shape
carat
color
clarity

Sapphire Setting advice

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Hi everyone! I'm going to get my Montana sapphire set. I brought it to my jeweler weeks ago with some diamond melee because I think I want a halo and plain shank. The sapphire is a 6.2 round and the diamonds are tiny 1 and a half points. So just slightly over 1 pointers. It took him like a month to get back to me but whatever. Anyway he says he cannot find a stock setting that will work? I'm guessing it could be the size of the diamonds. What do you think. Is it an unusual size? I just emailed him back. He says one of the jewelers can make a ring for me for a little bit more. What's your opinion?

I just want a simple halo, center stone in prongs, plain shank.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Do you know what stock companies he uses? Stuller? Adwar?

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
FrekeChild|1397845468|3655601 said:
Do you know what stock companies he uses? Stuller? Adwar?
Hey Freak. No I don't. I figure he has access to all the major ones.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Now the jeweler isn't answering my email. Very frustrating.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Perhaps he hasn't answered your e-mails because of the Passover/Easter holidays?

FWIW, this is the Stuller halo mounting I found that's closest stone-wise; can be ordered for either a 6 mm or 6.5 mm round stone, contemplates that the halo will be comprised of 1.1 mm, "pinpoint"-set diamonds, so even smaller than your 1.5 pointers, I'm sorry to say
http://www.stuller.com/products/71490/?groupId=97051

Stuller is always willing to send along any of their stock mounting with the melee or accent stones already set, so maybe you'd consider that instead of using your own for the halo in one of their mountings? They also are now willing to, e.g., customize many settings to precisely suit a non-stock-sized center stone, but there are no halos showing up in either the Ladies Rings or Bridal roster of those:
http://www.stuller.com/browse/featured-items/center-stone-size-options/ladies-rings/
http://www.stuller.com/browse/featured-items/center-stone-size-options/bridal/

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
MollyMalone|1398127429|3657468 said:
Perhaps he hasn't answered your e-mails because of the Passover/Easter holidays?

FWIW, this is the Stuller halo mounting I found that's closest stone-wise; can be ordered for either a 6 mm or 6.5 mm round stone, contemplates that the halo will be comprised of 1.1 mm, "pinpoint"-set diamonds, so even smaller than your 1.5 pointers, I'm sorry to say
http://www.stuller.com/products/71490/?groupId=97051

Stuller is always willing to send along any of their stock mounting with the melee or accent stones already set, so maybe you'd consider that instead of using your own for the halo in one of their mountings? They also are now willing to, e.g., customize many settings to precisely suit a non-stock-sized center stone, but there are no halos showing up in either the Ladies Rings or Bridal roster of those:
http://www.stuller.com/browse/featured-items/center-stone-size-options/ladies-rings/
http://www.stuller.com/browse/featured-items/center-stone-size-options/bridal/

Hi Thank you for the link! Yes perhaps that is the problem. The melee size. And yes he could be busy due to Easter ( he could be catholic, not sure). But he's had my stone for a month now, and I emailed him two weeks in a row ( just once a week), and called twice before he finally got back to me the first time. I like using him because he's a nice guy, and does good work at competitive prices. But I'm starting to wonder if I'm going to have my ring before summer.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No wonder you're feeling frustrated: a month with no progress -- and since he has the sapphire, you haven't even been able to enjoy looking at it. Here's hoping he contacts you first thing in the AM, ready to get the ring rolling!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you think that perhaps he is dragging his feet because he isn't keen on the work (not much payback since all he is getting paid for is basically labour)?

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1398170215|3657736 said:
Do you think that perhaps he is dragging his feet because he isn't keen on the work (not much payback since all he is getting paid for is basically labour)?

Maybe. But he is providing the setting. All I'm providing are the stones. And he's done stuff for me in the past like this, and always with my stones. I know he gets a lot of work. Every time I go in someone is right before me and right after me. And endless stream. But still. I'm going to ask if I can have it by June.

