... I don't know why, nor do I really care. Half my stuff is here, half my stuff is in the UK. I'm having to deal with customs, lawyers, etc. I don't really have time to go looking through all the paperwork to find reports for you... also I have a job! I like to come on here to discuss gems like all other members and not to prove anything to you. :angryfire:
You can retire now!.. :wink2:

Marge_C

Rough_Rock
Wow what a beautiful blue! If it looks anything close to that in real life vs. my monitor you are a very lucky lady!!! I have a few little blues myself but nothing of that calibre.

As far as cleaning it, I concur with the advice you've already received; wait until you get the GIA paperwork. GIA grades stones of all treatment levels, so having a GIA certificate does not guarantee a fully natural sapphire. You could also send it off to the AGSL lab to be certified so you know what you have there if the wait proves trying. It's my understanding that they can also determine origin!!! There is no such thing as too much paperwork for an untreated Kashmir sapphire. :naughty:

Some treatments will come undone, so be careful until you know the level of treatment.

And from experience- only take it out of the box in carpeted areas! :saint: Sapphires can chip (and be scratched) just like any other stone, and a pendant with a solid chain will protect it from anything other than dropping it.

I'd love to see the rest of the collection. Buy yourself a loupe and a copy of Ruby and Sapphire by Richard Hughes seeing as how you've inherited a new hobby! :))

***From MollyMalone "For the time being, you can gently wipe off this stone with a damp, soft cloth; I wouldn't even swish it around in warm, soapy water until you can ascertain precisely what level of treatment (if any) it's been subjected to."

mohsin95

Rough_Rock
Can't say I want to. Was I blessed to inherit this amazing collection yes! Would I want to stop working at the age of 31? And do what with the rest of my life? I'm going to self off most of these stones (except major sentimental value) and travel at the age of 65. :lol:

mohsin95

Rough_Rock
I'll do a detailed post with all my collection with certificates once I have everything sorted. I have smaller, less clean sapphires and the GIA reports I have seen for them actually had both an analysis of treatments: (NTE No treatments) as well as the geographic origin, most were from Ceylon. I've already purchased a loupe and I'll definitely look into that book!

mohsin95

Rough_Rock
Marge_C|1398065592|3656947 said:
Wow what a beautiful blue! If it looks anything close to that in real life vs. my monitor you are a very lucky lady!!! I have a few little blues myself but nothing of that calibre.

As far as cleaning it, I concur with the advice you've already received; wait until you get the GIA paperwork. GIA grades stones of all treatment levels, so having a GIA certificate does not guarantee a fully natural sapphire. You could also send it off to the AGSL lab to be certified so you know what you have there if the wait proves trying. It's my understanding that they can also determine origin!!! There is no such thing as too much paperwork for an untreated Kashmir sapphire. :naughty:

Some treatments will come undone, so be careful until you know the level of treatment.

And from experience- only take it out of the box in carpeted areas! :saint: Sapphires can chip (and be scratched) just like any other stone, and a pendant with a solid chain will protect it from anything other than dropping it.

I'd love to see the rest of the collection. Buy yourself a loupe and a copy of Ruby and Sapphire by Richard Hughes seeing as how you've inherited a new hobby! :))

***From MollyMalone "For the time being, you can gently wipe off this stone with a damp, soft cloth; I wouldn't even swish it around in warm, soapy water until you can ascertain precisely what level of treatment (if any) it's been subjected to."

Thanks for the treatment advice, even if it is treated I don't want to risk any damage. Also, I'm a lucky guy not lady :lol: !

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
It sounds like a wonderful windfall! Playing with them alone would give me a giant thrill. Once you get them all in one place & have time, photos would be, ahem, extremely welcome. Your grandmother must have been a smart cookie with the right priorities. :love:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sorry if some of us sound suspicious, but truly, we are not. We are only trying our best to look out for your interest since we have nothing to gain either way, other than sharing your excitement and helping you enjoy your inheritance. I prefer to err on the side of caution and until I have or see the paperwork, I tend to take things slow and easy.

I agree with Molly that most people confuse an appraisal written by a GIA graduate gemmologist with a lab report issued by GIA, thinking they are the same when they are 2 very different things. This is not to say that you don't know the difference, but your lawyer may not know this and used the incorrect term unknowingly. In any case, until you find out more, I would not do anything with the stone at all, since the treatment is unknown at the moment. Once that has been determined, we can advise you accordingly.

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1398079965|3657015 said:
I am sorry if some of us sound suspicious, but truly, we are not. We are only trying our best to look out for your interest since we have nothing to gain either way, other than sharing your excitement and helping you enjoy your inheritance. I prefer to err on the side of caution and until I have or see the paperwork, I tend to take things slow and easy.

I agree with Molly that most people confuse an appraisal written by a GIA graduate gemmologist with a lab report issued by GIA, thinking they are the same when they are 2 very different things. This is not to say that you don't know the difference, but your lawyer may not know this and used the incorrect term unknowingly. In any case, until you find out more, I would not do anything with the stone at all, since the treatment is unknown at the moment. Once that has been determined, we can advise you accordingly.

Yes, Chrono, we're suspicious. :wavey: The OP is trolling us with 'borrowed' pics. Take a look at page 2 of this thread. [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/forum/hangout/favorite-diamond-color-t200997-30.html']https://www.pricescope.com/forum/hangout/favorite-diamond-color-t200997-30.html[/URL]

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Andelain,
I just saw that thread late yesterday. I'm very interested to see how all this unfolds. ;))

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1398169676|3657732 said:
Andelain,
I just saw that thread late yesterday. I'm very interested to see how all this unfolds. ;))

I think all that'll happen is 2 new posters and their threads will disappear, or at least get locked. It's pretty funny and pathetic, but we'll enjoy it while we can. :lol: :lol: :lol:

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I was wondering about the multiple posts that were unusual IMO...........

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most of these threads are a waste of time. But the one on FCDs I thought had some very thoughtful and kind, replies from Kenny that could help out newcomers. Not only that, but it might keep them entertained as they read. ;)) I hope that Ella does not delete that one.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results