Wonder if I'll get a response?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
innerkitten|1398177133|3657787 said:
Maybe. But he is providing the setting. All I'm providing are the stones. And he's done stuff for me in the past like this, and always with my stones. I know he gets a lot of work. Every time I go in someone is right before me and right after me. And endless stream. But still. I'm going to ask if I can have it by June.

Wonder if I'll get a response?

I hope so too. My local guy can take up to 1 month to do a simple setting (I provide the stone and setting) due to their work load.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I haven't heard back so I'm going to call him today. I just want to make sure i can have it by June.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I give up! I feel like swearing right now. First it took like 6 weeks for him to get back in touch with me. Then he gave me a quote like two weeks ago. So I was like okay fine. Then he wrote today and now it's more expensive than last week. I just emailed and told him it's above my max now and I'll either find another setting idea or just come and collect my stones.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So sorry, IN. :(sad I would take my things back and look for a different jeweller.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Chrono, yes I think I will. There are plenty of jewelers in the city so I'm just going to have to start looking. This is the last stone I want to have set by a jeweler for a while because I want to focus more on making my own things. It's just what I enjoy doing right now. And I want to incorporate the small diamonds in this project because I have no idea what I'd do with them otherwise.

Hopefully I'll have time soon to start looking around for someone.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
P.S. I don't know if I would have minded the price increase so much if he had been a little more prompt about getting back to me in the first place. But he made me feel so unimportant by ignoring me for so long that it turned the whole thing into a not so great experience.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
innerkitten|1398803784|3662979 said:
P.S. I don't know if I would have minded the price increase so much if he had been a little more prompt about getting back to me in the first place. But he made me feel so unimportant by ignoring me for so long that it turned the whole thing into a not so great experience.

IK: I bet we would all feel the way you feel if we were in your shoes. :(sad This has got to be the most frustrating thing, when you find out that there has been no communication and no action after the initial promise. Given how often this type of thing seems to happen with vendors, it must be harder than I think to juggle clients and workload. Still, its just bad customer service - and you, being an established, repeat customer, should be the one he covets and treats well. :nono:

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
minousbijoux|1398816193|3663145 said:
innerkitten|1398803784|3662979 said:

IK: I bet we would all feel the way you feel if we were in your shoes. :(sad This has got to be the most frustrating thing, when you find out that there has been no communication and no action after the initial promise. Given how often this type of thing seems to happen with vendors, it must be harder than I think to juggle clients and workload. Still, its just bad customer service - and you, being an established, repeat customer, should be the one he covets and treats well. :nono:

Thanks! And you are right. There are two sides to every story.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I had emailed him and told him that it was getting a little expensive and that maybe I should just do this whole project off till a later date or find another design and just come by and get my stone. So he emailed today and said maybe he can do it for the original price quote. So maybe things will work out after all. We'll see.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
This has been a tough project, IK. I'm sorry! It's a bummer when a jeweler you've used & trust disappoints you. Hope everything goes ok from now on with him & he gets you your ring in time!

--- Laurie

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JewelFreak|1398977798|3664631 said:
This has been a tough project, IK. I'm sorry! It's a bummer when a jeweler you've used & trust disappoints you. Hope everything goes ok from now on with him & he gets you your ring in time!

--- Laurie

Me too! You are exactly the kind of client he should want to cultivate.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1398997416|3664839 said:
JewelFreak|1398977798|3664631 said:

--- Laurie

Me too! You are exactly the kind of client he should want to cultivate.

My thoughts exactly! So sorry this is happening! I know first hand the frustration of working with a jeweler who either isn't responsive or just plain doesn't "get it". I hope your project comes along according to your wishes soon, IK.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm glad your jeweller finally got back to you and honoured the originally quoted price. Before you agree to the work, I think you'll have to discuss about your expectations with him (estimated completion date and slow/lack of communication) since these are clearly bothering you.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone. For the advice and everything!

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Innerkitten, I've just read all of the shenanigans your jeweler put your through - I am really sorry about that. It's really hard to not get a response when you're excited about a project and then to almost take a price increase to boot…BUT, I am really glad that you got the original quote, and I hope that things move along more smoothly for you. Please keep up posted, and good luck!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results